Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 7:25:26 AM EDT

i came across this link and was kind of suprised at how devloped the technology is claimed to be. is it real and in use by actual law enforcement agencys? seems as if the potential for abuse is rather high.

www.att-tactical.com/PlateChek.html
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#1]
My "high tech"  plate check system consists of reading the plate with the MK1 eyeball and using the finger/keyboard interface.

It's free too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
And for $30, it's easily defeated.

Photoblock
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
It might beat the cheaper systems, but the system designed and used by Hughes, now Raytheon,  is unbeatable.  Most use a less expensive system though.  They turned down my suggestion that Mavericks be tied into the system for use on light runners.

This was back in the days when converting military systems and companies  to civilian uses and products was a big push in the early 90's.  And no cheap ass solution would beat that system.

And even the cheap systems have the ability to kick out "unreadable" plates for viewing by a live body, and if that happens the old Mk1 Eyeball can read through most of the available coverings enough to correlate with car make model and year.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#4]
DOJ's Tech Beat had an article on these a couple months back. A couple of the bigger cities are using these, but mostly for parking scofflaws, and they are still pretty expensive.

I can see having something like this always "on" and tied into an MCT in 10-15 years. Your car will probably "alert" you that it just found a stolen car two blocks ahead and so on. Should be pretty cool. For now, most of us do it the old-fashioned way; one handed typing in the MCT at the stop light.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top