Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 11/20/2008 8:32:13 AM EDT
First let me say that I am just regular gun owner who has been racking my brain on how to make a difference. I finally got an idea, which takes money. I am not advertising.

We all know that the media is responsible for people not being educated on the issues this past election: How Obama Got Elected

So I wanted to get a voice bigger than just youtube. I live in southern california which is one of the most populated areas in the country. We all have cars and we all drive. The solution? a Billboard!

Originally I was fearful that the billboard company I wanted to use was anti-gun. They were even listed on the NRA list of companies with anti-gun policies. however I emailed the rep I know and this is how she responded:

I don't see a problem with this type of ad.  I checked out that NRA website.  I'm surprised to see Lamar's name there.  I have no idea what that's all about.  You won't see my name on that list.......my husband is an NRA member!   Well we can talk again when you get closer to putting things together.  Feel free to call me or send an email and we can look for locations and talk about rates.  Worse case scenario is you would have to put on your ad who sponsored or paid for it.  We ran into some trouble running ads for Prop 8.  We needed to amend the artwork to reflect who was endorsing the Yes on 8 vote.  So that's no big deal.

Have a nice night!

So step 1 is done: make sure I have a the OK to do the ads
I already have the skills and equipment to make the ads since I have designed ads for my company in the past.

The next step is to either start a non-profit to collect the money from supporters, or use the NRA somehow as a medium to colelct the money and pay the bill.  I just emailed the NRA but I ahve no idea when they will get back to me. If someone has contacts for the department that puts out the ads in the gun magazines, it would be great to get that info. PM me with their contact info or contact them for me.

Finally (and this is the part where you can help) we need people who can donate monthly to get these ads up. Right now, since the economy is in the tank, I can get a digital billboard for $500 per month. If 20 people donated $25/ month, we could reach 100k people per DAY(yes per day). California is one of the most liberal states in the country, and if we can educate people with a  simple ad, we can maybe swing it the other way on the issue. I want to run ads like:

"When you outlaw guns, only outlaws have guns." (and show a picture of a woman getting mugged"

"Choose one: Gun Owner / Victim"

etc...

So what do you think? Let me tell you it is really exciting getting your message up publicly in front of hundreds of thousands of people. Will you help me? Can you pledge $25 per month for 3 months?6 months?  If so, let me know in this post. I have 3 pledges already.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:39:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 8:40:28 AM EDT by ORinTX]
Interesting idea.  It may require site staff approval.  I think people might be hesitant to pledge money to such a new member.  I know I am.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:48:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 8:48:51 AM EDT by s32]
Why don't we just give money to the NRA, NRA-ILA, and NRA-PVF?  

Mabye you should try something less ambitious first.  Get some signs made, and go sign wave along a major roadway.  Get a friend or two, stand out there for a few hours waving and smiling and the cars that passby.

Have something that says "Honk if you support the Second Amendment".

This is cheaper than a billboard but might be more effective because people will see regular people who support the second amendment.  Don't dress in camo or anything, keep it positive, you don't want to scare people.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:54:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ORinTX:
Interesting idea.  It may require site staff approval.  I think people might be hesitant to pledge money to such a new member.  I know I am.  

This is why I want the NRA to be involved; so you don't have to trust anyone over the internet. I know I sure wouldn't send money to anyone over the internet no matter how many posts they made on some web site. I just want to see if people would be willing to do it assuming all is legit.

I'm going to try and get donations from local gun shops as well.

BTW none of this would be done through arfcom, this is just a sort of "interest survey." a pledge is not binding on your part, I just want to know who is serious.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:11:09 PM EDT
I think this is the a graet idea( my 2 cents). It sthe only idea I have seen so far that targets the part of the population we should be concerned with, the people that do not care one way or the other. Instead of talking to ourselves and other gun owners about our 2nd Adm. rights we should be concentrating on those people. Get them to tell the Washington that we want change fo rthe economy and the war not our personal saftey. I think there should be a push to let everyone know just how much impact teh firearms industry has has on the economy. If there is away to make sure my money goes to this cause Im in.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:59:23 PM EDT
Interesting idea.  Good intentions, but as said already might be a wee ambitious... However, no risk, no reward.

Personally, I'm find of the whole "when seconds count, the police are minutes away..." spiel.  Bottom line, we need to be able to protect ourselves.  Could be another approach for you to mull over.. ?

I'd say proceed with caution, as I'm sure a lot of the more experienced and knowledgeable folks on here could tell you that something like this could (potentially) backfire in a thousand, different, unforeseen ways.  Something has to be done though, that's for damn sure.   $.02
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:01:51 PM EDT
I don't know if having the NRA sponsor a billboard would be well recieved, too much stigma attached.  The people you are targeting are not fond of the NRA, and just as well like to do away with them.  I think it would be better coming from a non profit organization.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:05:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ORinTX:

I agree.  I like the idea, but do you happen to know any long-time members here who can vouch for you?  You may see more pledges this way.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:06:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 4:10:11 PM EDT by AXXMAN]
1st off great idea,lets unite all gun owners. 2nd hum
ill do whatever it takes to keep my rights but wait a second,dont politicians/senators/presidents work for us?? not the other way around.if we the people dont like what they are doing,lets fire them.dont under estamate the power of the people.that shit might fly in aussy or england.but i promise you that the second the u.s trys to take our 2nd or our guns, the white house will be slammed with protesters and shit will hit the fan.i would rather die in a pool of my own blood on my front porch defending my "rights" than ever give up my rights.never ever ever ever!!!!!!!!!!!! really dont think politicians are that stupid to start a cival war,but who knows.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:47:09 PM EDT
+1 I like the idea. I am sure the NRA & ARFCOM will be glad to help.

Let us know the outcome.

223SAINT
JOIN THE NRA TODAY! <––$10 off 1 year membership
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:16:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AXXMAN:
i promise you that the second the u.s trys to take our 2nd or our guns, the white house will be slammed with protesters and shit will hit the fan.

The government knows better than to take all of our rights away at once. Instead it's like getting bitten by a mosquito, sucking our rights away drop by drop... it itches a little but we put up with it.

we have to open our eyes... the sh$t has already hit the fan gentlemen. we have become complacent.... I had to wait 6 months just to buy a pistol and I now have to go before a judge to get "permission" in order to carry my weapon for self defense!?! How in the hell did it get this way... if the US is different than the UK, How did the original AWB ever get passed?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:20:45 PM EDT
I wouldn't say he was too ambitious.

This election was won in part by a whole bunch of people who were obnoxiously ambitious. They lived the election for years.

Anyone can write a check to the NRA.  Good for you for doing more.
Top Top