Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2002 5:27:17 PM EDT
where the hell is that museum?  I need to road trip to that place.  I see the guy every other gun special and he seems to know his shiznit.

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Good thing he wears gloves when he finger F&%ks the guns!
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, that is Rush Limbaugh.

Didn't you know?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Didn't you know?
View Quote

Huh?  Wha . . . I can't hear you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Just as I was reading your post I caught him on a Discovery channel show airing right now on future guns, holding something called a SPEW, developed in the 1960's, that looked like a Barret 50 cal, but shot flechette arrows.

He's built like a giant traffic cone, but seems to really know his stuff.  He's a Vietnam vet as  well.  I wish I remember his name, but whenever I see it in captions, it rings a bell with US politics.

Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
His last name is Atwater...   my friend and I were commenting on him while watching THC last night.  He really knows his stuff but after awhile you get tired of the way he delivers his info.  Or maybe you get tired of looking at his bloated self and those silly white gloves...
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Stop you guys are making me laugh so hard my side hurts....I do like some the expressions that fat guy uses though...like 'it needs to be soldier proof'...now why the hell didn't I think of that [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
They constantly cut his bloated ass off in mid sentence.  I get the feeling the guy keeps going like the Bunny- probably drives those guys crazy.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't you know?
View Quote

View Quote

HA--HA

Hey, did they cover the SW5 yet?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah Troy, I've heard him say a few things that didn't sound quite right. I think he's the one that pronounces carbine, kar-bine, with a long i sound.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't you know?
View Quote

View Quote

HA--HA

Hey, did they cover the SW5 yet?
View Quote

Not until they do "Guns of 7-11 Employees."

To also be features are:

The Hi Point Carbine
The Mossberg Shotgun
The Lorcin Handgun
The SKS Assault Rifle
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 3:28:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Did anybody happen to tape the "Military Firepower" show the other night on the History Channel with the Chris Farley of guns. Would like to get a copy if possible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 3:42:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They constantly cut his bloated ass off in mid sentence.  I get the feeling the guy keeps going like the Bunny- probably drives those guys crazy.  
View Quote

And you don't ramble on end about stuff you love to do or know a lot about?  I drive my buddy nuts because I love to talk about the Civil War and WW2.  And bore this girl at work...I just never know when to shut up...[:)]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#15]
He is from the ordinance museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground MD, If I remember right he was also a very decorated Viet Nam Vet. I do believe he was SF. It's been a while but thats what I remember. And yes he does know his shi*....[:)]  
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#16]
That SPEW flechette gun was cool.  It also looked like it had a 40mm launcher on it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I think that big guy is cool.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#18]
i believe that his name is Sgt. Atwater (RET) and he is the curator of the military firearm museum in Aberdeen(?) if the museum is not at Aberdeen it could be at West Point or somewhere like that.

my uncle was with DOD QUASAS for a long time and we were watching a previous program and said that he had met him and that he was probably the most informative small arms man in the nation.

BTW..
on the program...
he never said the original M-16 mags would JAM with over 16 rounds in them..
he DID say the springs might wear out.

at the time the life of the springs was kinda unknown and the army was leery of having anymore inoperable weapons than they already had thanks to Mcnamara and his micro managing of manipulations from the original design of the M-16.

i've seen the guy on 5-6 programs and i havent noticed any erroreous information he's given.

he seems to know his SHIT...i wish i could go to that museum...it looks freakin awesome.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#19]
My dad knows him well, and I've met him on several occasions. He is William Atwater (everybody calls him Bill), and is the curator for the Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground. Unfortunately, the museum is closed to the public right now, due to war security (the whole post is pretty much closed to civilian visitors). I believe they even cancelled the annual Armed Forces Day festivities for this year. Bill IS extremely knowledgeable, probably one of the most knowledgeable people out there where ordnance history is concerned. You can rest assured, he IS an authority that probably has forgotten more than the rest of us will ever collectively know.

Quoted:
"The M16 used 20-round mags, but you can't load more than 16 or else the springs will wear out and the gun will jam."

Some expert.

-Troy
View Quote

Did you notice the sheepish grin while he was saying that? That was a reference to what they were told back in Vietnam, which many (including Bill) have refuted later. He has a very strange, dry sense of humor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Is he any relation to the late, great, Lee Atwater?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is he any relation to the late, great, Lee Atwater?
View Quote

Don think so.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah Troy, I've heard him say a few things that didn't sound quite right. I think he's the one that pronounces carbine, kar-bine, with a long i sound.
View Quote

Hmmmm

Thats ONE of the correct ways of saying it!!

Main Entry: car·bine
Pronunciation: 'kär-"bEn, -"bIn
Function: noun
Etymology: French carabine, from Middle French carabin carabineer
Date: 1605
1 : a short-barreled lightweight firearm orig. used by cavalry
2 : a light short-barreled repeating rifle that is used as a supplementary military arm or for hunting in dense brush
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That SPEW flechette gun was cool.  It also looked like it had a 40mm launcher on it.
View Quote

SPIW.........
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#25]
US Army Ordnance Museum’s website:
[url]www.goordnance.apg.army.mil/odmuseum.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Atwater is the man. He knows his shit. He's been in a bunch of documentaries.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"The M16 used 20-round mags, but you can't load more than 16 or else the springs will wear out and the gun will jam."

Some expert.

-Troy
View Quote

Well, bullet head was right on that account. I wish I'd known that when I was first issued one. They were known for just stopping before the magazine was empty. Not jamming, just stopping. He is irritating though. I resent his remark about the long range marksman being a myth.  I think he's a PhD.  BTW, they had a better special some time back on a warehouse in Alabama where they keep unissued arms and jeeps. They had new Thompsons and B.A.R.s in the original wrappers, new 1911s, jeeps with almost no miles, etc. I was going crazy.
View Quote

I thought the problem was soldiers assembling the magazine after cleaning it with the spring in backwards, causing problems when it was fully loaded.  When they were told to *not* remove the spring from the follower, the problems stopped (but mags were still underloaded "just in case")
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
... I thought the problem was soldiers assembling the magazine after cleaning it with the spring in backwards, causing problems when it was fully loaded.  When they were told to *not* remove the spring from the follower, the problems stopped (but mags were still underloaded "just in case")
View Quote

Rumor also has it that the problem was GI’s overloading their mags, esp. prior to the issuance of stripper clips.  Telling them to underload the mags kept them from overloading them.

I have a vague recollection of being told to underload M-14 mags before the M-16 came along.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... I thought the problem was soldiers assembling the magazine after cleaning it with the spring in backwards, causing problems when it was fully loaded.  When they were told to *not* remove the spring from the follower, the problems stopped (but mags were still underloaded "just in case")
View Quote

Rumor also has it that the problem was GI’s overloading their mags, esp. prior to the issuance of stripper clips.  Telling them to underload the mags kept them from overloading them.

I have a vague recollection of being told to underload M-14 mags before the M-16 came along.
View Quote

do they still do this? tell you to underload your mags?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top