School of Rock
Meet the parents
Meet the fockers

that'll get things started...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#3]

From what I hear, the Notebook.  Haven't seen it yet, but the dames seem to love this movie, and most guys say it is watchable as well.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of my all time favorites

The Quiet Man
Secondhand Lions
The Princess Bride
Casablanca
North By Northwest
The Philadelphia Story
An Affair To Remember
The Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Fargo
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#5]
LOVE ACTUALLY = romantic, funny, feel good movie HAUN = satirical, funny, zombie flick HALL = funny, feel good movie (but be advised its about a middle aged married man who was bored with his life and took up dancing lessons) HNNY = action comedy (guy from Mr. Bean / Rowan Atkinson) HE = animation, action comedy, fun movie (this is good) HFUL = drama, sexy movie (about infidelity of course .... sorry but i love Diane Lane) HORROR = kinda' scary. full of scenes that will startle you. (the new one)hock.gifhock.gifhock.gif
SIXTH SENSE = need I say more! really scary! hock.gifhock.gifhock.gifhock.gifhock.gif

If you can get KUNG FU HUSTLE or SHAOLIN SOCCER (Honkong made movies with english subs), just for sh*ts and giggles. Funny stuff.

ETA: These titles are by no means in a "need to own" category. BUT they are worth checking out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The Quiet Man
Secondhand Lions
The Princess Bride
Casablanca
North By Northwest
The Philadelphia Story
An Affair To Remember
The Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Fargo

Goodfellas? I wouldn't expect taht they would like that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#8]
These may seem kinda random but, they are all ones that I've really enjoyed. +1 to all being femme compliant.

-Better off Dead
-Fast times at Ridgemont High
-So, I married an axe murderer
-O brother where art thou
-Dazed n' Confused
-Lost Boys
-Dr. Strangelove
-Sling Blade
-Rain Man

recent hit:

-Million Dollar Baby

*edited for stupidity
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Quiet Man
Secondhand Lions
The Princess Bride
Casablanca
North By Northwest
The Philadelphia Story
An Affair To Remember
The Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Fargo

Goodfellas? I wouldn't expect taht they would like that.

I know plenty o' women dat like Goodfellas. My muddah likes Goodfellas. You talkin' bad about my muddah?

PS Where's your list?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]

The Rocketeer (actually classifies as everything so it counts: love story, history, action, etc.)
Frequency
Fried Green Tomatos
Reel Big Fish
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:55:20 AM EDT
[#12]
A Beautiful Mind.  The life story of John Forbes Nash Jr., a Nobel Prize winner who suffered from schizophrenia. This is an excellent movie IMO.

Shrek and Shrek 2. Computer animation sendups of popular fairytales. Good jokes if you can recognise the fairytales they send up and good music soundtracks.

The big three from Japanese director Akira Kurosawa, The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro. These films inspired The Magnificent Seven, A Fist Full of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More (it's ironic that Kurosawa made these movies after watching US westerns and was criticised in Japan because they were "too American", and then these movies inspired more westerns). They are all black and white with Japanese voicetracks (with English subtitles).  There is some action in them but the action is not the point of the movies. If you want something a bit more intellectual there is Kurosawa's Ran, based on Shakespear's tragedy King Lear, but set in Feudal Japan and his version of Macbeth, Throne of Blood.

Brassed Off. Set in a declining English coal mining town, the mine is on the verge of closing (it's the town's biggest employer) and the town brass band is struggling to keep going. An "underdogs succeed against the odds" movie, with some implied criticism of the English Thatcher government policies of the 80's which accellerated the mine closures.

The Full Monty. Another English movie in another declining industrial town (Sheffield). A group of unemployed men who struggle to find work amid company closures and downsizing decide to put on a male strip show to bring in some cash. No, it's not ghey, it's a comedy, and a good one at that.

The Italian Job (the 1969 original, not the 2003 remake). A "bank robbery" movie with a very original car chase through Rome.

I don't know how many people would say these movies are "must see/have", Beautiful Mind is probably the best of them IMO, but they're all worth watching at least once.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#13]
12 angry men
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#14]
While You Were Sleeping

Practical Magic

Eraserhead
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#15]
In no particular order (nor nearly a complete list)

Back to the Future
Wayne's World
Almost Famous
High Fidelity
Grosse Point Blank
Ghostbusters
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Blues Brothers
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Pushing Tin
Tin Cup
Ferris Bueller's day Off
CaddyShack
Kindergarten Cop
Grumpy Old Men
Hitch
The Ninth Gate
Stalag 17
And Justice for All

Plus

Dog Day Afternoon
Somethings got to Give
As Good as it Gets
Goodwill Hunting
Finding Forrester
Housesitter
Out of Africa
Dead Poets Society
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 for Princess Bride & 9th Gate.

Also Legends of the Fall.  It's got enough guns & manly adventure to keep us men folks interested, and Brad Pitt to make her swoon.

Devil's Advocate is another one.

Scent of a Woman.

Pirates of the Carribean.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Inherit The Wind
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Holy Grail

The song remains the same

AGI AK build video

Office space
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I really liked Oh Brother Where Art Thou
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top