Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2001 9:17:18 PM EDT
My cousin flys light observation helicopters for the 101AAD. He says they are made by Bell. Does anyone else have more info on these. He says they will be replaced by the Commanche eventually.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#1]
OH-58D Kiowa. Do a search and you'll have more than you want to know.........

http://www-rucker.army.mil/Ideafolder/58d/58d.htm

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/oh-58.htm

These should keep you busy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Don R has some close connections to Bell might check with him.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
LOACH was also known as an OH-6.  None are left in the inventory so much as I know.  Same ship that was taking rides at Knob Creek this past weekend.

Bell 47 (first commercial helicopter type certificated)  was "MASH" copter, used in Korea.  Many are still flying but not in the military.

Bell OH-58 series.  The "A" model had the C-18 engine and was a dog.  Nearly all were upgraded to the "A+" model (a cheapy C) or  to the full "C" model.  (C-20 engine makes more power and has longer TBO, improved transmission and other improvements.)  A few of these may remain in National Guard units but not very many.  Retiring them was a big mistake.  They use 1/3 the fuel of a Huey and provided relatively cheap and reliable training ships.  This is the model my friend and I have.  It was flown 239 hours in Desert Storm boasting a GE Minigun -  by the 101st!!  Sure would love to know it's war history!!!!!!  Tail number was 417 - SN available if anyone can provide info.

The Bell OH-58 D model is still in wide military service.  It is an upgraded "C" model with different engine (C-28, I believe) and 4 blade rotor system.  Packed full of electronics and has the "dome" mounted above the main rotor.  Lets it hide below the treeline and let the dome do it's duty.

Bell UH1 Huey.  Many versions from "B" thru "N".  There is a currrent program to modernize these further and keep them around.  Not bad for a helicopter dating back to about 1958!!!  Sliding door ship, saw much service in VN.  The Cobra was just a slimed down Huey, sharing same engine and drivetrain.  Some did have the elastomeric MR hub but were really just a Huey reduced to a two man crew.  Weight savings was used to permit carrying more armament.  Lots more!  These can really raise hell!  Lots of rockets, 20mm cannon, minigun  and other whoop ass toys.  VC had price on heads of all Cobra pilots.

The Blackhawks being moved into the NG inventory are a maintenace nightmare for them.  Expensive to maintain and fly.  Most of those transfered were old, early models and in need of major overhaul / upgrade.  Our local NG unit is non-deployable due to small number of functional aircraft.  Sad, very sad.

Many NG Hueys are grounded due to a recurring mast and vertical fin problem.  Adequate number of parts not available to get them going quickly.

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top