Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2001 12:59:37 PM EDT
I was in the Army but never in any Special Ops.
Do they let those "operators" take any weapons with them when they ETA? I just met a guy who claims he has a MP5 that they just gave him when he got out. I figured he was an arm chair commando and never asked what branch he was in. All the weapons when I was in the 3ACR were government property and I always had to sign them in and out.Every thing I was ever issued, M16A2, M240c, M9, and track and bolt for the M242 Bushmaster cannon all had Government Property stamped on it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Very unlikely at best.
US Property pretty much says it all.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say NO! Call your local BATF field office and report this A-hole. Its people like this that run around spewing crap like this that put the rest of us on the sh!t list with the rest of the general public.
-XM15
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
They don't "let" them do it, but depending on just how far in the deep water a guy is, he might be able to sneak one out with a wink from his immediate superiors.  It's still illegal and totally against regulations, but special forces types are justly famous for "losing" gear.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
He probably doesn't own sh*t. He didn't look like he was ever in the military, long hair, fat ,wearing combat boots with a T-shirt that says sniper.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey! That's me [8D]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure it could be true. I may have just turned 26 but back in Nam I was an airborne special forces green beret ranger navy seal commando. I don't remember any details about where I was, er, I mean, all our ops were classified. I could tell you where I was but then I'd have to kill you....

Some folks start living in a pipe dream once they get out. The PFC who was a cook for 3 years all of a sudden was an E6 Green Beret once he gets out. I quit listening to most peoples BS "war stories" a long time ago.

Even if you only signed for a PT mat you are *supposed* to turn it back in. That's the whole idea of "signing" it out. Not "giving" it out. It is also the supply section's responsibility to make sure all equipment is turned in before you get out or ETS. Now that's not to say I don't still have a PT mat I take camping, but weapons are a "sensative" or accountable item. No way he could have come home with one. If he did it's illegal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I was at Ft. Campbell, Ky in the early 70's when an M16 got "lost" in the field. We stayed out there for two extra weeks before they finally found it. Seems that one of the ammo drivers liberated it and sold it to a civilian off post. Army CID interrogated everyone that was in the field that day and he finally "cracked". We all were so pissed at that moron, but we never saw him again. I'm thinking he is still in prison. Sam does not give automatic weapons to anyone ETAing that I know of.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#10]
i remember speaking to someone about this issue. in the field (navy seals) carry there weapon with them while landing, this sometimes carries them over much rough water. and when the weapons get wet they sometimes slip out of the boat. the gov't typically writes them off as a field loss. you know the missions we arent saposed to know about. i could see how it could happen. if the weapon could be recovered, its on the non existant list...
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
In 1997 I was in the Ft. Carson, Pinon Canyon rotation, we were doing troop lanes and a cav squad leader left his LBE with holstered M9 on the front track skirt of his Bradley and proceeded to drive away. The track chewed up his pistol and LBE through the road wheels. I wasn't even part of that squadron we were just attached to them to provide air defense. Every swinging d**k (3 Calvary troops) was doing double-arm interval until 12 midnight until the mangled pistol was found. In the mean time that squad leader in crew were standing at attention in front of the TOC until the pistol was found.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd chat with him a bit. See what stories he spins, what branch he was in, then hit some of the web site that likes to confront guys like this. Drop them a note. They love this stuff. Nothing will get a loud mouth phony SEAL, Green Beret, Scout Sniper wanna be shaking in their shoes like having a bunch of real SEALS showing up at their doorstep wnating to have a "chat" with them about their supposed military exploits.

Start here. There's other sites out there.
[url]http://www.snipersparadise.com/Fakes.htm[/url]

I myself was allowed to take home my Iraqi POW's that I captured while I watched the war on CNN from college. They do yard work for me now. Very hush hush stuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#13]
the_survivalist,
Unless they (SOF) plan to do live fire on a beach landing or other H2O ops they often use the solid rubber training aids. The fake guns. If you look in some books at the water pics you will see these. It beats cleaning all the sand out of the actions.
-XM15
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought you meant put it in your coffin...

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Back when I was in World War Korea Nam.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I really doubt this jerk is telling the truth. Though I have yet to go into the military, I know many people who have/did/are in the service, and the idea of "giving" someone a MP5 is laughable. Now, is it possible that his army doggie buddies bought this idiot a "civilian" semi HK MP5 before the ban? Maybe... But "given" a military one? I don't think so, more likely this guy is full of shit...

[-!-]

Let me put it this way. My older brother is in the USBP in California, and lives next to a USN Seal. His neighbor didn't buy his own AR before the gun ban in Calif. Now, he can't BUY and OWN privately what the Govt GIVES him to go around and kill people with! This current Seal office can't get one, I doubt that the service "gave" one to this jerk off. It's more likely that this guy obtained this thing on his own (legally or illegally you can debate) and cooked up this stupid story. Makes me fucking SICK!
[puke]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#17]
He's most likely yanking your chain.  Uncle Sam does not willingly part with MP5's.  And most Special Ops guys, while they are proud of their service, usually are very tight lipped about it.  [frag]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I am going to say no. Everywhere in the military small arms and even their parts are very tightly controlled. You can't just take it home. If you lose/steal a weapon you can pretty much kiss your normal life good bye. The only possible way is if it was captured in the Gulf or something, and maybe welded shut. For example, in Bosnia/Kosovo there are allot of captured weapons around. Everything from old bolt actions, new in the grease M1A1 Thompsons, to MP5SDs. In the regular Army they end up getting destroyed, but some make their way to the SOF compound. THere they are used for "training" or sometimes welded shut and given away as a gift or something. But the times I have seen this it is always to units or whatever and not to individuals. Even if it was captured, SEALs are not so stupid to just give away a captured machine gun. There has to be paperwork, stuff like that. War Tropies have not been allowed since Vietnam or so, though I know that some SKSs, Yugo M76s, Drags and other non-full auto guns make there way back from the Balkans.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Back when I was in World War Korea Nam.....
View Quote

You were there too? This ain't no shit! On a spring day in October of 1817 those Nazi V.C. Chinamen were all around me, and that P.O.S. M1 carbine was bouncing those lousy steel cored .223 M193 bullets off their skulls. I had to kill every last one of them with the butt of my rifle. I'm 19 now and it still haunts me. After that I carried an OICW, and never had another problem with stopping power. [sniper]

Really, it's true!

Kyle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top