Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 11:38:02 AM EDT
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2016/04/20/dad-sentenced-shooting-three-year-old/83292008/

A Detroit man whose 11-year-old son allegedly shot and killed a 3-year-old while playing with a gun will spend up to 17 years behind bars in connection with the case.

The 3-year-old victim was visiting Bryson’s home in the 16000 block of Eastwood when police say he was shot around 1:40 p.m. Aug. 3 by Bryson’s 11-year-old son, who was visiting his father.

The case against the 11-year-old boy was dismissed.  He was charged in Wayne County Juvenile court in the shooting but was found incompetent to stand trial.

Bryson told The Detroit News in August 2015 that his gun was locked up in a bedroom closet.

"My son broke into my stuff,” he said last year.

Previous story

"It was locked in my closet and the bedroom door was locked, too,” Bryson said. "I did the right thing. Everyone thinks I’m the bad one, but my son broke into the window and broke into the closet.”

Dad's history is a bit sketchy

Bryson still faces a charge of altering identification marks of a weapon. Giles said there was evidence to show that there was an attempt to scrape off registration numbers. An arraignment on the information on that charge is set for Sept. 22.

Earlier Tuesday, prosecutors pursued the case against Bryson, saying he knew that his son had an "unhealthy fascination” with guns and had previously been caught handling weapons.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

What says the GD jury?

I want to know how secure was the closet and did the kid do something extraordinary to open it?

If it was a solid door with a good lock and the kid used a sawzall or a crowbar to open it, I would be inclined to be lenient on dad.

So what's reasonable security against having an 11 year old access your firearms?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Everybody gets fucked in this story.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I am of the opinion if you have kids and have guns the guns go in a safe.  Not a sheet metal stack on brand container, an actual safe.  Just my opinion though.  I realize most of GD leaves their loaded guns lying all over the house and their highly trained kids know better.  My 5 kids know better as well, but in the safe the guns still go.

ETA - I don't think there should be laws concerning weapon storage, just common sense on part of gun owners.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Or, the kid could have been taught correctly. Been allowed to handle the gun after asking to remove the taboo. Been taught to be responsible.

If dad knew the kid was one of those defective ones, he should have taken greater measures to keep the gun, and ammo separate and away from the kid.

There are too many of us who were raised with readily available guns around the house who never shot anyone to think otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
When I got married, the wife's kids were in their teens.  2 girls with 0 interest in firearms and they both seemed responsible.

I kept the firearms, unloaded, in a locked closet.

If I didn't think the girls were trustworthy, I would have had a higher level of security.

For most 11 year olds, I would have thought a locked bedroom door and a locked closet would be sufficient.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top