Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 8:48:38 AM EDT
US bats eat bugs.. so how do they get the rabies to start?

www.wftv.com/news/4798187/detail.html
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Good question.  The reasons bats often carry is is because rabies is a very hot virus!!!!  They often roost in close quarters and the virus is consistently jump through bat poulations.

How that all got started is beyond me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Semi Hijack.

Bats also carry bedbugs.  We bought a house and have found a couple of bedbugs in the windowsill right below where about 25 bats are roosting.  No carpet, clothes, or furniture in that room though, so I am going to wait until winter to seal up the roosting spot.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Good question, I have never have been given a good explanation on how they get it either.
"Inquiring minds want to know"
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]
They eat masquitoes that have bitten animals with rabies.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They eat masquitoes that have bitten animals with rabies.

then we would get rabies from that same masquito if bit... and i have never seen that
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
They come installed in them from the factory  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

From my understanding, it's a viral disease
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Rabies is transmitted through direct contact with the saliva of an infected animal.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#9]
The Rabies Virus is usually transmitted via saliva contact during a bite. Bats ‘Groom’ each other, transferring the Virus around the Colony.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Rabies Virus is usually transmitted via saliva contact during a bite. Bats ‘Groom’ each other, transferring the Virus around the Colony.  

Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Bats get rabies the same way any other animal does, through exposure to another rabid mammal.  But unlike most other mammals, if you encounter a bat, chances are there’s something wrong with it.

The incidence of rabies among bats is no higher than other animals but, unless you’re a spelunker, any bat you encounter probably is behaving abnormally.  And abnormal behavior is one of the indicators of rabies infection.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Unprotected sex.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Bats get rabies the same way any other animal does, through exposure to another rabid mammal

right, but that threw blood or a bite... since they eat bugs, how do they get it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top