Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 6:52:50 PM EDT
Today marks the 100 year anniversary of the Easter Uprising.  

The Easter Rising or Easter Rebellion, was an armed insurrection in Ireland during Easter Week, April 1916. The Rising was launched by Irish republicans to end British rule in Ireland and establish an independent Irish Republic.  The main attacks were in the city of Dublin.  The Uprising only lasted six days before it was crushed.  Many leaders were taken captive and executed and many more were imprisoned.  The British even executed one of the wounded who could not stand up.  James Connolly  The Uprising was conducted by a combination of several Irish Republican groups.  However when it was Fo time, a leader of the Irish Volunteers issued an order to cancel the uprising which resulted in a much smaller force.

Even though they failed, it led to the formation of the Irish Republican Army and Irish War of Independence which resulted in the Irish Republic minus of course the 6 counties.

The Easter Rising

Of course, the Irish being Irish there are songs about it.  A couple of different version of my favorite.

The Foggy Dew

Another version of The Foggy Dew

If someone could imbed I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
they stood up for what was right and did what needed to be done.  Rest in peace,  gentlemen
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
In before the "terrorist" and "Communist" claiming crown apologists. It was alright for us to buck the crown, not so much for anyone else.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Rest in peace my brothers
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
*fent*
Not "fo'ed"
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In before the "terrorist" and "Communist" claiming crown apologists. It was alright for us to buck the crown, not so much for anyone else.
View Quote

Look what became of us.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
they stood up for what was right and did what needed to be done.  Rest in peace,  gentlemen
View Quote

The amazing thing is they kept at it until it stuck.  The list of Irish rebellions is long, all but one unsuccessful.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Must have been Sinn Fo'in.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Must have been Sinn Fo'in.
View Quote

"snort"
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Meh current day Ireland has the worst gun/weapon laws in Europe so they learned nothing.

.22 LR single-shot and semi-automatic pistols and .177 air pistols may be licensed if they conform to the relevant International Olympic Committee regulations and if they also meet minimum barrel and overall length requirements and maximum magazine capacity requirements.
All non-automatic rifles may be licensed. Whether a restricted or unrestricted licence is required varies according to caliber, design, magazine capacity, general appearance and other factors.
All non-automatic shotguns may be licensed. Whether a restricted or unrestricted licence is required varies according to caliber, design, magazine capacity, general appearance and other factors. It should be noted that it is possible to obtain a firearms certificate for an unrestricted firearm for a shotgun and then breach the terms of that certificate by loading restricted ammunition (such as solid slugs) into the shotgun; such an offence renders the firearms certificate null and void and exposes the licensed owner to extensive penalties up to and including seven years in prison and twenty thousand euro in fines. Care to avoid this is required.
Suppressors (also referred to as silencers or sound moderators in Ireland) may be licensed; these are legally classed as firearms in and of themselves but are usually dealt with by authorisations on a firearms certificate (signified by a capital 'S' printed on the certificate itself) rather than a separate licence.
Crossbows may be licensed as restricted firearms; other kinds of bow do not require a licence.
Night vision and thermal imaging sights are classified as firearms in Irish law if they are made to be attached to a firearm (hand-held versions of such devices are not controlled).
Stun guns of all kinds require a firearms licence to own in Ireland; as self-defence is not a Good Reason for application under the Commissioner's Guidelines, it would be very unlikely for such an application to succeed.

Practical and dynamic shooting (defined as "any form of activity in which firearms are used to simulate combat or combat training" under the law but applying in practice to IPSC and IDPA shooting) is banned in Ireland under section 4C of the Firearms Act[2] except for when carried out with airsoft replicas.

I mean the Netherlnds has fucking retarded gun laws but Ireland really takes the special bus, Yay freedom !

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
My paternal great grandfather was in a he IRA.

Not sure how I feel about that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That long ago?  I am sure he was a good man.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

He was deported from the US when my grandmother was very young. Maybe around 1910-1915. Not sure.

I don't know the exact reason he was deported, but it had to do with his IRA activities.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah.

He was deported from the US when my grandmother was very young. Maybe around 1910-1915. Not sure.

I don't know the exact reason he was deported, but it had to do with his IRA activities.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

My great grandfather fled Ireland ahead of the British. We like to think he was a rebel but more likely a horse thief.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top