Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 6:34:53 PM EDT
A discussion we were having in the gun shop today,  the owner is convinced that,  now that Bill no longer influences what guns they make,  that a trend toward more military type rifles and away from hunting guns is in the offing.

His thoughts are that you'll start to see more new products,  (no one could remember the last time Ruger had a totally new rifle since the PC9/PC40, something like 15 years ago)

More tactically oriented rifles such as the Remington PSS series, and maybe a more updated version of the Mini-14 addressing some of the complaints on the rifle.  What brought the topic about was that I was looking at one of the New .223 Siagas, and commented about how it could really hurt Mini-14 sales.  Half the price,  (270$) 10 round cheap magazines,  better stock, and better accuracy.

He also thinks Ruger will enter into the compact handgun market aside from revolvers.

Any thoughts?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not own a Ruger if they were giving them away. In fact, I won't even own anything that went through Ruger's casting plant.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would not own a Ruger if they were giving them away. In fact, I won't even own anything that went through Ruger's casting plant.
View Quote

Ditto and AMEN!

At least they could help get rid of the mag cap ban and sell hi-caps for their cast junk.
Maybe they're selling enough Vaqueros to the Yosimite Sam crowd that they don't care anymore.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Bill had in his will that the cops should come in and take all the guns after he is gone. They gun grabbin cops will be more than happy to do it too.
Relax howdy. Its only a joke.
It just that its kinda easy to get ya going. I know its gettin old. I`ll stop for a bit.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Yosimite Sam Club?  I'll have you know that Ruger makes, bar none, the highest quality, most affordable single action revolvers in the world.  

I like black rifles but I love my Bisley and Blackhawk.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The question should be, who cares?

They had better come up with some pro-2nd, high-speed, low-drag shit, real quick!

Bob
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
From the front home page of AR15.com
[url=http://famulus.msnbc.com/famuluscom/reuters05-06-141931.asp?sym=RGR]Sanetti replaces Blanchard as Sturm, Ruger president[/url]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:13:45 AM EDT
[#7]
My little SP101 is sucking down full power .357 mag ammo like candy and so far the only visible damage is to my hand.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My little SP101 is sucking down full power .357 mag ammo like candy and so far the only visible damage is to my hand.
View Quote

You won't hear me say that all roogler stuff is crap.  The SP101, MKII and 10/22 are all pretty decent guns as far as the engineering goes.

I've owned two SP101s and they were ok.  They weren't as nicely made as my Smiths or Colts but they also didn't cost as much.
Once I found out that the major components were cast, I swore them off.

[i]"But roogler is the best at casting and they have a special super-secret double-dipped way that makes it just like a forging!"[/i]

Bah.  Then make a forging and be done with it.

[i]"But roogler makes aircraft grade castings![/i]

Good for them.  Don't shoot a roogler P-series auto or centerfire revolver near me.  Nobody is going to correct my prejudice, ignorant or otherwise.  

If a roogler is all you can afford, then get a roogler.  Otherwise, sell some blood plasma, scrounge some quarters at the laundromat, beat up a homeless guy and take his money but get some extra bucks and get a gun from a company that supports ALL of your rights ALL of the time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yosimite Sam Club?  I'll have you know that Ruger makes, bar none, the highest quality, most affordable single action revolvers in the world.  

View Quote

Ditto - My first handgun was a Single six (still have it), 3rd HG was a Super Blackhawk, then a Blackhawk, and a Vaquero.  Great guns IMO.  That was a long time ago - my money is spent mostly on black rifles these days.
CR
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're saying that Ruger makes the [b]best[/b] single action revolvers in the world?  Better than Colt and USFA?

It sounds like we're on very subjective ground.  Setting aside the argument over materials and their wrong-headed politics, I'd say that for the money they're well made.  

You're not going to convince me that cast parts that can't be made as small and light as a forging are better or that an aluminum ejector rod housing is a sign of quality.

They're the most affordable?  My USFA Rodeo only cost me $420 NIB.  What does a Vaquero go for?  I didn't even have that politically correct goofy-gate-transfer-bar thingy to remove either.

Does Ruger actually case harden those frames or do they use a dye pattern?  I seem to recall a few heated conversations over on sassnet where some old coot was fired up because the colors were coming off of his Vaquero much faster than his buddy's $1200 Colt.

I respectfully disagree that any Ruger revolver is a superior value to a comparable model from Colt, S&W, USFA, AWA or even Taurus.

[FIXED MY SPELLING!]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top