Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/17/2006 9:12:56 PM EDT
Phillips will be sending repairmen to your homes to install new parts.

Please don't draw down on them!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:14:30 PM EDT
In fact don't draw down on any plasma tvs. They're expensive.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:17:23 PM EDT
No, I meant the repairmen

Its okay to draw down on the telly
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:15:35 AM EDT
There is some good news on the HDTV front: Sony has said that they are leaving the analog port on the new Blu-Ray players open for now (Blu-Ray players are due out at the end of March 2006).
arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060314-6377.html

....Previously, Sony said that they would block high-definition output on the analog feed, only allowing it on the standardized digital feed. The reason given involved preventing people from making copies of high-definition media.

The practical problem with this is that many of the HDTV's already sold only have analog ports for HD input,,,, -so many of those people wouldn't have been able to view high-definition video from the Blu-Ray players at all, despite just recently having paid lots of cash for a high-definition television (-or I suppose, for another HDTV, after the first one has blown up). And roughly $900 for a Blu-Ray videodisk player.

.....Or, as I heavily suspect, after deciding NOT to spend $900 for a Blu-Ray videodisk player.... My guess is that Sony did a bit of last-minute polling and found they were about to give birth to a $900 Minidisk.
~
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:31:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Floppy_833:
There is some good news on the HDTV front: Sony has said that they are leaving the analog port on the new Blu-Ray players open for now (Blu-Ray players are due out at the end of March 2006).
arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060314-6377.html

....Previously, Sony said that they would block high-definition output on the analog feed, only allowing it on the standardized digital feed. The reason given involved preventing people from making copies of high-definition media.

The practical problem with this is that many of the HDTV's already sold only have analog ports for HD input,,,, -so many of those people wouldn't have been able to view high-definition video from the Blu-Ray players at all, despite just recently having paid lots of cash for a high-definition television (-or I suppose, for another HDTV, after the first one has blown up). And roughly $900 for a Blu-Ray videodisk player.

.....Or, as I heavily suspect, after deciding NOT to spend $900 for a Blu-Ray videodisk player.... My guess is that Sony did a bit of last-minute polling and found they were about to give birth to a $900 Minidisk.
~

I wish I knew what all of this technical crap means. I need a new TV and don't have a clue where to start.

Last time I bought a TV the only options I had to worry about were brand name and screen size.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:07:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SUPERSPORT:

I wish I knew what all of this technical crap means. I need a new TV and don't have a clue where to start.

Last time I bought a TV the only options I had to worry about were brand name and screen size.

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:13:50 AM EDT
I could care less about HDTV... I never really watch TV anymore anyhow...
Top Top