Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2012 5:17:16 PM EDT
You Android fan boys saying Apple is shit come help me figure out what's wrong with my phone.

I've been trying to send pictures via text message to another mobile phone.  Every time I hit send I always get a message saying, "MMS not supported by networks, server response error."

It's a stock Galaxy S3.  Android 4.0.4.  I don't have unlimited texting; I do pay-as-you-go messaging.  This isn't Apple, I shouldn't have to root/rom/jailbreak the thing to make something work right.   It's not the size of the pic as the phone automatically compresses the image.  And I've tried using 3rd party apps like GO SMS and HandCent.  No avail.  

ATT Network.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Download whatsapps. Better for texting and sending pics and video. The person you're sending it to has to have whatsapps also.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have service?  Connect to wifi? Reboot Phone.  Do a battery pull and then reboot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
magnets

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a similar issue happen to me once. All I had to do was remove the "1" in front of the area code. Hopefully it's the same deal.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you get on the internet with the phone?

Also call ATT to verify you are actually signed up for a messaging plan.

Also restart your phone.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8289312_enable-mms-att-account.html
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You Android fan boys saying Apple is shit come help me figure out what's wrong with my phone.

Oops, never mind!

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you have service?  Connect to wifi? Reboot Phone.  Do a battery pull and then reboot.

Yes.  Turned off wifi.  Check.  And....just tried pulling the battery.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
magnets

I'm gonna kill you.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you selecting the pic in the gallery and clicking share?

Or are you:

Opening the messaging app, choosing a contact, and clicking the paperclip icon?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#10]
See this?

Worth checking...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
See this?

Worth checking...

Yeah...I scoured a few android forums before turning to the Hive Mind.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Or throw the phone out, get an iPhone 5... And wow, it just works!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Try this
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Freaking Android phones.....

I am actually happy that they are so popular. It gives hackers (I hate them because I don't understand their motives ) less incentive to fuck with the IOS products.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had a similar issue happen to me once. All I had to do was remove the "1" in front of the area code. Hopefully it's the same deal.

No, I don't have a "1" in front of the area code on the numbers I'm trying.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know!  I came from an iPhone 4, too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the iPhone that doesn't take the normal apple plug?!?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually think the Lightning connector is a nifty concept.  Once people quit pissing their pants over change.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Box it up and please return it to the store and buy an iPhone.  You are clearly too stupid to own an Android.  

If the mods hate androids I'm sure they won't mind me saying "go eat a bag of....sausages (GD compliant)."

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, cause we all know Iphones don't have issues; well unless you're trying to use it as an actual phone!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I dunno, I've had Android ever since the Samsung Moment on Sprint, and I've never had an issue with sending anything that wasn't related to Sprint's shitty reception. I think 90% of most phones' problems are carrier related.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, cause we all know Iphones don't have issues; well unless you're trying to use it as an actual phone!

I've owned the 3G, 3GS, 4, and 5... I have never had a single problem. /shrug
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can you get on the internet with the phone?

Also call ATT to verify you are actually signed up for a messaging plan.

Also restart your phone.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8289312_enable-mms-att-account.html

Yes, Internet is fine. I did call ATT earlier but couldn't get to the technical dept because I don't have a second line at my residence for them to call me and walk me through any steps on the problem phone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I bet this isn't a phone problem, but a network problem.  ATT sucks worse than Apple.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually think the Lightning connector is a nifty concept.  Once people quit pissing their pants over change.  

Micro USB is a nifty fucking concept. I have several random micro USB cables around the house and an old Blackberry micro USB charger. All of them will work to charge my phone.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, and my statement is inaccurate how? (see below)

iPhone reception problem may be solved by software update
DAVE FREEMAN
Sunday, July 4th, 20100 Comments
Since the iPhone 4 has come out, there’s been reception problems. People have blamed everything from sweaty palms, to carrier problems, to antenna placement. Apple has been fairly quiet about what the root cause is, but now it looks like they might have a simple solution to the problem.

Turns out, it may be as easy to fix as a software patch. The solution looks to be as simple as an error in the way the phone’s operating system is calculating the phone’s signal strength. The error is so large, Apple has stated that the iPhone could be displaying 4 bars, when it should only be displaying two. This means that as you use your phone, it displays the proper signal strength, and has caused the confusion. Makes sense, and you have to give points to Apple for admitting that they have such a large software problem.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Network error is ATT. Make sure your prepaid plan has it enabled. You can get unlimited data but you'd be amazed at the stupid shit you don't get.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've been trying to send pictures via text message to another mobile phone.  Every time I hit send I always get a message saying, "MMS not supported by networks, server response error."

