Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2013 8:42:54 AM EDT
I was with  a friend recently cruising the gun shops. he has a gun he wants, and asks the guy what trade in would be. He was told that its usually 60% of wholesale.   Does this sound about right?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems pretty low to me. That's like getting $300 for a very nice Glock.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  That is right. Sell it on Armslist and get 80% of retail.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
depends on the gun.  I traded a glock I didn't want and got about 70%, considered that fair.  something like a glock, shield, 1911, etc... wont sit on the shelves long, so you can probably get a little more for something like that.  a lorcin, Taurus, sigma, etc... are all guns with a lesser trade in value.  they are less desired and i'd expect will sit on the shelves longer.  when you buy and sell used "stuff", it's all about the quick flip.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
70-75% is fair for a gunshop.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW: Had a friend that worked for a smaller gun store that does a brisk business. He said
their offer for buys & trade-ins was 30% of the Blue Book price for 80% condition!! Said most
people accepted the offer...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#6]
In my area,

60-70% for stuff in perfect shape, is popular, and will move quickly AND they know you/like you.

50% for everything and everybody else unless you look like you must sell, then 30-40%

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds about right to me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#9]
And then the pawn shop lists it for 25% over new retail prices

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I usually see shops offering .40 on the dollar.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#11]
40 TO 60% is what we pay and $300 for a glock is done all the time.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seems pretty low to me. That's like getting $300 for a very nice Glock.
View Quote
That's the going rate around here ....one with all the goodies , it'll get you about $300 .

It really depends on how much the owner has to invest and of course the local market ......how many 40cal Glocks can you sit on ?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#14]
My gun  shop I normally will get 75%, but i have gotten as much as 90% a few times, but that's what happens when you spend a lot of money with one dealer, sadly the guns were all lost in a tragic boating accident.

I would say 70% is fair, if it is a regular haunt of yours (all the employees know you by name) I would ask for maybe 75%.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

If people are buying...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If people are buying...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If people are buying...

its mostly because pawn shop owners know anyone who isn't an idiot is GOING to negotiate.  starting with ridiculous prices does 2 things.  gives them lots of padding on their profit margin, and it makes people feel they won when they "talked the shop down".
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I was quoted 100% on a rifle once without him even seeing it.  I told him that was a very good and I'd let him have it if it didn't sell in a few days on a local board.  I sold it the next day for 130%.  Can anyone guess what rifle it was?  I'll give a hint, it wasn't an AR.

From what I've seen 60-70% seems like the norm.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I was quoted 100% on a rifle once without him even seeing it.  I told him that was a very good and I'd let him have it if it didn't sell in a few days on a local board.  I sold it the next day for 130%.  Can anyone guess what rifle it was?  I'll give a hint, it wasn't an AR.

View Quote

The gun Al Pacino used in Heat?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#19]
50% - 60% of wholesale on trade-ins depending on condition.

That is why I decided to buy one of the Ruger American Rimfire Compact .22 rifles now and have it cut/threaded/crowned the way I want it instead of waiting for when Ruger comes out with a threaded version that may or may not suit my needs.

I get the rifle exactly the way I want it and as Ruger charges at least $100.00 more for most any threaded version of their .22s it's a wash money wise if I was to sell the one I have even at 80% and buy a threaded version on down the road.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#20]
My local store does 40-50%
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes.  That is right. Sell it on Armslist and get 80% 125% of retail.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Where I work it is 65% of blue book value judged by its condition. If 80% if worth $300, we will give you roughly $200. We buy a shitload of guns.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, wrong decade.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#24]
60-70 % is about normal unless the store is really really gun value stupid.

Good rule of thumb is....Anything you wish to trade/sell is 60-70% blue book price.....Anything used a store is selling is 100% + blue book regardless of real condition !

Always best to sell a gun yourself if you want to get full value.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Most dealers are around 50%.
View Quote

I got about 50% for my PF-9 I traded in at Larry's a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

aug?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, wrong decade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, wrong decade.

Mosin
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Where I work it is 65% of blue book value judged by its condition. If 80% if worth $300, we will give you roughly $200. We buy a shitload of guns.
View Quote

Local gunstore...I heard them tell the guy that they couldn't take it (don't recall which it was) because it would sit for way too long.    But, I've also heard them give what I would have paid them for the same gun if it was in their case.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats my experience...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

its mostly because pawn shop owners know anyone who isn't an idiot is GOING to negotiate.  starting with ridiculous prices does 2 things.  gives them lots of padding on their profit margin, and it makes people feel they won when they "talked the shop down".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If people are buying...

