Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2003 2:30:46 PM EDT
I sold a Blue Label Match HBAR which has a sear block in it to a gentleman.  He wants to have the sear block removed but his neighbor says that he can't legally do it.  I was of the understanding that it is not illegal to remove the sear block and that I was given either a quote from BATF regulations or a copy of correspondence from BATF which stated that, but I can't put my hands on it.  If I am correct in this, would someone shoot me a copy of BATF's thoughts on the matter.  I also remember receiving email from a gunsmith that will remove the sear block for a charge.  If he is reading this, or if someone can give me the name of a competent gunsmith that does this work, assuming there again that it is legal to do such, I would appreciate it so that I might notify the buyer of my gun.  I apologize if someone is reading this from an earlier post, but I'm getting absent minded in my old age.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have the exact link, but you are correct. It is perfectly legal to remove the sear block. The sear block is simply an extra measure to remain PC. There is no legal necessity for it. It just makes it harder for someone to illegally convert to full auto.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to everyone for the information.  I forwarded this to the new owner along with the name of a gun smith that was provided.  Also bookmarked the information so when I'm asked again, I won't have to bother ya'll again.  Many thanks !!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Just curious, does your buyer have a DIAS?  Or does he just want to mill out the sear block for the sake of doing so?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 3:16:50 AM EDT
[#6]
The buyer doesn't have a DIAS.  I think that he is just curious about the legalities of removing the block and is not fully aware of what exactly is involved in the rest of the process.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top