Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2001 8:16:22 AM EDT
I am looking at the Remington Model 700 series and I am a bit confused by all the different models ie: ADL Synthetic, VS, VS LH, VS SF and VS Composite.  I am looking for a rifle in .308.  I realize that the stocks are stronger on some models, but I would like to replace the stock with one from HSPRECISION.  They range in price (MSRP) of $470-$1900... that's some difference. Does anyone have any experience/recomendations with the different models?  Thanks for the help.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#1]
All 700's have the same action & trigger. The differences are finish, barrel contour, floorplates, and stocks. You can get an ADL (blind mag, light barrel, tupperware stock) for around $350.00 new. The higher end rifles will be the Sendero style (heavy barrel, hinged floorplate, aluminum block stocks etc..) $750.00 appx. Get the upper end VS or PSS type rifle & you will have what you want.
Scott
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Nuckles,
   Depends GREATLY on intended use. The VS series comes with the heavy barrel and the HS Pro series stocks(slim pistol grip) - the PSS series comes with the HS PSS/thicker grip(palm swell).  VS is blued heavy barrel, VSSF is stainless fluted barrel, Composite is not worth the money!!- it is a composite/carbon fiber barrel with a steel liner. Don't everlook the Winchesters- the Stealth and Laredo series also use HS stocks and shoot VERY well.  If you need a good synthetic replacement stock, email John at [email protected]    he stocks a ton of synthetics stocks, in cluding my favorite= McMillan.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
This helps alot guys.  One more question, what is the "hinged magazine floorplate"?  I know the used to sell a 700 w/magazines but... whatsup?

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't believe Remington is producing any more detachable magazine rifles.  The reason being is they suck.  Countless people had feeding trouble.  The only two options now available are the hinged floorplate and the blind magazine.  Each are fine but the blind mag is cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#5]
So what's the hinged floorplate?  Does it load from the bottom?
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
No it still loads from the top, but you can access the magazine chamber from below.  So you can unload from the bottom if you open it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Nuckles,

I have a 700 VLS (Varmint Laminted Stock) in .223. It has the hinged floor plate and jeweled bolt with a satin finish receiver and 26" 1/12 twist barrel (very nice). The hinged floorplate allows you to quickly unload the magazine. With the hinged floorplate the magazine spring and follower are attached to the floorplate. You can load from the bottom if you flip over the rifle and open the plate, but it's cumbersome.

I have had excellect accuracy with my .223 VLS even though it's a 1/12 twist. I don't understand why Remington uses such a slow twist on this model when on the 700PSS in .223 uses the 1/9 twist (???). I think Remington should have stadardized with 1/9 twist for the .223, their competitors have.

Go to a dealer and see for yourself how the hinged floorplate works, it's not a complicated assembly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Remington uses a 12 twist because it is a varmint rifle. These traditionally use 35 - 52 grain bullets. The PSS is a tactical rifle & need heavier bullets to do the job. Savage can't afford to have that many different barrels in inventory & settled on 1-9.
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top