BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2002 7:38:56 AM EDT
Surprised nobody has posted this yet.

[url]http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/kstrassel/?id=110001806[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I think she's a bit too pessimesitc about what Emory is doing.

They weren't very eager to start the investigation. But once the new department head came in, and once Bellesiles was called on citing probate records that don't exist, they did start an academic fraud investigation. The first phase of that found essentially probable cause, which led to a second phase of the investigation, being conducted now by outside scholars.

Emory hasn't been talking about it much, but I expect that is for legal reasons. It doesn't pay to be a loudmouth here, because there is an excellent chance the case will wind up in either employment court somewhere or as a wrongful-termination fight in the Emory bureaucracy.

I think Bellesiles' academic career will be a smoking crater by the end of the summer.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If Emory hasn't changed in the 30 years since I was a grad student there they'll piddle around with their investigation, hoping the furor will die down, until either 1) it actually does die away and they can quietly close up shop w/no decision or 2)the book is finally accepted by the bulk of other historians as the POS it is, in which case they will issue a mildly worded report and hope no one notices.

BTW, I finally left Emory after two almost totally wasted years, and went down the road to Georgia State where I got a decent, non polticised, education.

As someone I know once said to me; "They may call Emory the Harvard of the South, but they sure as hell will never refer to Harvard as the Emory of the North".

Come to think of it tho, they are the same in one area;  left wing political correctnes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top