Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2001 12:15:45 AM EDT
I know a lot of our members (myself included) believe that educating their children about firearms is the most important thing to keeping them safe from gun accidents, but you know kids. They like to f_ck with things. What other precautions do you take TO PREVENT ACCIDENTS?

Edited to clarify the question. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Precautions... Well, I use prophylactics.  Seems to work well for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:09:16 AM EDT
[#4]
smartasses... [:D]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I have a safe, but it's not to keep him out, but the neighbors.  I went the route that is suggested by a number of the gun-owning authorities (as opposed to DiFi, BabyBoxer, and L(amebrain) Tolley), I taught my son how to shoot.  I won't say how old he is, but just suffice it to say that he isn't interested in the opposite sex yet (hence, he won't need the rubbers previously mentioned for a while!).  

The philosophy presented was that if they do not have the curiousity then they won't try to break into your safe and play with them.  So far, it seems to have worked.  My son has some interest in getting better scores when he shoots, as a goal, but his curiousity has waned.  

He goes twice a month to a Jr. NRA shooting class, and is about 3rd youngest in there at this time.  I'll note that from the information we have, NONE of the school shooters has been a part of an organized training session on guns, EVER.  That's Eddie Eagle, Jr. NRA, whatever.

Finally, my wife and I pay attention to him.  We jointly take part in providing him a stable home life, and a reasonable amount of interaction.  While I doubt he'll be the next 16 year old Olympic class shooter, he is interested in politics, and Chuck Heston may have a replacement by the time he finally decides to retire.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:36:15 AM EDT
[#7]
keeping your guns in a SAFE.

is a good start.

DUHHHH.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Keep our kids safe...  Give them love at home and teach them to be nice and not to pik on or piss people off.  Everyone of the latest school shootings was a result of relentless picking and teasing of the kid that did the shooting.
[img]http://www.tvdance.com/bush-gore/5anew.gif[/img]
If you could not tell I do not like Mr. Gore or the democratic uforian mind set.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:07:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Taught 'em to shoot at an early age.  Three girls, 12, 14 & 16 and they've been around guns all of their lives.  They want to go to the range every time I go.  They shoot my .22s .45, AR and M1 Garand with a little help.  Blowing up a few pumpkins or watermelons add a graphic display of the power of even a .22.  All their friends can come too.  

No problems, cross fingers.

Norm
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I take the "Don't child proof the world, but do world proof the child" approach.  Love'em like there is no tomarrow, be their best friend, spend as much time as you can with them, teach them to respect other persons and property and that they are the only one responsible for their actions and behavior, that there is a clear difference between right and wrong and both will be rewarded in kind and magnatude.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:08:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree DPeacher, but certain precautions need to be taken with kids and firearms in the house. My parents tought me all of the above and it still didn't stop me, as an 8 year old kid, from getting in my dad's gun case and shooting the old .22 in my back yard. No matter how much I will educate my future children, there's always a chance that an accident can happen if I am not responsible with my firearms. But you are so very right, "Don't child proof the world, but do world proof the child"

Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:27:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Death_By_AR15--  I do take precautions. I have a lockable steele cabinet, not to be confused with a safe.  My 9 year old son knows there is a proper place for every thing. The dirty clothes go in the hamper, the toys go in the toy box, the power tools go in the garage, and the guns go in the cabinet.  If he finds a gun (wherever it may be) don't touch it and come tell me.  We go over the rules every time he goes over to one of his friends house, and letting him watch "The Sixth Sense" helps to emphasise the point.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:30:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Death_By_AR15-- I do take precautions. I have a lockable steele cabinet, not to be confused with a safe. My 9 year old son knows there is a proper place for every thing. The dirty clothes go in the hamper, the toys go in the toy box, the power tools go in the garage, and the guns go in the cabinet. If he finds a gun (wherever it may be) don't touch it and come tell me. We go over the rules every time he goes over to one of his friends house, and letting him watch "The Sixth Sense" helps to emphasise the point.
View Quote

[beer]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont let my kids ride the school bus. My god have you seen the way those people drive.
No, seriously, Education, Answering their questions, take them shooting, show them how to field strip and clean, just basicly treat them as a good friend and have a lot of respect for them and teach them to have respect for others
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Keep our kids safe...  Give them love at home and teach them to be nice and not to pik on or piss people off.  Everyone of the latest school shootings was a result of relentless picking and teasing of the kid that did the shooting.
[img]http://www.tvdance.com/bush-gore/5anew.gif[/img]
If you could not tell I do not like Mr. Gore or the democratic uforian mind set.
View Quote

What the hell is gore doing?
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Gore is doing absolutley fu*king nothing now thanks to the electroal college and the rule of law and real americans (as opposed to amerikans)
Seriously, we have all been asking this question for the last 10+ yrs! ;)
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I've taught them gun safety.

