Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/18/2016 2:03:04 PM EDT
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2016/2/18/theme_parks_beaches_.html

This is the fifth consecutive record year for visitation in Florida, exceeding the previous high of 98.5 million in 2014 by 6.6 percent. The average number of direct travel-related jobs in 2015 was also a record high, with about 1.2 million Floridians employed in the tourism industry — up 53,400 (or 4.7 percent) over the same period last year.
View Quote

That's an average of 287,000 people visiting here every single day. Put another way, it would be as if every single citizen of the UK and Poland visited Florida in 2015.

You can talk all the shit you want as long as you're paying your bed taxes
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Florida: The Silent Holocaust.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Kind of strange don't you think. All these people coming and yet not one wants to stay ?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kind of strange don't you think. All these people coming and yet not one wants to stay ?
View Quote
nearly every person I meet has moved down here and is not from here. Maybe 1 out of 20 I meet are actually from Florida. Not sure where you are getting that no one stays lol.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
nearly every person I meet has moved down here and is not from here. Maybe 1 out of 20 I meet are actually from Florida. Not sure where you are getting that no one stays lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. Politifact found 630 people a day move here. People actually remark "Wow, you grew up here?!?!" because it is so rare.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2013/apr/02/will-weatherford/will-weatherford-says-1000-people-day-move-florida/
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
My loser brother-in-law moved to Florida.

Now whenever I see a "Florida Man" headline, I have to check to see if it is him. Sooner or later it will be.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the pasty white tourists here.

The reason we have no income tax, while they pay hotel, rental car, etc taxes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever, I don't bash the Gunshine State. We visited for the first time last year and loved everything about our trip. If I could find employment that pays what I make here in flyover country, I'd move us to Florida in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, please don't.

In fact, it's so terrible here please don't ever consider even coming here. Seriously.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I love the pasty white tourists here.

The reason we have no income tax, while they pay hotel, rental car, etc taxes.
View Quote

Be thankful for the pasty white tourists visiting Mickey or you would all be strippers or bath salt zombies living under bridges.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#10]
What!s wrong with strippers and some of our bridges are really nice under them.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tampa had the Mons Venus when I lived there, one of the best strip clubs in the country at the time.

Best meaning, no ugly chicks, celebrities coming to Tampa to I assume bang some hot strippers there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I am going to be in Florida for the first time in my life in a couple weeks.

I have been to 45 of the 50 states but have never been to Florida.

I'll be one of the pasty white people. I lived for 30 years in the desert. Last year I had my first skin cancer removed from my ear. I don't even wear shorts any more.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am going to be in Florida for the first time in my life in a couple weeks.

I have been to 45 of the 50 states but have never been to Florida.
View Quote

His name was 444
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I came to Miami almost 31 years ago and ended up staying.

It's a different part of the country and not for everybody.

All Spanish, all the time...24/7.

And I grew up in Los Angeles, where most of the Mexican/Mexican-Americans speak English as a rule.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No kidding. Politifact found 630 people a day move here. People actually remark "Wow, you grew up here?!?!" because it is so rare.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2013/apr/02/will-weatherford/will-weatherford-says-1000-people-day-move-florida/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that all the time.  Everyone at work is from up north, it is fucking amazing
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#16]
People visit Florida for weather beaches and Disney, not for the fucked up people that live there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And I grew up in Los Angeles, where most of the Mexican/Mexican-Americans speak English as a rule.

Chris
View Quote

I have been in FL since 1975 and only been to Miami once.

Completely different country down there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife and son just landed in Tampa this morning for a short stay

Myself and the whole damn family will be there in April  
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
People visit Florida for weather beaches and Disney, not for the fucked up people that live there.
View Quote

80% of Floridians are transplants
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I grew up in Tampa and graduated from Chamberlain High.  Moved to PA right after that.  I'd go back any time, hate the cold!
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I love Florida.

I love it even more in the summer when all the tourists think its 'too hot' here and vacate.  I love that they vacate back up to the urban NE where its 90 and humid every day and they somehow think Florida is worse.

Keep thinking that.  

Only another month or so and the snowbirds are gone.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

I would really hope that if I lived in another country for 20, 30, 40+ years, that I'd learn the native language.

I have neighbors who have been here for decades and can barely say 'hello' in English.

My theory is that since so many people are Spanish speaking down here, there's no pressing reason to learn English.

Miami is its own 'banana republic,' which I guess for some, is part of its charm?

