Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/20/2006 6:40:30 AM EDT
What do you guys think of this? Someone told me that I should bug off the heavy weights once/week & go light doing 100 reps of various lifts. He said that this will give me more definition and a good, cut look. Whenever I can, I use dumbells.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:36:57 AM EDT
Go ahead and try it. I think you will find that you will build more mass and definition using heavier weights.

I used to use this type of training while I was swimming. It seemed to help. But then again I didn't use any heavy weights at the time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:54:21 AM EDT
I do not know your age but 100's of reps doing 1 exercise might invite joint breakdown or inflamation issues later on in life. Less BF =(more carido)is the only thing that I know that enhances definition.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:34:53 AM EDT
Total BS. It does nothing for definition or size. Complete waste of time. This used to be an old wives tale that was touted in bodybuilding mags by pros as to how they got so cut in the 80's like Muscle and Fitness.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:39:00 AM EDT
I think you should stop listening to Someone because he doesn't have a clue.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:19:16 PM EDT
i would NEVER consider doing it once a week. Maybe once a month or so but never once a week. That would lead to serious overtraining.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:30:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By testosteroneOD:
i would NEVER consider doing it once a week. Maybe once a month or so but never once a week. That would lead to serious overtraining.

I agree. I have done shock workouts to get out of a rut that have considted of many more sets and or reps for a particular body part could handle on a normal basis. it is a good technique, but it should be used sparingly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:41:27 PM EDT
I lifted for a while as a young man.

To build muscle mass/strength you alternate stepping up reps with increasing weight.

( 10 reps 75lbs - 5 reps 100lbs - 10 reps -100lbs -5 reps 125lbs , etc.)

Doubling or tripling the reps WILL give you more definition in muscle groups , but
anything over say 50 reps per muscle group could stress your muscles , and
will end up just burning calories.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:41:53 PM EDT
Think of it this way. If you do not have much muscle mass, what are you trying to define to show?

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:00:25 PM EDT
The only way to increase muscle "definition" is to reduce body fat through cardio, which is basically what doing 100's of reps is.

Doing higher reps with light weights will activate slow-twitch(read: endurance) muscles, and will allow you to do just that: endure stress for a longer period of time. These slow-twitch fibers do not hypertrophy(grow) as much as your fast-twitch muscles. Evidence of this can be seen in endurance runners, cyclists, and swimmers. You NEED to lift heavy weights in order to activate and stress fast-twitch muscles so that they grow, and you are able to lift more maximum weight.

I vary the amount I lift throughout the week, going from as little as 2 or 3 reps per set to over 20 reps. Once you get past that, you are no longer strength training. Also, remember to change the exercises you're using to work a muscle if you are no longer progressing. This means your body is getting used to the stress and you're also getting bored of it and can't put 100% effort into the exercise.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:55:11 PM EDT
Shit I just eat caffeine and Ephedrine before I lift and I can go 100% every work out, train to failure every set, and never stagnate. Lifting differing sets and exercises is a waste of time IMO. No need to "change it up" or "shock the body" or any of that BS. Just go lift heavy or you are wasting your time. You wanna do cardio go hit the road and do some cardio dont take up space that soeone else could be using to actually accomplish something. If I saw some asshat taking up a spot I wanted to finish my routine Id super pissed at the idiot who is doing a hundred reps, wasting my time and his.
Top Top