Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/22/2001 10:31:35 PM EDT
I have heard that the 10mm has great speed and power and can get thru some pretty hard targets, but the 45 created a better wound channels (as said by FBI test). I have also read about people hog hunting with the 45 and being very un-impressed with its abilities to stop the porker, the autor even went to say if he had hit the pig in the same places with a 22LR it would have had a better effect.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:35:27 PM EDT
Take it with a grain of salt but the reason I like the .45acp so much is because of my Grandfather. We were watching some action movie were a guy had gotten hit a few times with a .45 and my Grandfather, being a WWII vet, said "that's bullshit." "You hit anybody anywhere with a .45 and they're going to drop."
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 11:13:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2001 11:14:30 PM EDT by warlord]
I have never been in the military, let alone in combat, but if you look at the ballistics of the 10mmACP, but the power of this cartridge is close to that of the 41 Rem Mag. The 10mm is probably the most powerful cartridge availible for a common service pistol size. Where the 45 would fail to penetrate, no problem for the 10. Somebody is going to discover the difference between cover and concealment real quick.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 11:19:58 PM EDT
WW1,WW2,Korea,Vietnam,Grenada,Panama,Desert Storm among others. Battle proven .45ACP!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 6:40:13 AM EDT
I have a .45 in 1911 and a 10mm in G20. The 10 has (almost) half again the velocity and double the energy of the .45. 10mm=.40cal. and could be classified as a Magnum. You'll be hard pressed to find a hotter automatic hand gun round. (other than the Desert Eagle) Here in MN you can't deer hunt with the .45ACP because of it's lack of penetrating power, but you can with the 10. In combat, penetration isn't everything, but knockdown is...few cartridges knock down better than the venerable .45ACP
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 6:44:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sprayboy: In combat, penetration isn't everything, but knockdown is...few cartridges knock down better than the venerable .45ACP
View Quote
What does "knockdown" mean? I am a litle fuzzy on this.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:03:40 AM EDT
The biggest difference between the two is accuracy/control. *If* you can put the 10mm on target, it's a more powerful cartridge and will do more damage. However, you are more likely to get the .45 where you want it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 7:25:34 AM EDT
I LOVE the 10mm. I plan on getting a S&W 1006 or 1026 10mm and a G20. 45ACP, battle proven only because the 10mm didn't come out first! [:)] BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:20:31 AM EDT
I took a tour of the Wash DC headquaters of the FBI, and as a finale I saw a FBI agent fire a HK MP5/10. Other people have mentioned that the 10 is such a stout round that it is causing parts breakage etc. The thing about the follow up shot in a 10mm pistol is quite valid because the recoil is stout. Whether this round has a place in the police/military is another matter. Many people on this board are gun ethusiasist, whereas the average person in the police/military is probably not.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:28:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By doorgunner84: Take it with a grain of salt but the reason I like the .45acp so much is because of my Grandfather. We were watching some action movie were a guy had gotten hit a few times with a .45 and my Grandfather, being a WWII vet, said "that's bullshit." "You hit anybody anywhere with a .45 and they're going to drop."
View Quote
And that's just as much folk lore and urban legend than anything I've ever heard. There are antidotal stories of two neighbors who started shooting at each other (Guns and Ammo, way back when), one armed with a .22 and the other with a .45. One man was shot 5 times in the torso with the .45 and drove himself to the hospital where he ultimately made a full recovery. The other man was shot a single time in the chest with the .22 and died before he hit the ground. The bullet punctured his heart. All handguns are horribly under powered compared to rifles. The .45 is no more a [b]deathray[/b] than the 10mm or the .44 Mag. People can easily survive being hit by any of them, and often do. You, like many people, make the mistake of thinking it's a handguns power which kills. No, it's shot placement that kills. You can shot me in the gut with a .45 and if given proper medical attention, I will make a full recovery. And, if I'm pissed off and in a fighting mood when you shoot me in the gut, chances are I will continue to fight.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:46:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wgunn:
Originally Posted By doorgunner84: Take it with a grain of salt but the reason I like the .45acp so much is because of my Grandfather. We were watching some action movie were a guy had gotten hit a few times with a .45 and my Grandfather, being a WWII vet, said "that's bullshit." "You hit anybody anywhere with a .45 and they're going to drop."
View Quote
And that's just as much folk lore and urban legend than anything I've ever heard. There are antidotal stories of two neighbors who started shooting at each other (Guns and Ammo, way back when), one armed with a .22 and the other with a .45. One man was shot 5 times in the torso with the .45 and drove himself to the hospital where he ultimately made a full recovery. The other man was shot a single time in the chest with the .22 and died before he hit the ground. The bullet punctured his heart. All handguns are horribly under powered compared to rifles. The .45 is no more a [b]deathray[/b] than the 10mm or the .44 Mag. People can easily survive being hit by any of them, and often do. You, like many people, make the mistake of thinking it's a handguns power which kills. No, it's shot placement that kills. You can shot me in the gut with a .45 and if given proper medical attention, I will make a full recovery. And, if I'm pissed off and in a fighting mood when you shoot me in the gut, chances are I will continue to fight.
View Quote
Thank You! Finally. All this 9mm vs. 45ACP vs. 10mm vs .357 vs Stinger Missile stuff is conjecture. Urban Folklore. All large cal handguns (.38-.45) are effective. Soft placement is key. If you fire once you are a fool. I prefer a rifle any day. Soapboxin, Zaz
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:47:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 12:27:03 PM EDT
The 10mm, fully loaded, is much better for hunting big game. That said, most 10mms are semiautos that might not be able to cycle lighter, subsonic plinking or suppressed loads. Full power loads in a 45 ACP are still subsonic - easy on the ears and economical of powder.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 12:35:17 PM EDT
The 10mm can be loaded down to light 40cal levels and still function in most guns. 9mm levels are prob gonna be to low to work. BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:03:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wgunn:
View Quote
View Quote
I couln't agree with you more, shot placement is everything. So, which round is more controllable?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:28:08 PM EDT
That's gonna depend too, type of hold, experience of the shooter, hotness of ammo, design of the gun etc. Your uncontrolable might be acceptable to me and visey versy. BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:38:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ECS: I couln't agree with you more, shot placement is everything. So, which round is more controllable?
View Quote
I love the 10mm. I own several; a 1006, an EAA and a Glock 20. All great guns and fun to shoot. What do I carry? Easy, a custom Springfield 1911 in .45 ACP. Great selection of defense rounds, very comfortable (ergonomic) and for me quite controllable. I believe the .45 ACP is probably one of the better carry rounds out there, but every once in a while I'll take my P7M8 when I need to really hide my pistol. I carry Golden Sabers in the 45 and 124gr HydraShok's in the P7M8. I've never felt under-gunned with a good 9mm either. I actually like the cartridge a lot. But the 1911 fits my hand so well, and I shoot it so well... that's what I prefer to carry. The 1911 and the .45 go hand-in-hand... and the .45 is a great cartridge, so that's what I use. I don't believe the .45 is blessed by a deity or is the worlds only deathray like some folks, it's just a good all around cartridge which shoots nice IMHO. What handgun round is the best "man stopper"? The one which is chambered in the gun you can shoot the best with (preferable 9mm or larger). The one you've practiced the most with and are the most comfortable with. Hell, if that's a .22 LR Browning pistol, then carry it. It beats the hell out of that Ruger .454 Casull which you can't hit a parked car with at 10 yards.
Top Top