Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 3:12:37 PM EDT
Four-Year-Old Killed After Car Accident

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A 4-year-old boy was killed when his 10-year-old cousin backed a car over him, police said.

The mother of the older boy gave him her keys Sunday and told him to start the car, Sgt. Justin Risley said. The car had backed up about seven feet when the boy heard a scream, got out and found cousin Nicholas Shankar underneath, Risley said.

The mother of the 10-year-old was cited for child neglect, Risley said.

10/27/04 13:34
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
An accident.  WTF?  "Child neglect?"   That's screwed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I cant think of any 10 year olds I'd have start my car for me.. That 10 year old is going to have some issues later on in life.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother kicked my dads truck into gear while strapped into a car seat. It went through the garage door.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I cant think of any 10 year olds I'd have start my car for me.. That 10 year old is going to have some issues later on in life.

Unless he's pre-disposed to a mental handicap, I wouldn't think so.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Failure to properly supervise the 10 year old.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to start my mother's car  when I was that age.  She left it in gear once and I rolled down the street, hopping out of the passenger side door because the drivers side door was broken (was scary for a 10 y/o).

I don't really see anything wrong with him starting it, but the 4-year old should have been somewhere the parent or guardian knew........what the fuck was he doing behind the dam car?  I can't imagine ever again speaking to a babysitter/family member that was watching my son that let that happen.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At some point the government needs to accept that shit happens.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The mother of the older boy gave him her keys Sunday and told him to start the car

'Shit' didn't happen.  The mother gave the boy her keys with instructions to start the car.  What she did was wrong.  I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't realize that.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I bet that lady is kicking herself right about now...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The mother of the older boy gave him her keys Sunday and told him to start the car

'Shit' didn't happen.  The mother gave the boy her keys with instructions to start the car.  What she did was wrong.  I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't realize that.  

How is that WRONG?  Are you saying a 10 y/o isn't competant enough to START a car?  The fault lies with the fact that a 4-y/o was right behind the car.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Still, should we always find people criminally at fault for simple mistakes? Would you think when giving a kid the keys to a car and asking him to start it that this would happen? Probably not. Should this be extended to 17 year olds? Their parents give them cars, and keys. If they have an accident and someone dies should the parent be charged with Negligent Homicide?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How is that WRONG?  Are you saying a 10 y/o isn't competent enough to START a car?  The fault lies with the fact that a 4-y/o was right behind the car.

Like this guy says, at some point you have to expect kids to have some responsibility.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Four-Year-Old Killed After Car Accident

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A 4-year-old boy was killed when his 10-year-old cousin backed a car over him, police said.

The mother of the older boy gave him her keys Sunday and told him to start the car, Sgt. Justin Risley said. The car had backed up about seven feet when the boy heard a scream, got out and found cousin Nicholas Shankar underneath, Risley said.

The mother of the 10-year-old was cited for child neglect, Risley said.

10/27/04 13:34

Okay, You don't let a ten-year-old start your car.  It wasn't "child neglect" or an accident.  It was poor judgment on Mom's part.  Thus, it is mom's fault for the whole thing.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#15]

In some parts of the country, even to this day, kids regularly drive tractors with little supervision at this age. When are they old enough to start, and who are you to decide?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How is that WRONG?  Are you saying a 10 y/o isn't competant enough to START a car? The fault lies with the fact that a 4-y/o was right behind the car.

Society has to determine the age at which most people are competent to perform certain tasks that are not constitutionally protected.  You must be 16 to legally drive a vehicle.  Most 10 year-olds don't possess the maturity or ability to safely operate a car.  

Quoted:
In some parts of the country, even to this day, kids regularly drive tractors with little supervision at this age. When are they old enough to start, and who are you to decide?

We are not talking about a tractor in an open field where the margin of error is wide.  Though considering how dangerous farming is and how many accidents there are, it's not the greatest of comparisons.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I cant think of any 10 year olds I'd have start my car for me..

At 10 I already had a year or so experience driving Jeeps and dune buggies through the desert under adult supervision and was a better driver than most 20 year olds.  At that age my brother was about 6 and knew not to play under the wheels of vehicles.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How is that WRONG?  Are you saying a 10 y/o isn't competant enough to START a car?  The fault lies with the fact that a 4-y/o was right behind the car.

Yes, I would say that a 10 year old does not belong behind the wheel of an automobile without an adult being there to take immediate charge should anything happen.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#19]
That 10-year old has got problem too.. if you are told to only start the car, just start the freakin car and get out!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#20]
WTF would she need the car started prior to her sitting in the driver's seat? To let it warm up? It's California...not Nome AK. Sounds like a lazy adult to me...or she just wanted the 10 yr to leave her alone for a minute or two.

The 4 year old died as a result of her not wanting to be bothered by having to insert a small piece of metal and turning it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn.....
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
..... Are you saying a 10 y/o isn't competant enough to START a car?

Hell yes!  

+1...especially unsupervised, when other children *might* be in the area...it's aburd that anyone would think this a good idea.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I think the 10 y/o just proved he wasn't competent by backing over the 4 y/o.  Doesn't get much more incompetent than that.

A 4 y/o doesn't comprehend the the danger associated with a 10 y/o behind the wheel of a car.  The parent, the root of the problem, must take steps to prevent a dangerous situation.  In this case the parent created the dangerous situation.  Complete stupidity.

Kent
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#24]
+1 for the mom being a lazy asshat. Yeah, accidents happen. And YEAH... many times it's because SOMEONE SCREWED-UP. It was NOT an accident. The 10 year-old did NOT accidently start the car up. The [supposed] adult told him to do it. When a child screws-up, fair or not, the parent is ultimately responsible.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#25]
damn, that's messed up... giving a 10 year old your car keys to "start the car?"

Up until last year, I wouldn't trust my brother with car keys, and he's 21!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top