Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2001 6:23:14 AM EDT
I like being able to carry a cleaning kit back there, but after putting the rods and a brush in, there is just enough room for a "small" bottle of clp.  Anyone got any tips for making the best use of the storage compartment.  Im also thinking of strapping a small pouch to the right side of the buttstock to give me more storage space (more CLP, few rounds, etc..)
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry all the "necessary stuff" in a range bag, and 3# of lead in the buttstock.

If you need more space, get yourself a trapdoor pistol grip, although they are a bit awkward, since they are wider.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#2]
A campfire.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I also have a lead wedge in mine.
I may have to shave it down to carry my papers.

"can I see your papers please"(said in a german accent)

Pig
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Poop stock.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#5]
...a humidification unit and two cigars.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Eastwood123--  It sounds to me you have all you need in the buttstock.  That is exactly what I carried on active duty, and carry in my AR.  The "kit" you have in your buttstock is all you need for field maintenance of your weapon.  If you need to carry more cleaning gear/ammo/food/water/shelter...then you need to invest in some 782 gear such as a LBV, Cartridge belt, butt pack, canteens W/holders, ammo pouches, poncho & poncho liner, ALICE pack...

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#7]
A couple of brushes are in mine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]
The best use i've found for mine so far is to carry good old fashioned air in mine!It doesn't rattle around and make noise, when you open the trapdoor it doesn't all fall out into the dirt,it's really light, and after a hard day shooting, everyone could use a breath of fresh air!
[grenade]
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Eastwood123:
Get one of the pistol grip plugs - cheaperthandirt for $5.

I have had one for a while, unless I got a unusually large one, I don't think it will ever accidentally fall off.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Please tell me you don't realy use that sectional rod to clean your bore.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I carry the Colt supplied cleaning kit with a few patches rolled up in a red mechanics rag that has been trimmed a bit. And a GI 'tooth brush'. No CLP because I've never found the small bottle, but I've never looked too hard, either.

And, yes I have used the sectional rod in the bore. Just not this rifle.

Twenty yrs. ago I had an SP-1 and was hunting prarie dogs with a friend. It started to rain while we were afield. So I turned the rifle upside down on my shoulder and carried my .22  muzzle down.

I dropped a .22 shell and squatted to pick it up. Wanna guess what got jammed an inch into the mudd.

Thankfully, I carried the kit in that rifle as well. I now carry something similar whenever I'm hunting. Just in case. That's what that sectional rod is for, Just in case. I use a coated one-piece Dewey at home.

And when you get so much crap crammed in there, nothing is going to rattle or fall out. [;)]
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Bubble Gum
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Spare Aimpoint battery for sure!

On the grip plugs ... I bought a couple from Brownells (think they were made by DPMS) ... in field use it would fall out. Second one did the same thing. Sent 'em back. Though I saw a Marine reservist with one, held in place by that cure-all, "100 mph" tape.

YMMV, but might want to go the trapdoor grip route. Bushmaster sells 'em:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/56pt7spg2.htm
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 1:20:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Ear Plugs

[sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top