Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 1:36:35 PM EDT
What is an AGM type battery and how can I tell if I got one.
Thanks

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Absorbed glass mat.  A type of valve regulated sealed lead acid.  Optima have the patented spiral cells, resulting in cylindrical cells.  Most motorcycle batteries are AGM as are those commonly called "gel cells".

They do not slosh when shaken.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Absorbed glass mat.  A type of valve regulated sealed lead acid.  Optima have the patented spiral cells, resulting in cylindrical cells.  Most motorcycle batteries are AGM as are those commonly called "gel cells".

Thanks for the info.  How about car batts.  Are they also mostly AGM?

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
AGMs are mostly deep cycle for renewable stuff

You can lay them on their side and all kinds of stuff. They are also more tolerant of the cold.

http://www.atbatt.com/agm-battery.asp?gclid=CMzqvPagyqgCFQxvbAodwU0gpA

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
No most car batteries are not.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No... I use AGM batteries for my solar setup. They last longer, and stand up better to repeated deep discharges in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most automotive batteries are flooded cell with recombinant chemistry, this converts the produced hydrogen and oxygen back into water.  All AGMs use this technology.

Most motorcycle batteries are AGM.

You can tell the difference from the lack of removable caps on the AGM.  And flooded cell types slosh, AGM won't.  The glass mat looks like saturated, white cardboard or paper towels.  Glass won't react with the electrolyte.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top