Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/11/2002 11:59:34 AM EDT
OK, My uncle just stoped by and gave me 10lbs of Elk, that my father wanted to try(and he's making me cook tonight). I have no Idea what to do with it...looks good, but need some idea of how to cook and season it..Any Ideas?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:01:15 PM EDT
Maybe you shouuld try eating it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:03:16 PM EDT
Elk is generally so good, you can cook it just like beef.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:04:04 PM EDT
Elk Jerky :)
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:05:19 PM EDT
Frontsight- Im trying to eat it, but since Ive never had Elk, I thought I would ask the people here for ideas on preparing it. Im sure there has to be at least 1 hunter in the bunch around here!! [:\]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:14:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2002 12:19:12 PM EDT by Chimborazo]
[b]Disclaimer - [/b]I have never tried either of these... Here's an easy one: [b][blue]Elk Steak Fingers [/b][/blue] [b]Ingredients:[/b] 1 cup flour 1/2 tsp. garlic salt 1 tsp. dried onion flakes salt and pepper 1 egg 3/4 cup milk 1 cup cracker crumbs Cooking Oil 1 1/2 lbs. Elk Steak [b]Instructions:[/b] Mix flour, garlic salt, onion flakes, salt and pepper together, cover steak with flour mixture and tenderize. Cut steak into strips or nugget sizes. Beat egg and milk in a bowl, dip pieces and roll in cracker crumbs. Cook in oil in skillet. If you have more time or left over meat, try this too: [b][blue]Southwest Meat Marinade [/b][/blue] [b]Ingredients:[/b] 3/4 cup cider vinegar 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce 1 tsp. ground cumin 1tsp. cayenne pepper 2 tsp. dry mustard 1 tsp. ground ginger 1 minced garlic clove 1 medium onion quartered [b]Instructions:[/b] Combine all ingredients. Place meat and marinade in plastic bag or container, cover and refrigerate. For best results marinate elk meat for 24 hrs, turning meat occasionally. Cook however you choose, as you would venison or other larger game. [b][i]Of course, if we had a recipe forum, this would be easy to find...[/b][/i] [;D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:18:36 PM EDT
For a first attempt, chop up a couple pounds and make stew with it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:28:22 PM EDT
Chimborazo [b]Southwest Meat Marinade[/b] sounds really good! I think I might try that..thanks for the recipe. Shadowblade, I would share, but between my dad, and a 160Lb Rott-- Nothing bloody escapes this house! [BD]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:29:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:55:42 PM EDT
If you've got backstrap, just saute some garlic in olive oil in a saute pan. Season both sides of the backstrap with salt and pepper, and sear each side in the garlic/olive oil for a few seconds. Grill to finish. Grill some onions to go along with it. If you've got stew meat: Elk Stew 2 pounds elk stew meat 2 carrots peeled and sliced 1 medium size onion, chopped salt pepper 3 tbsp. flour 1 can (12-16oz.) beef broth 4 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 tsp. thyme 1 or 2 bay leaves 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced 1 cup burgundy wine Cut stew meat into cubes and remove silver skin. Brown stew meat and put in crock pot. Brown carrot and onion and season with salt and pepper. Add flour to carrot and onion. Add broth, mix well and add to crock pot. Add garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Add mushrooms and burgundy 1 hour before serving.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:12:29 PM EDT
Well I have 3 huge Back straps--and what appears to be 6 Hind legg steaks (i think). I can't believe that there is hardly any fat on these cuts. I appreciate all the advice, and if I like the Elk, I will be sure to try each recipe(if I can nab some more Elk of my Unc). I've decided to marinate in pressed Garlic, fresh ground pepper, and some Extra virgin Olive Oil...Than Im gonna Grill em over some sweet mesquite chips soaked in Jack Daniels. I will let you know how they turn out...Thanks for all the help...Much Appreciated
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:55:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:28:20 PM EDT
I'd bet that Chimbrazio could make road kill look/taste good[;)].....whats going on with the Recipe forum[;)]anyways?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:35:00 PM EDT
Whatever recipe you use cook the meat real fast or it will become very dry as elk meat is really lean meat
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:46:57 PM EDT
Tastes like beef. Did you get steaks or burger? Cook you're favorite beef recipe and you won't go wrong.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:36:45 PM EDT
update: The steaks were excellent! I didnt realize how quick the steaks would cook, and being very thick cuts at 1" thick or better___I would have though cooking time would be much longer than it was. As far as the taste, all I can say is..Drooool! All I can say is if you havent tried elk, your really depriving your taste buds from one of God's finest meat's.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:42:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:44:48 PM EDT
BBQ Im sure it would taste good on the grill I love Venison on the grill. Just a few of my favorite seasonings and gill it. You get the real taste of the meat. Im sure you could do it with Elk.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2002 10:52:33 PM EDT by Tate]
I know it's late, but hopefully y'all didn't eat the whole ten pounds tonight. Sounds like you did a great job - bravo! Whatever you do - DON'T OVERCOOK IT!!!!!!!!!! More excellent meat is destroyed by overcooking than anything else. If you have steaks (or heck - any chunk of meat cut up can be a steak) and you want to see what elk **really tastes like** do this: Get a skillet hot - not glowing, but very hot. Get your steaks ready by rubbing with a little S&P. Drop in a bit of butter and spread it around. Cook steak **quickly** on both sides - the smaller the steak pieces, the better - your results will be more consistent. After a skillet-full or two, you'll want to rinse the skillet, wipe with a paper towel, and re-butter so that you don't have a burned butter taste. Venison is kick-ass prepared this way and you get to taste the flavor of the meat. bon apetite...
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:11:58 AM EDT
Throw them into a Ron Popeil "Ronco" Food Dehydrator and jerkey them up. Make some $$$$ at the next gun show.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:27:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mags: I'd bet that Chimbrazio could make road kill look/taste good.....whats going on with the Recipe forum[;)]anyways?
View Quote
I guess nobody wants to do it. Oh well. [V] Thanks for the compliment though!
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 11:35:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RottieDog: Well I have 3 huge Back straps--and what appears to be 6 Hind legg steaks (i think). I can't believe that there is hardly any fat on these cuts. I appreciate all the advice, and if I like the Elk, I will be sure to try each recipe(if I can nab some more Elk of my Unc). I've decided to marinate in pressed Garlic, fresh ground pepper, and some Extra virgin Olive Oil...Than Im gonna Grill em over some sweet mesquite chips soaked in Jack Daniels. I will let you know how they turn out...Thanks for all the help...Much Appreciated
View Quote
Holy shit what were you asking us for?! That sounds outstanding!
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 11:41:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Chimborazo:
Originally Posted By mags: I'd bet that Chimbrazio could make road kill look/taste good.....whats going on with the Recipe forum[;)]anyways?
View Quote
I guess nobody wants to do it. Oh well. [V] Thanks for the compliment though!
View Quote
I thought and still think it's a great idea. GOATBOY!!!!!!! BTW - like stated above a good rule of thumb for venison is cook it hot and fast.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:29:50 AM EDT
Then post your opinion here: [url]http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?id=120173[/url] A Food & Beverage forum. Beer, wine, whiskey, wild game, steak, etc...
Top Top