I do keep them locked up, except for my Desert Eagle.  Being divorced my children aren't here 90% of the time.  But out of curiosity I tested them and neither one of them is strong enough to pull the slide back on the DE.

And to dispell any thoughts that my son may want to sneak and get a gun out to look at it, I allow him to fondel his 10/22 or any other firearm whenever he pleases as long as he asks first.  We all have the desire to fondel our weapons in between shooting excursions, why should he be any different.  My daughter has the same option although she has no real interests in guns.

Take precautions,
Educate,
Love,
Trust,

Link Posted: 3/24/2001 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#20]

(What the hell is gore doing?)

Have you ever heard the expression"Go bump a stump?"
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to have to agree with IrvineGunNut about the fact that when guns are a mystery to kids thats when problems start. I have two children one 8 yr old girl and one 4 yr old boy, they were both shown the destructive power of a 12ga. after halloween for the last 3 years. I took the old pumpkins, lined them up and then proceeded to blast them with 3" magnum buckshot from a range of about 20'. Afterwards I told them "now imagine that was a person". It got the point across about what guns will do. Also they are exposed to my guns alot, I mean alot, so that curiosity factor isnt there. We also live in far northen Wi. so we dont deal with alot of the crime and bullsh*t the rest of you have to deal with.

Crosshairs[shotgun]
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Same here---EDUCATION!!  I have a 7yr old daughter and a 13yr old son.  My son started out on a BB gun and was shooting real guns at 11. My daughter will start on a BB gun next birthday..  Everyone in my house knows the basic safety rules about firearms, including " Never shoot at anything you don't plan on completely destroying".  This instills the knowledge that guns are powerful.

As a matter of fact, when I buy a new firearm the first thing that happens is everyone is shown how to check the chamber and other operational aspects of the new "toy".  Anytime anyone picks up a firearm they now always check the chamber to see if it is loaded.

Yesterday my son went shooting with me, like he has many times before.  But before we went I still reviewed the safety rules with him.  He handles firearms better then a lot of adults I have seen, but I still keep a close eye on him.

Yes, I have a safe and all, but my son and wife have complete access to it.  After all, What if I am not at home and the wife is being assulted?  I want my son to be able to get a pistol and "help out" in that situation.

The other precautions I take are a loving home, stay at home wife, and I actually participate in my kids lives.  Buy the way, my son's favorite rifle is the AR15...kids got taste[:)]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I have to say all of you have a great response. I would like to add to this. First I want to say the media should see how many gun owners are great parents. I read from many that they love there kids and take time to participate in there lives. I do the same. How many actor/actresses are on there 3 or 4th marrage father is no place to be found. Growing up with a nanny. Mother/father are on drugs. Homosexuality total sh t in the house. The media portrays these people with clout. The real AMERICANS are us. We are what made this country great. The guys out there that come home so tired that they pass on sex with the wife till tomorrow. The ones that break their back to provide for their family. Who sacrifice and work like dogs. Well I don't think I just described the hollywood people or a politician. I have a safe and the kids have no curiosity. I am a great father and my wife is the best. GOD BLESS THE TRUE AMERICANS.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I took my boy out shooting a few times and always take a full can of soda. Each time I shoot the soda and show him what guns really do. When he see's those little pieces of tin left after my 44 hits it and hears me tell him that this is what guns really do, not what's in the movies it sure looks as if he is understanding. Just my suggestion.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#25]
yeah education is the key
im glad my parents and my grandpa taught me about guns at a early age esply not to SCREW around with em as there are a powerfull to
from a lowley 22 to a masive 50 all all guns are not toys but a tool to be used either recreationly or for self defense so i should treat em with respect and i do
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top