Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2012 9:12:03 AM EDT
Yep. You know it is the holiday season is when the plumbing lets go.
Our 27 year old Olympia boiler (house furnace)just let go this morning. The boiler rotted from the inside out.
We found water on the floor in the cellar a couple hours ago , and followed back to the furnace.  It spilled out about 5 gallons of water. I shut off all valves to and from the system.
Last flood in the cellar was Dec 26 2010 when a pipe broke during the night and we had 4 inches of water in the cellar. We joke about it as being the anniversary of the Indonesian Christmas Tsunami. Before that it was always the circulation pump or zone valve.
I'll be running the wood stove for now.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#1]
After thanksgiving dinner sit back with a strong boilermaker?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

After thanksgiving dinner sit back with a strong boilermaker?

I won't be going to my sisters house for the dinner. The little bastard is still leaking out rusty water.

I think I have a leaky valve replenishing some of the water. These valves are rarely shut off. I'm looking for a short section of hose to drain it to the floor drain. Both water hoses are 50 feet long. The floor drain is 6 feet away.

Oh wait. That's right. During the last flood it didn't work. Someone (Mom)saw a movie about rats coming up sewer pipes, and plugged it with concrete inside the elbow under a screwed down steel drain screen with 1/4 inch holes.

After 2 years I never found the time to remove the sink cabinet, cut the floor open and replace the floor drain. Not like the cellar floods on a daily basis.

But then, with my luck, it could.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top