It's a stock Galaxy S3.  Android 4.0.4.  I don't have unlimited texting; I do pay-as-you-go messaging.  This isn't Apple, I shouldn't have to root/rom/jailbreak the thing to make something work right.   It's not the size of the pic as the phone automatically compresses the image.  And I've tried using 3rd party apps like GO SMS and HandCent.  No avail.  

ATT Network.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps your network doesn't support MMS messages.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I bet this isn't a phone problem, but a network problem.  ATT sucks worse than Apple.

you, shut your whore mouth. an ex crapple fan boi complaining about a phone problem that is actually a network problem makes to much since for them. why blame ATT which is the real problem when its easier to try and blame the phone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Micro USB is a nifty fucking concept. I have several random micro USB cables around the house and an old Blackberry micro USB charger. All of them will work to charge my phone.

It's all relative.  I have a microUSB charger that came with my Bluetooth headset that puts out some lame number of amps, like 0.4 or 0.5.  Sure it works, but is it ideal?  The car charger is 0.7A and the wall charger is 1.0A.  Plus the microUSB only goes in the phone one way.  Just like, ding ding ding....the old Apple 30pin connector.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Network error is ATT. Make sure your prepaid plan has it enabled. You can get unlimited data but you'd be amazed at the stupid shit you don't get.

Turned out to be this.

I can't believe I had to make three calls.  First I switched over to the Galaxy SIII back in July and they didn't transfer my pay per use plan.  Called to have them add it a few months ago.  Called again tonight and asked the lady about it.  She didn't catch that the MMS wasn't enabled but SMS was.  Then one final call just now and the guy saw that MMS wasn't enabled.  

Holy shiiiiit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#35]
you didn't subfile the giblet kernel and matrix the tongue punch of the applet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#36]
So, what you're saying is..it wasn't the PHONE - it was the network!

Nice.

So, tell me again about the quality of the AT&T network, the one that had a lock on the iPuck for 3 years, was it?

Would AT&T let you have this kind of data plan on an iPhone? Magic 8 Ball say, "Let me go ask Steve!"
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So, what you're saying is..it wasn't the PHONE - it was the network!

Nice.

So, tell me again about the quality of the AT&T network, the one that had a lock on the iPuck for 3 years, was it?

Would AT&T let you have this kind of data plan on an iPhone? Magic 8 Ball say, "Let me go ask Steve!"

When AT&T goes, it goes.  Tell that to the 54.43mbps DL I get off ATT.  

When it falls, it falls flat on it's face and everyone knows about it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, and my statement is inaccurate how? (see below)

iPhone reception problem may be solved by software update
DAVE FREEMAN
Sunday, July 4th, 20100 Comments
Since the iPhone 4 has come out, there’s been reception problems. People have blamed everything from sweaty palms, to carrier problems, to antenna placement. Apple has been fairly quiet about what the root cause is, but now it looks like they might have a simple solution to the problem.

Turns out, it may be as easy to fix as a software patch. The solution looks to be as simple as an error in the way the phone’s operating system is calculating the phone’s signal strength. The error is so large, Apple has stated that the iPhone could be displaying 4 bars, when it should only be displaying two. This means that as you use your phone, it displays the proper signal strength, and has caused the confusion. Makes sense, and you have to give points to Apple for admitting that they have such a large software problem.

I never had that problem with my old iPhone 4.  Because like most people.. I had my phone in a case.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all relative.  I have a microUSB charger that came with my Bluetooth headset that puts out some lame number of amps, like 0.4 or 0.5.  Sure it works, but is it ideal?  The car charger is 0.7A and the wall charger is 1.0A. Plus the microUSB only goes in the phone one way.  Just like, ding ding ding....the old Apple 30pin connector.

I can't understand how anyone thinks this is some sort of problem.  Sure, you can only plug it in one direction...SO WHAT!  If you know which direction your phone takes it (which anyone who's charged their phone more than twice should) then all you gotta do is feel plug for the two little springs that poke out, and turn the cable so it's facing the right way.  You don't even have to look at the thing.

Sure, Apple's proprietary cable that doesn't work with anything else is nifty because it can plug either direction, but is's also 30 FUCKING DOLLARS!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turned out to be this.

I can't believe I had to make three calls.  First I switched over to the Galaxy SIII back in July and they didn't transfer my pay per use plan.  Called to have them add it a few months ago.  Called again tonight and asked the lady about it.  She didn't catch that the MMS wasn't enabled but SMS was.  Then one final call just now and the guy saw that MMS wasn't enabled.  

Holy shiiiiit.

One of the reasons I left ATT. I had to go through seven inept people before I got someone that was able to help me. I left after my money was refunded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top