Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2002 6:48:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap! That is amazing! Was the top down at the time of the roll over?
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad he's alright.

I trust you'll forward this info to BMW.  They always have an letter with pictures in the BMW magazine where people survived crashes that left the car totaled.

presently, I'm TRYING to save for a 330i [:)] but these damn guns.......... [;)]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn. That is unreal. Glad he wasn't hurt. Those pics are really making me think about getting one of those.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#6]
BITCHIN' CAMARO!  BITCHIN' CAMARO!

Er, anyway.  Glad nobody was hurt, even the dumbass that was at fault.  The burn / impact from those airbags should make him look twice next time, though.  And think twice about carrying insurance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
May I be the first to say HOLY SH*T! Glad Pops is okay!

Leave it to the Germans to build a car that can survive a roll.

Did any of you see that video of the guy on the autobahn who rolled his Benz like 12 times after spinning out in the rain doing 100? He walked away. I know a lot of it is luck, but the passenger compartment took the abuse and the guy was fine.

Compare that to a Honda. I wish I had a dollar for every Honda I saw totally crushed in a 35mph accident.

Note to self: buy German.

BTW, what's your dad doing driving a little sporty car like that? He must have a lot of vigor left in him!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Ahhh German engineering saves a life again. Glad to here your dad is OK. That's is why I am a total believer of European cars. Although I can't afford most of em.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Your Dad looks a little shook!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad to hear that your dad is ok. He does look a little shaken though. As he should be.

Jamie
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I am glad your Pop is OK. Them Germans know how to build a tough car.  Tell your dad to hold off for a few months.  The new roadsters come out.  The old new models will be cheaper or he can get a new model.  But I would definetly wait.  I am in the market for one too and I am going to wait.  They should be available in the fall, early winter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Totalled nothing...get a hammer to bang those dents out and some bondo and it'll be good as new.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad he's alright.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad he is okay!

Nice car...I mean was a nice car.

medcop
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Good Lord! Am I glad your father is alright!  I have seen pictures of mangled Z3's posted in the body shops in my town...and NONE of them were pretty!  From what I have seen from previous pictures your father REALLY lucked out.  The Z3 is a pretty small unibody constructed vehicle.  If he can get a new M series, he can probably afford a larger model.  I can understand if he enjoys the performance of the smaller Z/M series, but cars that small just scar me.  I drive a Tahoe and often wonder what would happen if one of those cars collided with one of the millions of SUV's on the road...especially the full-size-half tons or bigger.  This makes me very cautious.  It's real concern in my county since there are a lot of both.  Any way, I'm am very glad to hear that your dad is ok.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad Pops is OK.

That being said, Holy Shite!  C'mon, fess up... Dad was just reliving his youth, wasn't he?  He'd redlined in 2nd, breaking the rear loose and powersliding through the turn and trying to get into third smoothly enough to keep it all on the road when he just lost it, and took a jaunt through the ditch.

'Uh, there was this crazy guy in a Camaro, yeah son, uh that's what happened.' [;D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:25:17 AM EDT
[#18]

There were a lot of wrecks this weekend in Dallas. I saw six and and a jeep spun out behind me several times.
View Quote

Glad your Dad is alright.  People were driving like maniacs this weekend. I sware it was about as bad as I have ever seen it.  People were just not thinking ahead at all. They would cross over three lanes of traffic to hit an exit.  They would cut you off.  I just hope this isn't a precursor for the Memorial Weekend.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:46:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#20]
You should send these to [url]www.wreckedexotics.com[/url]

Here's an example from there, to remind everyone how much luck really plays a hand in car accidents.

[img]www.wreckedexotics.com/cars/bmw_z3/33826693pghBqS_ph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:56:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Not an expert, but it's but I've read that semi-prescious cars like this one usually aren't totalled but repaired. Something about the value once repaired exceeds repair cost. You may be stuck with it.

Arrrgh M4-AK
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:04:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:06:34 AM EDT
[#23]
have a 1982 733i which we bought in 1985 - the wife crunched it 5 times from 1986 through 1994 - she was never seriously injured, mostly a few bumps - it was repaired each time and is still a daily driver [ i can still go 110 in it [max was 118] - bmw builds a great car and i'm happy your father survived like my wife
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I had a 740i.  Best car I ever had.  Had to sell it when I got laid off.  [>Q]

If you want a practical "bitchin" car, get the M5.  That's 400 horses under the hood and plenty of room.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:32:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Hes one lucky SOB. thou one mistake cost him the car, (i have had my own accidents as well, destroyed/totaled a jeep) never ever try to cut infront of a car to avoid the accdient.. cut behind him. most cases the driver turning will continue to because he doesnt see you. in the best case your dad should have turned with the trailer. but i know from experience that isnt always a option. the mind sees one way and takes it. doesnt matter what it is the first one wins even if its the worst.

but it is good to hear he walked away with minor injuries.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's my Dad.  He sounds a little shaky, but he asks if I want to go with him to buy a new BMW M Roadster.  I kinda laugh and ask him if their on sale or something.

That's when he tells me that he needs a new one to replace the one that was just destroyed [:(]
View Quote

What a terrific sense of humor! I doubt if I would be able to make light of the situation.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm very glad to hear that your dad is OK.

Now, to his next BMW. Have him look at the 5 series. Forget the 525 as too underpowered. The first serious contender should be the 530i, it's the car my wife has and is the best car I have ever been in. (I sold all makes of cars for 5 years) If he has more $ and needs more zip, go for the 540 with the V-8. If neither are enough for him, have him try the M5 with more juice than anyone needs. The Bimmers are just the cats ass as far as auto-engineering, nothing else comes close.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
....never ever try to cut infront of a car to avoid the accdient.. cut behind him. most cases the driver turning will continue to because he doesnt see you. in the best case your dad should have turned with the trailer. but i know from experience that isnt always a option. the mind sees one way and takes it. doesnt matter what it is the first one wins even if its the worst.

but it is good to hear he walked away with minor injuries.
View Quote

Anytime you have to go left of center, there's some 'splainin to do, since by definition you just violated the law.  Quite possibly the Camaro was in his lane of traffic and he couldn't go right because the horse hauler was there.  

So left was the only choice due to the Camaro pulling out into traffic without ensuring that there was no on-coming traffic, probably a violation itself.

A guy crashed a Camaro in front of my place, and that showed me how much plastic those things have now.  Several panels/molding were in little tiny plastic pieces all over the road.

Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#29]
yep, mostly fiberglass. Hood and rear fenders are metal, and thats it the rest if the panels are fiberglass. I got a 94 firebird.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#31]
oops.. [;)] poor defensless fence!

ban cars, for the fences!
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Ya know, a lot of those scratches will buff right out....

J/K- Glad Dad's OK.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#33]
"Ya know, a lot of those scratches will buff right out...."

ROTFLMAO,THAT was funny! Glad it all turned out well. I've been there!,
BrenLover
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Buy me one too!

edited to add:

...please.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top