Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2007 10:06:10 AM EDT
This is a very interesting 23-minute presentation on how scientists are working on extending the lives of humans:

www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/39
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Ouch, my retirement plan will run out of cash before then.  

- CD
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Think of the "life without parole" sentences.

Too expensive.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#3]
All you'll need is an endless supply of fetuses to eat.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Fuck that.  As someone who believes in God and an afterlife I can think of no worse hell than near-immortality in this fallen world.  Heck, I already think 80 years is too much.  I think I'll go for somewhere in Africa for my next incarnation.  30 years tops + full auto AK's FTW.

Wait, you believe in God and reincarnation?  Just wondering...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This will only be available to the Financial and political elites and their families.

No, under Hillary's plan everybody will be eligible and it will be free.  Just ask her.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Did you watch the video?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#8]
THE SPICE MUST FLOW!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
THE SPICE MUST FLOW!

NICE!  I think I'll make my 15 month old watch Dude this afternoon...
~Dg84
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't wanna be around for the true downfall of Amerika....
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't want to live nearly that long.  Hell, I wouldn't really want to live past 80 or 100 if I had my say.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#12]
That guy is painful to watch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm really not sure I'd enjoy living THAT long.

Besides odds being what they are, even if there was a way to accomplish this biologically, my ass would still end up dead anyway. There are plenty of unnatural ways to die, and I have a hunch it'll be tricky dodging them all over 10 lifetimes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you watch the video?

Yes I did, I think that guy is loony (and probably speeding his ass off by the way he speaks).
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.  As someone who believes in God and an afterlife I can think of no worse hell than near-immortality in this fallen world.  Heck, I already think 80 years is too much.  I think I'll go for somewhere in Africa for my next incarnation.  30 years tops + full auto AK's FTW.

Yes.  I am a Platonic/Origenist Christian.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
THE SPICE MUST FLOW!

I was thinking Logan's Run

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
I'm really not sure I'd enjoy living THAT long.

Besides odds being what they are, even if there was a way to accomplish this biologically, my ass would still end up dead anyway. There are plenty of unnatural ways to die, and I have a hunch it'll be tricky dodging them all over 10 lifetimes. h
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
THE SPICE MUST FLOW!

Luck
Alac

Sanctuary!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I would enjoy a thousand-year lifespan.

I could hit a million posts.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#20]
You want to see a real nanny state with no sharp edges, just wait until life extension technology happens.

Everything will be outlawed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#21]
havent viewed the vid... but this is what i think..

within 200 years or less, science will understand enough about biomechanics to be allow a human body to replace its parts forever.. no natural death ever. period.. adjust your age to say.. 25 physically..

and its scarry.. imagine living for 1000 years, things will change, people will die of other causes and you will be left with a 1000 years of old memories but you will never die unless there's an accident or you commit suicide...

think about that for a while.. folks wanna live forever... they might not like what they wish for..
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#22]
kookoo kookoo
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Too expensive.

Yes, what will this do to the institution of marriage?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Joan Rivers would end up looking like a prolapsed rectum.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  I am a Platonic/Origenist Christian.

Okay, I'm not knockin your beliefs or anything, just curious.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

within 200 years or less, science will understand enough about biomechanics to be allow a human body to replace its parts forever.. no natural death ever. period.. adjust your age to say.. 25 physically..

and its scarry.. imagine living for 1000 years, things will change, people will die of other causes and you will be left with a 1000 years of old memories but you will never die unless there's an accident or you commit suicide...

think about that for a while.. folks wanna live forever... they might not like what they wish for..

You get sick of it, you kill yourself.  I don't see the problem.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I would most certainly die of unatural causes, because sometime in the 1000 yrs I live they will try and take my guns

So, I see no real benefit to me
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too expensive.

Yeah, marriage should come with an opt-in/opt-out clause that can be excercised once every 100 years.  The thought of being 700 years old is interesting, but the thought of being married to a 700 year old is terrifying!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

What about the brain? How long do those last before they fail and need to be replaced?  It seems to me like if you got a new brain, you would be an entirely new person.  Or maybe they will "download" your "soul" into a new brain?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Stay 22 physically forever?  Hell yeah, bring it fucking on.  Theres no way in hell I'd get bored... think of all the cool shit you could do, all the different places you could visit, all the different 22 year old pie you could have!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ouch, my retirement plan will run out of cash before then.  

