Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2001 6:29:18 PM EDT
Hey guys,
  I need some idea's for making a rifle gong, Be shooting everything from 12ga Slugs, to 9mm, to .308, to 30-06. I have heard of people using ManHole covers, Short of going down the road and Hi-Jacking one, Where could I get one, or other suitable metal? I would like it to be as cheap as possible (who doesn't) Thanks!

-Jared
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Check around with some of the salvage yards in the area. They usually have some heavy steel plate scraps that they will sell by the pound. I recently got two large pieces from a guy in construction. Best of all, they were free!!! They were both about 20 inches square and 3/4 inch thick.
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Most welding and fabrication shops have steel stock that they usually sell by the pound.

I would suggest getting some thick boiler plate as it would ring out louder.

If you could find some forged chunk of metal that would ring like hell.

Sounds like fun!

[rail]Railgun....
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey guys!
  Thanks for two great Ideas! I'll have to check around. I can't wait to get a good rapid fire string at the gong! Should be fun!

-Jared
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I think manhole covers are cast iron. They would crack within a few hits from any highpower rifle. Not to mention they weigh like 150lbs!
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think manhole covers are cast iron. They would crack within a few hits from any highpower rifle. Not to mention they weigh like 150lbs!
View Quote

Not to mention welding cast iron sucks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing to keep in mind-you will probably have to carry it. Choose your weight carefully!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top