Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2011 3:46:15 PM EDT
Tapco has the Intrafuse brand or something like that, and probably some others companies making them out there.

Seems to make sense, half the weight of aluminum rails.

My M&P 15-22 has composite rails and they seem to be pretty sturdy.

What is the arfcom thoughts on these for ARs?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
For what 99% of the people here use their ARs for they will last forever.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That is what I am thinking.

Magpul has shown the composite stuff can be durable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That is what I am thinking.

Magpul has shown the composite stuff can be durable.

I'd trust it for range guns and stuff like that but I wouldn't use that stuff on my hunting guns. They get used, abused and beat up and I'd be pissed if I dropped it or did something else to nick the rail where I couldn't get stuff on and off easily. I'm sure anything like that could be easily repaired but I'd rather just not mess with it, I want stuff that's bomb proof.

ETA: kinda like my MS2 sling. I really liked it when I just got it but after a while of using it it's turned into what looks like a big cotton ball. The material it's made of feels nice and soft but it's not durable enough for any tough use. It got to where it would snag on little twigs and pick up all kinds of junk cause it was fuzzy so I ended up dumping it. Also, the rear attachment plate with metal on metal is too loud.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Most everyone wants the most bomb-proof stuff available.    I agree with that but I'm very curious about light-weight (ok, lighter) anything.   I really do use my stuff meaning I carry it around in the field and I've always been against carrying a ton of extra weight that doesn't really seem necessary.  (Which is why my AR currently has a standard non-railed fore-end.)

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most everyone wants the most bomb-proof stuff available.    I agree with that but I'm very curious about light-weight (ok, lighter) anything.   I really do use my stuff meaning I carry it around in the field and I've always been against carrying a ton of extra weight that doesn't really seem necessary.  (Which is why my AR currently has a standard non-railed fore-end.)

Yeah but the thing is, most people don't really need the most bomb proof stuff and they'd probably be just as happy with the functionality of their gun with cheaper lighter stuff. I'd be plenty happy to save weight and money using cheaper stuff made of plastic but I know that I'd break it and it would end up being more hassle than the price and weight savings is worth. I don't care about having the most "tier 1" stuff but I need my stuff to work when I need it and other people are counting on me to get the job done. We have time and money invested in every hunt we go out on, so it's not life or death (for us anyway), but my weapon has to work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top