- CD

But you'll be able to work until your 800
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
THE SPICE MUST FLOW!

I was thinking Methuselah’s Children

The Howard Families are in the news again.

If somebody happens to spy a red-head named Woodrow Wilson Smith, AKA Lazarus Long, let me know, OK?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Interesting. Could the human mind as we know it handle the changes that would occur in a thousand years  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#34]
1000 year lifespan??? Shit would get old and boring REALLY quick!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If somebody happens to spy a red-head named Woodrow Wilson Smith, AKA Lazarus Long, let me know, OK?

May be wearing a kilt and several concealed weapons.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Could you imagine the fat people that 1000 year lifespans will create.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd be happy with just 250.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
THE SPICE MUST FLOW!

Will there be time enough for love?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

What about the brain? How long do those last before they fail and need to be replaced?  It seems to me like if you got a new brain, you would be an entirely new person.  Or maybe they will "download" your "soul" into a new brain?

Ghost in the Shell, man.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Never gonna happen.  We probably will be able to extend human life to about 150 years through modern chemistry, but 1,000 is just pipe dream.

Your body naturally wears out, no matter how much you exercise or how well you take care of yourself.  (Note:  It's a good idea to take care of yourself, if only to be able to use the bathroom without any help when you're 80).

But oxidative metabolism naturally includes the production of free radicals, and those chemicals cause cellular damage.  Over time, they eventually will take their toll.  It's part of the process.  You can't escape it.

These "miracle drugs" that supposedly would allow you to live to 1,000 years probably would carry trade-offs that most people here would consider to be unacceptable.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too expensive.

Read Heinlein and Time Enough for Love

Marriages of 50 to 100 years length before both sides getting divorced are the norm.   Both husband and wife still friend’s centuries after divorce.  (Really.)  Children by the double digit; sometimes 100 children per mother.

Assisted suicide for those who have tired of life legal and very proper and a moral imperative.  What to live another 100 years or so check into a Rejuvenation Center.  They will fix you right up.  But IF you don’t want to live another 200 years the Rejuvenation Center will plug you into a machine and hand you the kill button.  When you are ready all you have to do is push it.  You can change your mind right up until you push the button.

There are more to it, you will just have to read the novel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Id be all for it. Just imaging how much money you could make. At birth if your parents had the foresight to give 5k to an investment firm that averages 15% a year (mine is at 16.9 for the past 6) which is 3x the average yearly rate of inflation you'd have 7,471,883,515,316,120,000.00 dollars by the time you were 250 without even adding anything to it.

Sign me up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Joan Rivers would end up looking like a prolapsed rectum.
And how is that from what she looks like now?

*rimshot*
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Never gonna happen.  We probably will be able to extend human life to about 150 years through modern chemistry, but 1,000 is just pipe dream.

Your body naturally wears out, no matter how much you exercise or how well you take care of yourself.  (Note:  It's a good idea to take care of yourself, if only to be able to use the bathroom without any help when you're 80).

But oxidative metabolism naturally includes the production of free radicals, and those chemicals cause cellular damage.  Over time, they eventually will take their toll.  It's part of the process.  You can't escape it.

These "miracle drugs" that supposedly would allow you to live to 1,000 years probably would carry trade-offs that most people here would consider to be unacceptable.

Like a limp dick
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I envision owning page 3.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He’s got an answer for that.  I forget just how that’s accomplished.
Something about selected memories being erased.  So that "I was looking for a book I was reading.  And then I remembered that I had already read it (some) centuries ago " doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too expensive.

Marriages of 50 to 100 years length before both sides getting divorced are the norm.   Both husband and wife still friend’s centuries after divorce.  (Really.)  Children by the double digit; sometimes 100 children per mother.

Assisted suicide for those who have tired of life legal and very proper and a moral imperative.  What to live another 100 years or so check into a Rejuvenation Center.  They will fix you right up.  But IF you don’t want to live another 200 years the Rejuvenation Center will plug you into a machine and hand you the kill button.  When you are ready all you have to do is push it.  You can change your mind right up until you push the button.

There are more to it, you will just have to read the novel.

My wife doesn't find the concept of line marriages nearly as fascinating as I do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top