Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2001 8:50:25 AM EDT
Three months to the day after the spectacular catastrophic of Chris Comer's Springfield Armory M1A (M14), we have a scientific report [url]http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-762r.html[/url] on the causes of this horrifying kB!, complete with 50X magnification photos.

Special acknowledgement must be made of Clint McKee and Fulton Armory's funding of this invaluable metallurgical report.

• Dean, jus' visitin' from [b][url]http://www.TheGunZone.com[/url][/b]…
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
According to the article there were no markings on the barrel,so the identity of the maker is unknown. According to the metallurgist, the Springfield Armory receiver was not responsible for the failure. Unless it was a Springfield barrel, I don`t see how they can be faulted. Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#3]
HOLY SH*T!! Horrendous is an understatement.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow; That M1a turned out bad! alot worse than mine! my barrel gave up about two and a half years ago it was a CM barrel, it to split the receiver at the 6 oclock in the barrel threads and the barrel split at 9 & 3 oclock and about 10 inches down the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
.... my barrel gave up about two and a half years ago it was a CM barrel, it to split the receiver ....
View Quote

What is a CM barrel?

It's good to finally get to the bottom of this.  I remember when I first saw the article about the incident.  It would be nice to know where the barrel came from.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]
CM is chrome moly.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I doubt it was a SA barrel.  SA uses GI barrels for the standard model and these are well marked. The medium-weight barrels are marked by SA (Geneseo,Ill .308 Win).  

The report stated that the barrel was likely kept at too high a temperature for too long during heat treating.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By [b]Paul[/b]:
Was this the stock SA barrel that the rifle was shipped with?

I'm wondering if this was a bad batch of barrels and there are others, like time bombs, waiting to go off.

Has Springfield Armory comment yet? Could be a big issue...
View Quote
To the best of our information, this was not an SA barrel, and so there would be no reason for any of the Reese boys to comment.

But your comment about "time bombs" is now uppermost in the minds of many! I gotta admit that I had always felt that anything this catastrophic…
[img]http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/images/762d15-sm.jpg[/img] …had to have been as a result of a non-standard round. (And no, I'm not one of the AL-BVD crowd who immediately suspected the impossible [C-4] had occurred!) I mean, after all those rounds and all those years of service, who'd've suspected the barrel?!?

Don't overlook John Kepler's sidebar, however… like the dopers say, "know your dealer!"

• Dean, jus' visitin' from [b][url]http://www.TheGunZone.com[/url][/b]…
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow; That M1a turned out bad! alot worse than mine! my barrel gave up about two and a half years ago it was a CM barrel, it to split the receiver at the 6 oclock in the barrel threads and the barrel split at 9 & 3 oclock and about 10 inches down the barrel.
View Quote

What happened when you contacted SA, assuming you did? What serial number range was your rifle? Mine is 012XXX. My barrel is marked
Geneseo Ill at 6 o'clock in front of the gas
tube and NM at 12 o'clock 2" behind the front
site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top