Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2001 5:35:38 AM EDT
Say somebody wanted to join but didn't want to go "full time." This person figures the reserves or National Guard is the way to go.

After basic (and the remainder of the "term" of service) would this person be legally (or otherwise) barred from any activity which has a high risk of injury? Therefore rendering the reservist unable to perform his duties?

Or does the military not have a say in this regard?
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you suggesting being in the military but exempt from call-up or activation? Not going to happen. Too many kids in the Guard and Reserves before Desert Storm got a big surprise when they got called up; whined about "I'm only in this for the money" and tried to get out.
Even Guard duty has its risks. Soldiers die every year at annual training or during drill weekends. Rarely publicized, but it happens.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are you suggesting being in the military but exempt from call-up or activation? Not going to happen. Too many kids in the Guard and Reserves before Desert Storm got a big surprise when they got called up; whined about "I'm only in this for the money" and tried to get out.
Even Guard duty has its risks. Soldiers die every year at annual training or during drill weekends. Rarely publicized, but it happens.
View Quote

Whoa Nellie!

I'm talking about someone who wants to join but loves to skydive, race motocross, and wrestles alligators for fun!

Can the military legally bar this person from his activities b/c he could get hurt and not be able to perform his duties as a reservist?
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Wobblin... these days reservists are the first ones to go.  Reservists can deploy much faster than an active duty unit.  When I was in the reserves, I always had my bags packed and ready for anything...

And of course the military can't bar you from living your life Wobblin!  Reservists serve one weekend a month 2 weeks a year.  The rest of the time is your time...
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Reserve units can deploy faster than active duty units?

Without starting a flame war I'd like to know if this is typical of the military.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#5]
How about the question, folks?

Anyone in the know?
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Gus,

Now that I give that some thought, I believe it may actually be true.  I did several years active and am now National Guard.  Our gear is always ready and it usually takes a few hours to process out.  I remember a good bit more red tape on the active side.

I'm sure this varies by unit and mission.  Something tells me the specops boys don't need to go through mobility processing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]
It took 8th Tank Bn (4 th Mar Div) several months to deploy to SWA . I got my initial call in late October, left for Camp Lagoon in November arrived in SWA Dec. 22. Unless they have drasticaly changed things I would assume this is how it still is. I am not taking into account partial unit deployments to continuing goatf*ck operations in kosovo and eltswhere.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#9]
You can do whatever the hell you wan't!!( skydive,.....etc)  they don't cover your medical bills if thats what you are asking.  But you do have SGLI.

WE deploy for Bosnia in August.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I was a tanker myself with 1st Tank Battalion at scenic Camp Las Flores (MCB Camp Pendleton) before re-enlisting for the Infantry.  I can imagine how difficult it would be to deploy a reserve tank unit.  I'm thinking logistical nightmare.  Don't we have a lot of our armor on the MPS ships?

Say, Early Chow Recruit, did you go to Ft. Know for your "Basic Aarmor Training?"
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Active duty or reserve you can participate in "hig risk" sports.
On active duty you will be covered by medical, I can only "guess" that if you are a reservist your medical bills won't be covered unless you are on either active duty or during a drill weekend.

I myself have been injured more than once riding dirtbikes, playing football and surfing.
In my last command we had a guy who was one of those freestyle snowboarders. He broke his ankle 3 times in a 18 month period while snowboarding. He missed the first 2 months of a deployment due to this so they did a page 13 entry on him that basicly told him that if he continued to injure himself, and if the injuries interfered with his military dutys he MAY be seperated. He stopped the radical freestyle snowboarding after that.

I would say that if you are a reservist and you injure yourself no matter what you are doing, if it affects your deployment status it may affect your abality to remain in the service as a reservist.

GEF
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#13]
oops
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks.

That's all I wanted to know.

Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Went to TOW school at camp wilson, only sent 12 hummers to SWA, got the rest from MPS minus the majority of the thermal sights (each TOW hummer is stored on ship as a unit complete w/weapon minus rounds). In late January I saw an LAV drive by with a TOW thermal sight bolted to the turret in front of the comanders hatch, after a formal Marine greeting "good day fellow leatherneck" (not) and a polite question as to where they got the night sight (not) I was rewarded with the bad finger, extra words for my vocabulary and some dust he left.

oops, sorry about the war story
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
BTW, that one weekend a month 2 weeks a year crap goes out the door at E-5, and more so the higher you go. For me now its more like 4-6 days a month, 4-8 weeks a year.
View Quote

You are absolutely correct!  In my unit, senior staff members do at least 2 UTAs a month, and time during the week as well.  I can't remember the time I only did 15 days of annual tour or TDY time.  With the active duty units manned at extremely low levels, many of their responsibilities are passing to the Reserves.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Wobblin Goblin:

Whoa Nellie!

I'm talking about someone who wants to join but loves to skydive, race motocross, and wrestles alligators for fun!

Can the military legally bar this person from his activities b/c he could get hurt and not be able to perform his duties as a reservist?
View Quote

Nope. I skydive. I'm in the Navy Reserves. They know about it. The reserves can always put you in an office job. NO matter what they will find work for you. Or process you out in an Admin or Medical Discharge. Then again I am not in mil admin so I might just be talking outta my ass here. But in my case I have not been told I couldn't jump outta planes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Scipio
That is not really the case, most reserve/NG units are on a 30 day deployment window.  For SWA, none of the NG units could make that time hack.  There is a big difference between having your gear back up, almost all units should be able to do that in a few day and being to execute your wartime mission.  That is one of the draw back with the reserve/NG system.  It will take between 30-120 days to get almost all the combat arms unit (other than Air National Guard Units) to be considered combat ready.

Other than the SOCOM troops first ground units on scene will either be the ABQRF from the 18th Airborne Corps or a Marine MEU (SOC), that will be followed shortly by a build up of army forces and or a Marine ACF forming a MEB.  The Navy can normally get a CVNBG to any AO within a few days, the Air Force would also start out by sending an Expeditionary Air Wing and build up from there.

But to answer the question, no the military only owns you during IET, drill weekends and the annual training.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#19]
If on leave or during your free 28 days you injure yourself, and this injury prevents you from doing your duties as a servicemember, an investigation is done to determine if the injury was sustained "in the line of duty".

If you break your ankle skydiving the week before drill, believe it or not, that is considered "in the line of duty".

As long as there is no unlawful or negligent behavior involved you're OK.

Break your ankle DRUNKEN skydiving and you may be in trouble (if they can prove it).

I have done MANY of these investigations.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I remember once during rifle qual. week we used to get off for the day after returning from the range. -(Usually before 12 P.M. because we got there at 5)- I had a buddy who had decided to go to the beach to get a tan. He fell asleep under the hot So.Cal. sun and woke up with a blistering sunburn. Needless to say, he was not able to shoulder his rifle the following day. I remember my C.W.O. rattling off all the various charges that could be brought against him for being unable to perform his duty. In the end he let him off with a negative Page 11 entry with the promise that if he or any one of us ever did the same thing those charges would be dished out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top