And that is the problem for me
I don't want to have to negotiate a price for a used gun that is listed for more than new retail.  I see the price, walk away, and  I'll just go buy a new one

Pawn shops in my area are a joke.  I haven't been to one in years because of that bullshit.
They get all uppity that I didn't want to spend $1500 on a bubbafied 1911
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds pretty close to me. A lot of people forget that dealers are not individuals and pay accordingly.

Just like a car you will always get more if you sell it yourself. If you are unwilling to do that for whatever reason the. You have to take the hit.

I worked in a store that routinely offered much less than that be Ayer with over 1000 used guns in stock they either but it right or let it walk. Hard to pay much more than 100 bucks for a 1100 or 870 when you have 30+ sitting in inventory. There are all kinds of factors that come into play outside the "book" value if the gun
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#32]
granted I take care of my stuff and it was fairly new but I did a trade in that went for pretty much 90-95% of value
did a even swap and walked out happy.

I once had a Sigma with a serious problem. walked into a shop expecting to get pennies  being honest and up front about the gun
gave me 80%... I suspect they just turned around and stuck a for sale tag on it though. they closed very shortly after
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Many years ago a gun store in Lancaster, Ca.(Jack First) told me a gun was worth half what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is correct.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I know a Gun store in a suburb of San Jose, the guy will offer the 10% value of the weapon, most just walk out, some take it. When he does put it on the shelf 4 sale, its at 80% of retail NIB. I used to buy ammo from them, if I bought it out of the storage container, without the item going in the store, I got a deal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Your better off selling it outright.

When I was hurting for money the local gun shop wanted to give me $200 for my $900 gun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Mosin
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, wrong decade.

Mosin

Nope, way too old.  This one was made popular by a tv show.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

mini 14?

desert eagle?

-hanko
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

mini 14?

desert eagle?

-hanko
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mini 14?

desert eagle?

-hanko

deagle isn't a rifle.

I said aug erlier, was that a yay or nay?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#40]
You usually get 60-70% of wholesale.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't want to have to negotiate a price for a used gun that is listed for more than new retail.  I see the price, walk away, and  I'll just go buy a new one

Pawn shops in my area are a joke.  I haven't been to one in years because of that bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If people are buying...

Yep.  Waste of time fooling with pawn shops around here.   Cost about the same to buy it new with warranty and return policy.  Yes, I understand that DeWalt drill is already broken in and drop tested 500 times but I'll take my chances with a new one.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
just put it in the EE for 125%
View Quote

Just wait.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't understand why people give away their stuff at pawn shops and gun stores with all the outlets to sell these days.  And I know people who put guns on sale in a forum or Armslist for 100% retail, firm, and then when it doesn't sell take it down to the gun store and get $.50/$.  People are silly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
just put it in the EE for 125% MSRP
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#45]
I was told by a pawn shop owner that they only do 50% of the blue book value, I was miffed. Waste of freakin time. Dealer was going to give me closer to 70% which is still less than my sale price that's very close to book value.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#46]
The only gun I have ever considered selling was a plain-jane H&R Pardner 12ga. single-shot in perfect condition. They sell them used for ~$120 and they offered me $40. I told them I wasn't interested.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
40 TO 60% is what we pay and $300 for a glock is done all the time.

View Quote

This, I did the used gun buying at the shop I worked at. If it was a POS, Taurus, etc that I'd rather pass on I'd make a stupid lowball offer, like $40. More often than not, they'd take it.

Springfield XD guys usually got butthurt the most. Used wholesale is (or was then) crazy low on XD's. like $175 or something. "I paid $550!!!"
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#48]
The shop I frequent will pay 60-70% on guns in good condition.  Up to 80% if they know you or you bought there and decided you didn't like it.
They are really fair with folks compared to other places I've been.  

Pawn shops?  What a joke.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#49]
60% of wholesale seems like a generous offer from a professional dealer...  I'd expect an offer of 30-40% on most stuff, 60% would only come out on high demand - quick turnover type stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#50]
A: any dealer that uses Blue Book for any pricing doesn't know shit about firearms

B: if a gu. Shop will survive longer than a few years they will give better than 50-60% like most of you are talking about
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top