Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2011 7:32:58 AM EDT
so whats eveyrones favorite cutters?  i just have a regular stainless double blade cutter, but looking to get a better one.  i looked at the faq and saw the cuban crafters and xikar cutters.  just wondering what certain models everyone is using and what they like, or dont like about them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh man....opening pandora's box....

Except for my recent Donatus issue.....my everyday, take on trips, ride to work cutter is this one...

Xikar-Lapis Blue

It was just replaced on Monday by my shop....had a Bloodstone that started to get gummed up...100% warranty...she took one off the shelf and handed it to me.

My large-bore cutter is this one...

007 Punch- Gunmetal

SO...I guess I am a Xikar fan...

How can you beat their 100% no BS warranty!
Dull...repair or replace.
Rivet missing...repair or replace.
Mostly...the shop hands you a new one...twice for me and the first time it was 100% my fault....tragic lawn mower accident...new cutter/no questions asked!
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
nice, i like that color, and the bloodstone color
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The titanium ones are very nice for a few more dollars....all metal construction.
I told her to get in one of the Mayan diamond etched ones for me...I have been a good boy and deserve a treat...
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The titanium ones are very nice for a few more dollars....all metal construction.
I told her to get in one of the Mayan diamond etched ones for me...I have been a good boy and deserve a treat...

lol, that would be nice. i do like the titanium ones though, all metal construction is a great quality.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]
V-cut or punch, I dont like a flat cut.  I have a couple of cheap plastic V-cutters that I have been using, serve me fine.  I would like to find something nicer but they are hard to come by in a V-cut.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I like V cutters as well.  I was going to mail order one of the Wolf V cutters (or the Xikar cutter w/chinese steel) but I think I'll just buy a Xikar V cutter when the BM near me has one in stock.

Another guillotine that gets high reviews is the cuban crafter's perfect cutter... for about 15 bucks.

Plus, they make this thing!

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#8]
That brings to mind a question I had about the Xikar cutters. Do the different models have different blades, or are they all the same steel blades surrounded by different handles and materials?
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I got this cutter on CBID for $12 and I've been happy with it:

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I got this cutter on CBID for $12 and I've been happy with it:

http://www.stogieboys.com/product_images/l/330/ColibriGrip-Cutter__13487_zoom.jpg

Sweet!  I have a Diesel marked one on the way from CBID.  I only had the chance to use one once in Iraq, but it seemed nice enough, so I picked one up

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#11]
DAMN....why did you have to show me that Cuban Crafters three blade thing....

I hear that they improved the handles and fixed that design issue....now I'll have to get one.....YOU BASTARDS ARE DOING IT AGAIN!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That brings to mind a question I had about the Xikar cutters. Do the different models have different blades, or are they all the same steel blades surrounded by different handles and materials?

i think they do.  i was looking at their website and it mentions something about their cutters all having the same blade.

here ya go, top of the page
http://www.xikar.com/cutters.asp
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I just use some cheapies, but I prefer a v cut (assuming I can get a decent draw from the stick with  a v cut).
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of people like the Cubancrafters Perfect Cutter.  I'm thinking about buying one myself.  I've been using a Palio for 3-4 years now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]
does anyone know what kind of blade material the colibri cutters use?
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use a Palio.  I find them much easier to use than the Xikar because your fingers have more control than the Xikar.

http://www.paliocutters.com/

+ 1 on the Palio. It also doubles as a cigar holder for if/when a proper ashtray is not available.

I've also been know to use a punch, a golf tee, my teeth and a Micro-tech .Sometimes you need to improvise

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a Palio.  I find them much easier to use than the Xikar because your fingers have more control than the Xikar.

+ 1 on the Palio. It also doubles as a cigar holder for if/when a proper ashtray is not available.

I've also been know to use a punch, a golf tee, my teeth and a Micro-tech .Sometimes you need to improvise

Also Palio, then Xikar.
Pretty much all I use now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use a Palio. I find them much easier to use than the Xikar because your fingers have more control than the Xikar.

Also Palio, then Xikar.

Pretty much all I use now.

Palio is the way to go

I like the Carbon Fiber, even though it's not real

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
does anyone know what kind of blade material the colibri cutters use?

From their website...

"...guillotine cigar cutter with honed stainless steel blades can cut up to 64-ring cigars. This substantive cutter is comprised of stainless steel."

Colibri Cutter
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#21]
In order of frequency of use...
Davidoff Zino

Palio

Xikar

Had one of these that was stolen.  Loved that cutter
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Xikar for me.  Best customer service I've ever received.  My original cutter was getting dull, I asked them (at a BIG herf) about having it sharpened.  They just gave me a new one.  Which later in the day was stolen.  They gave me another one.  I will never buy another brand of cutter.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I use a Xikar X8. I also have their teardrop with the carbon fiber handles that I paid 4x as much for that I never use.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#25]
For now the one that works the best is some no-name that I got free with an order from CI.
I do have my eyes on the Xicar fold up "scissor" type cutter.

The only thing is I smoke cigars so rarley now (pipe almost daily) that its hard to justify the $35. That could be another lb of VA #1.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#26]
just smoked my first cigar in a long while, long enough that I misplaced my cutter so my fave would be my Benchmade knife.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Lol,  I have used my benchmade mini dejavoo before as well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Kitchen knife.

Standard guillotine cutters actually. I'm not picky as long as it gets the job done. Although, I will confess to using a kitchen knife to cut my last cigar.

I was running late and couldn't find a cutter anywhere. It was an ugly cut, but it was clean enough that the cigar smoked just fine in the end.

Not something I hope I ever have to do again though.

Anybody know of a decent tactical folder that doubles as a cigar cutter? That would be pretty awesome.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#29]
When I use my knife I just slice the cap and pop it off.  If you look at the cap there are three lines.  Usually I moisten the cap place the blade in the middle of the lines.  Roll the cap along the blade just cutting the cap material.  Most of the time it falls off.  If done right you will see the filler in the shape of the cap.  No need to sit saw and tear your cigars wrapper.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Two Xikars & I have one of thier tools on the way as well.  If slavac likes it it must be  good & I was looking for one to keep in the shed.

Xikar has been good to me.  No questions warranty is awesome.  The have sent me 1 new cutter & I average a lighter replacement at least once per year after a trip through the washer.

Never tried a Palio but I imagine I'll have one eventually.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#31]
My cigar buddies call me an "accessory slut" because of all the cutters and lighters that are sitting around my cigar room.  I regularly use the Xikar multi-tool, I really like the cut from the Wenger Swiss Army Knife with cigar scissors, my favorite "dress" cutter is a Xikar cutter with elephant tusk handles that have lions scrimshawed on them and a case made from lion skin.  I also regularly carry and use a Palio.  A different cutter for every mood.

I have a large variety of cutters of all shapes, sizes and price points, (including an electric one) and have found that in general as long as they cut my cigar, I like 'em just fine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I use a xikar scissors, the fold up model that I carry in my pocket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top