View Quote
because its fun....
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:38:39 PM EDT

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:38:53 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why...?
View Quote
To make a shotgun slightly less of a bad choice for defense. Slightly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:39:35 PM EDT
Armor or not, if you get hit with a slug it's gonna hurt.
Most likely a lot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:40:07 PM EDT
So far as I know, flechettes don't really fly straight. If they happened to hit straight on, they might get through.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:40:44 PM EDT
without a proper sabot....they don't work (as in fly straight)

and when they do fly straight they don't have enough mass to penetrate much.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:41:56 PM EDT
And I'm guessing it's 2-3X the cost of a Brenneke.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:42:44 PM EDT
Considering what happens to the guy who catches a slug in his soft body armor WITHOUT it penetrating, I really don't see the need, but tards are gonna tard.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:45:18 PM EDT
Quoted:
Considering what happens to the guy who catches a slug in his soft body armor WITHOUT it penetrating, I really don't see the need, but tards are gonna tard.
View Quote
Yep. Over 3000ft lbs of energy at close range is gonna make the body become jello. Penetration be damned.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:47:02 PM EDT
Quoted:
Yep. Over 3000ft lbs of energy at close range is gonna make the body become jello. Penetration be damned.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ya, but then you've made the assumption that the GD reader understands physics.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:49:11 PM EDT
BFI made these 25 years ago
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:50:25 PM EDT
I wonder if you can even get the velocity up high enough to penetrate armor with a shotgun.

Maybe a .451 250gr solid copper spitzer projectile in a sabot?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:54:29 PM EDT
Meh Ill stick with 762 API
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:27:41 PM EDT
That vest went flying
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:42:02 PM EDT
Lol.  A solution in search of a problem.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:05:10 PM EDT
Quoted:
I wonder if you can even get the velocity up high enough to penetrate armor with a shotgun.

Maybe a .451 250gr solid copper spitzer projectile in a sabot?  
View Quote
Even better, a 30cal 187gr Black Tip in a sabot.  You might need a long barrel gun to give the powder time to burn fully, but a round that light with a full 12ga load of powder ought to have sufficient velocity to make a mess of any soft body armor and maybe even plates.

I guess it would be useful in a "shotguns only" environment, but an M-1 Garand, M-1A or an AR-10 loaded with Black Tips would be more practical.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:10:40 PM EDT
I like the DDupleks Monolit solid steels myself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:19:42 PM EDT
The Hero Of Canton Extended Mix - The Ballad Of Jayne

Even better

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:26:44 PM EDT
Quoted:
BFI made these 25 years ago
View Quote
You mean BRI
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:38:15 PM EDT
What you did there...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:47:13 PM EDT
Because armor piercing 12 gauge cuts through anything!

Showtime - Final Shootout Scene

Anything!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:15:55 PM EDT
Quoted:
What you did there...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:04:42 PM EDT
Quoted:
So far as I know, flechettes don't really fly straight. If they happened to hit straight on, they might get through.
View Quote
You're correct, we did a semi-formal test of them a few year back and the findings could be summarized so:...
1)  With 19-20 flechettes per shotgun shell, half need to be loaded backwards in order for the fins to fit.

2)  That means that half the payload is going to have no aerodynamic stability and will veer off the intended flight path as soon as they exit the muzzle.  Don't think those flechettes are just going to re-orient straight and head to the target, they won't.  Testing showed an 8' diameter pattern at 21feet.  Yes, 20 flechettes spread out over about 38 sqft.  That's ONE flechette per 288 sq. in. approximately.

3)  Not being lead, the flechettes don't have the sectional density of a lead ball, so they don't retain momentum or velocity, reducing penetration.

4)  Speaking of penetration, of +/- 60 flechettes launched (3 rounds) less than a dozen struck the target medium and only half of those hit hard enough to stick into either the bullet resistant vest or the plywood behind it.  The majority left shallow impressions of sideways impacts.  Of those flechettes that Did hit the vest and Did penetrate, the penetration was stopped by the fins on the end of the flechette.

Bottom line.. unless you're hit in the eye, flechettes are about as dangerous as an ice pick stuck 5/8th's of an inch into your skin.  Can You survive that and still be in the fight?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:12:48 PM EDT
An armor penetrating 12ga round may be pointless against body armor, but I could see it having value against barriers or vehicles.

Being able to poke a hole and cause a leak in an enemy vehicles gas tank would certainly add versatility to the pump action shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:16:05 PM EDT
Conical solid copper foster-type slug? Or a DDupleks with a cone (point) rather than a flat?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:30:24 PM EDT
Quoted:
An armor penetrating 12ga round may be pointless against body armor, but I could see it having value against barriers or vehicles.

Being able to poke a hole and cause a leak in an enemy vehicles gas tank would certainly add versatility to the pump action shotgun.
View Quote
Sure, but almost any gun can do that, especially traditional slugs.
Top Top