Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 4:03:49 PM EDT
Just got a call from Vegas, unknown number but I answered anyways.  Dialouge went like this:

Me- "Hello?"
Caller- "Hi, is Mary there?"
Me- "No, sorry I think you have the wrong number"
Caller- "Sorry, well maybe you can help me anyways.  I'm calling because we're looking for sponsors to help raise money for...... *blah blah blah*...  Do you think you could help us out?
Me- "Sorry, I can't today, have a good one, bye."
Caller- "Well if I understand, you're... *I hang up*"

I thought I was talking to a real person up until the very last line, but I heard a slight "click" as soon as I started speaking that must have been the start of the recording.  Looking back on it, the caller was perfectly timed, well spoken, reassuring, and articulate; sounded like the voice of a perfect human.  There's no way it could have been a real person.  I know a lot of customer service centers use pretty sophisticated robo dialogues to help users navigate without "press one for accounting... Two for.."  but this was the first time I was cold called by one.

Beware Arfcom, the machines are rising.  Trade in your HP for AP before its too late.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd happily use some kind of audible hack (fax/modem style) that would fuck up robo callers servers that I could initiate when I realize it's a robo call.

Kind of like the original Captain Crunch hackers used to take over the phone company systems.

ETA maybe like a drop database command.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd happily use some kind of audible hack (fax/modem style) that would fuck up robo callers servers that I could initiate when I realize it's a robo call.

Kind of like the original Captain Crunch hackers used to take over the phone company systems.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Just send them to Jolly Roger Telephone Company in the future. It is a robot that wastes the time of robocallers and telemarketers alike.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]

I got one like that the other day

There was a slight pause before the machines response, I hung up

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask them what day yesterday was.  Always works.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't know who it is, don't answer. If it's important, they'll leave a message.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
If im not sure if a number I'll answer and immediately mute. Robo calls will disconnect after a few seconds and that is your best chance of getting off their call list. Only once did I hear "hello?"
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you don't know who it is, don't answer. If it's important, they'll leave a message.
View Quote

My motto.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ask them what day yesterday was.  Always works.
View Quote

Or ask them if they are a robot.  If you ask, they have to tell you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My motto.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My motto.

If it is the home phone I just don't answer period.  Anyone important that I actually want to talk to will call me on my cell.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If it is the home phone I just don't answer period.  Anyone important that I actually want to talk to will call me on my cell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My motto.

Then why have a home phone?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My motto.

Because it's bundled with my cable internet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/exploits_of_a_mom.png

XKCD is fucking gold.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]
That will give the telemarketers just a few more seconds before I cuss them out!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just send them to Jolly Roger Telephone Company in the future. It is a robot that wastes the time of robocallers and telemarketers alike.
View Quote

welp, there goes the next several hours.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#16]
May the fleas of a thousand camels be upon them.

Aloha, Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top