Chris
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Moving to FL this spring/summer.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mom just moved there full time. Another NYer for you guys.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#27]
We just come to gawk.

TC

ETA: I'm not a "Florida person" (don't like the humidity in the summer) but I'm getting closer to being one. I could fly out of MIA and live in Naples.  Or, I could move to the Villages and experience an STD for the first time in my life.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I love Florida.

I love it even more in the summer when all the tourists think its 'too hot' here and vacate.  I love that they vacate back up to the urban NE where its 90 and humid every day and they somehow think Florida is worse.

Keep thinking that.  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_cool.gif

View Quote

After Easter there is a big dust cloud heading north.

All the MI, OH, NY license plates heading home.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#30]
My family lives in New Port Richey and Palm Harbor.

My four-day visits every five years or so is enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#31]
You act like you are the only state that gets visitors, ever wonder where they all go come summer?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My family lives in New Port Richey and Palm Harbor.

My four-day visits every five years or so is enough for me.
View Quote

Well duh, there are jokes here about NPR and PH.

Get down to Cabbage Key area south of Tampa, best Tarpon fishing in the world in season, and not a bunch of people around either.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get the same thing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/42/77/a6/4277a6639dbfb1eabef6d4e05eadd9c2.jpg

Same here!

<-------   5th Gen Floridian here!

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You act like you are the only state that gets visitors, ever wonder where they all go come summer?
View Quote

North and Pacific North West, where it's cool.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#35]
We just visit for entertainment, you know, trying to catch a show

ETA:
Melissa Miller, 41, was arrested earlier this week for doing 100 mph in a 30 mph zone. She told the cops who pulled her over that she "... was letting the Lord spirit [sic] guide me," and claimed she banged the car horn long and hard because of "the Lord telling me to do it."

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

It didn't become the 3rd most populous state because nobody stayed. I wish a lot of them didn't.

1 California39,144,818
2 Texas27,469,114
3 Florida20,271,272
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Tampa had the Mons Venus when I lived there, one of the best strip clubs in the country at the time.

Best meaning, no ugly chicks, celebrities coming to Tampa to I assume bang some hot strippers there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was there a few times back in the day. Girls were gorgeous but still approachable, Nothing like the girls in Vegas or NYC.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Everyone hates a train wreck, but we still can't take our eyes away.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#39]
All your wimez are belonging to us.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

And while you're heading back up I-95, take a Canadian under each arm  
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We know, that's where we keep them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2016/2/18/theme_parks_beaches_.html

This is the fifth consecutive record year for visitation in Florida, exceeding the previous high of 98.5 million in 2014 by 6.6 percent. The average number of direct travel-related jobs in 2015 was also a record high, with about 1.2 million Floridians employed in the tourism industry — up 53,400 (or 4.7 percent) over the same period last year.
View Quote

That's an average of 287,000 people visiting here every single day. Put another way, it would be as if every single citizen of the UK and Poland visited Florida in 2015.

You can talk all the shit you want as long as you're paying your bed taxes
View Quote

Oh really?  I lived in Florida.  Constantly hearing about Yankee this and Northerners that, NYC blah blah blah....NY sucks.  Guess where everyone took field trips to.....NYC.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I vacation at Indian Rocks Beach. Love it there and wouldn't mind retiring there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny, in my state FL is the second most common point of origin for new residents. Adding in the half-backs and second homers makes it even worse.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I head down there once or twice a year, leave a bunch of my money with an overgrown Mouse, and come back tired... but the family has a great time, every time.

If WDW was anywhere else, I'd probably never visit the state again... and I could be on a panhandle beach in three hours' drive or so.

View Quote

You are site staff now? Congratulations!

FL is not that bad.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#47]
i have a hard time believing that almost 1/3rd of the entire US population visited FL over a 12 month period.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Never been there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
i have a hard time believing that almost 1/3rd of the entire US population visited FL over a 12 month period.
View Quote

Fewer people going multiple times?

GF's father flew into town last night and it's his second visit in a year, same with her mom and sister, both with 2-3 visits in a year and they all flew in, so the airlines would have that data.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#50]
So,... my sis comes here from Cali. 2 weeks ago and wants to see the Everglades.

I tell her were going to be 25 miles from anyone. No phones, no bathrooms.

She says, "You mean I have to piss on a boa constrictor."

We got out there and she tried her phone. No phone service.

I told her we don't do tourist traps here. You get to see the real thing.

Wat are all the tourists looking for. Ya got it, a hotel and a drink. Much fun, not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top