Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/18/2009 11:08:02 AM EST
When I turn the ignition of my 01 Silverado, it turns on, idles kind of roughly for about 10 to 15 seconds, and then sputters out. If I hit the gas pedal during this time, it dies right away.

I'm thinking either fuel pump or fuel filter.

Which of these is more likely the problem? Is there an easy way to tell which it is? Or is there something else that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks,
LDL
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:43:32 PM EST
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it. Make sure it is ABOVE the minimum spec.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:22:57 AM EST
might have some junk built up in your fuel rail.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:22:16 AM EST
First guess is filter.

Check that first, if that doesn't solve it check the fuel pump. Since you're stepping on it and it's dying I am led to believe fuel filter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:11:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 8:12:38 PM EST by DarkCharisma]
The Silverado has a sensor on the intake––The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF), which is between the air box and the intake tubing. Check your intake tubing to make sure there's no airleaks. It won't idle for more than a few seconds if there's an air-leak post sensor. It's relatively easy to bump that tubing and have it partially disconnect from the throttle body.

If that's not working, replace the fuel filter on the driver's side frame rail, right after the gas tank. You'll need a 13mm or 12mm wrench, I can't remember for sure––but in any case the filter is like $8 bucks and can clear that up.

Chevy decided it was a cool idea to put pumps that die commonly in the trucks. Borrow a fuel pressure gauge, remove the cap on the Schrader ball valve on the passenger side of your fuel rail; there should be 45-60 PSI at all times, as long as the key is in the run position. If it's not, and you've already replaced the filter, you need a new pump.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:38:00 PM EST
I tried replacing the fuel filter. The good news is that I definitely needed a new filter, cause that sumbitch was pretty clogged. The bad news is that that was not, apparently, the root cause of my problem.

I'm leaning towards a bad fuel pump...I think this one might go into the shop to get fixed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:41:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By LDL7071:
I tried replacing the fuel filter. The good news is that I definitely needed a new filter, cause that sumbitch was pretty clogged. The bad news is that that was not, apparently, the root cause of my problem.

I'm leaning towards a bad fuel pump...I think this one might go into the shop to get fixed.

Fuel pump is easy as hell to replace. Remove your bed (8 bolts) and the whole assembly comes out in a few minutes. The bed isn't that heavy. My dad and I were able to lift it without much difficulty.
Top Top