Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/19/2002 2:27:42 PM EST
I know this has been discussed but what are the pros/ cons of 12 hour shifts, we are on ten hours now and everybody loves them, admin wants 12 for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:28:26 PM EST
We used to work 12 hour shifts. Detention still does. It works for them, for patrol it sucked. We are, and have been on 10's for about 8 years now. The problem with 12's is everything seems to happen when it is almost time to get off. Court is another problem. You do get a three day weekend off every other weekend, but you are usually so tired you don't feel like doing much. I was much younger in those days, and it was still rough. BTW-We also had a higher crash rate due to fatigue, more citizen complaints, because of fatigue, and a higher turn over rate.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:34:49 PM EST
12 hour shifts suck!! We are on a 2 on 2 off, 28 day cycle. Two 12 hour days on, then two days off. High turnover rate, low moral.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 8:40:15 AM EST
We work 4 on 4 off. That is kinda nice. Course being a Supervisor in EMS is not really a physically challenging job. [:)] The 4 days off in a row are sweet though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:02:40 AM EST
I Work 5 on 2 off, 5 on 3 off...8 Hour 35 minute tours, I would kill for a 10 hour tour 4/2,4/3???
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:47:11 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:36:41 AM EST
I work a 4/10.5 plan. We have 12's available but i avoid those positions.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:10:27 PM EST
Until I left the streets, I was on 12s. Everyone likes them a lot, and has rejected offers to change. We work on a 80-hour pay peiod (although FSLA says that if you adopt this schedule, they can do it 84 hours before OT kicks in. Pay periods are saturday-Friday. It works something like this: Off Saturday and Sunday (and the preceding Friday in a separate pay period). Work Monday and Tuesday. Off Wednesday and Thursday. Work Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Off Monday, Tuesday. Work Wednesday, Thursday. Off Friday (pay period ends). One shift per pay period is an 8-hour day; officers come in late or go home early, to keep it an even 80 hours, but FSLA doesn't mandate this. This is also a good day to use to "flex" or adjust schedules for mandatory and special unit training scheduled on RDOs. You never work more than three days straight. We actually found that officers were better rested, sick days were fewer, and everyone was happier than 10s. 12s are less manpower-intensive; you can put more officers on the streets with a smaller overall strength than 8s or 10s, and manning is directly against a position, instead of having to factor in days off and many separate rotations of personnel to keep minimum manning levels. You also get to build cohesive teams of officers who always work together, all the time. The downsides are that you have to adjust shift changes for slow periods or you'll eat it on OT costs if everything major drops around shift changes, and the troops get worn out. You also will eat it on OT when you have mandatory training (if you can't do it on-duty), because the only effective way to do it is to pull one of the RDOs. A major PD in California did a pretty big productivity, sick leave and medical study during the 80s on shifts and found that 12s work the best.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:11:27 AM EST
I worked the Pitman Schedule (12 hr.) for approx. two years before retiring in '97. It [b]SUCKED![/b]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:51:17 PM EST
I like our 12-hour schedule. Like Natez's, ours includes one 8-hour shift per pay (Friday). We work steady shifts (all days or all nights), with the Friday 3-11 being covered by part-timers. We end up working 36 hours in one pay week, and 44 in the other, and the extra 4 hours are paid at overtime rate. Our pay periods are Monday-Sunday, and our 2-week schedule goes: Work Tues, off Wed, Thurs, work Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, off Tues, work Wed, Thurs, off Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon. The 4 on, 1 off, 2 on sucks, but the 4 day weekends off are great, and if you take your Tuesday off, you're off for 7 days. Andy
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:41:21 PM EST
we go five on, five off 11.5 hour shifts. i really works great for our 11 deputy department. we still maintain our 172.5 hours a month and get two weekends off a month.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:01:16 AM EST
I think 12s are a crappy solution to a larger problem, usually money/budget. Most will probably say that the turnover rate will increase and use of sick time will increase. It will actually cause more problems. Personally, if my department went back to 12s I'd quit. I still take college and have a wife and 6 yo to do stuff with. [smoke]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:43:06 AM EST
I like my 12 hr shift...3pm-3am...with an 80 hr pay period I work 44 hrs one week, 36 the next...plus my three day weekend every other weekend coincicdes with payday...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:10:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/11/2002 7:11:58 AM EST by dpcop]
I really like our current schedule, we work 4 10 hour shifts, then three off. You always have a three day weekend, and your days off are consistent. Every once in a while, we talk about going to 8's or 12's, but everyone is overwhelmingly against the idea. A local SO went to 12's, but it only lasted a month, as the overtime costs when something happened towards the end of shift were killing them. On 10's, there is usually enough overlapping coverage that the offgoing officers don't have to cover anything major. Its not perfect, we really don't have enough coverage weekend nights between midnight and 3am, but the 4on/3off is nice. We?ve also talked about adding a weekend powershift to help fill this gap. dp[0J]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:30:10 PM EST
Avoid 12's at all costs! The bosses like them because it make scheduling easy. You get better coverage from a 10 or a 10.25 like we went to a few years ago. Everybody loves them. We work 6 on, 3 off, then 6 on and 6 off. You can take an off duty job with that or even nicer, use 6 days of vacation and it's between 6 off and 3 off, so you get 15 days off in a row for using 6 days vacation! Half a month! Also, you put in your 2080 per year so they can't say you're short and they don't need to pay OT for court, training, etc. We've been forced into some 12s due to low morale and high turnover, it sucks ass! Much fatigue, sick leave abuse, etc.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:41:19 PM EST
12 hr shifts have ups and downs depending on where you work. If you are in a one horse town and dont want to do anything, they are fine and you get more days off. If your supervisors are pricks and watching your every move they suck terribly. I would say go with 10's. We work a 5 on 4 off 10HRS. They wanted to switch to a rotating schedule. If they do I will quit the next day. 4 days off is excellent!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:58:11 PM EST
I would love anything steady. Our schedules are 8 hour days, with two week shift rotations (11-7a to 3-11p to 7a-3p). There are two short changes (ex. get home at 3p be back at 11p) and one long change (off at 7a be back at 3p the following day). Days off are never the same. Example: Depending on the whim of your supervisor and his perceived man-power needs you could work 7 then be off 3, then on 4 and off 2, on 9 off 4. There's is no predictability. Vacations have to planned way in advance. Comp days are pretty flexible if you happen to notice that a certain day is overstaffed and put in your request first. There really is no organized way for me to explain this scheduling. I'm am now going to curl up in the corner and go to my happy place.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 12:19:48 PM EST
I enjoy our schedule. 4 on 4 off, 11.75 hour days, steady shifts. I work the 1645-0400 shift and it is the best one. No bosses except the watch commander (Lt.) and our road sergeants. The days are long and hard but worth the 4 days off every week.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:56:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2002 4:57:39 AM EST by medcop]
I basically set my own sched. I can work as few as 1 hour or as many as 24. I usually try to do a 10 hour day. Before narcotics I worked 8 hours shifts rotating day, nights, graveyard every six weeks. That really sucked! You would get used to one shift and BAM, you have to change. It was also 6 on 2 off with a 4 day weekend every six weeks. It think 10 hour shifts are perfect. Getting into 12 hours shifts people tend to get tired and we all know what getting tired on the job does. medcop
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:45:49 PM EST
We work 4 on 3 off. 12 hour shifts work great for our jail personnel.
Top Top