Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2000 1:21:44 PM EDT
I´ve now burned about 1000 rounds of ammo through my new AR. I had one single jam (doublefeed) while breaking it in (the first 100 rounds)
My DPMS Flattop really works fine. I clean it every range session and lube it with "Ballistol" (a very useful, non poison vegetable oil for all purposes related to guns and much more)
So the rifle seems to be absolute reliable. What´s your experiences?  
Link Posted: 12/24/2000 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I too had the initial probs. But they have all gone away now.

I can attest for fact that I have put through over 5000 rounds in just one of my AR's. Nothing has broken. It just keeps eat'n them bullets and I just keep squezing the trigger.
[uzi]
Link Posted: 12/27/2000 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an AR with well over 12,000 rounds through it. Still shoots like a champ.
Link Posted: 12/30/2000 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have about 2000 rounds thru my favorite AR15.  Hits better than ever as I have gotten used to it.  Functions better now after the parts are seasoned!

steady
Link Posted: 1/18/2001 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
They only problem I have experienced with my ArmaLite was due to a black magazine follower.  It has been corrected.  No problems since.
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
No problems GF's didn't cure in about 7500 rds thru my Colt post ban carbine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2001 12:01:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The only problems I've had are mag followers, general mag wear (cracked or bent ears) and a broken hammer spring. This providing that adequate lubrication is maintained and the rifle is cleaned regularly.  but I've only got around 2k through my latest ar, although I think I have around 50k through various ones with only minor problems, most are operator error.
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Had short-stroke problems with my Bushmaster Shorty AK, even after 700 rounds.  Followed advice in the "Troubleshooting" section and tried Tetra Grease, but that gummed everything up BAD after 40 rounds.

Just got that upper and an M4A3 back from Kurt and decided that if I don't get it to work it's gone.  I mated a brand new Bushmaster lower with the 14.5 HBAR upper (the previously Shorty AK), and the previously Shorty AK lower with the brand new M4 upper.

I stayed with CLP, and clipped one turn of the buffer springs on both lowers.  350 rounds went through the M4 with about 5 short-strokes (all within the first 100), and 300 went through the 14.5 HBAR with about the same malfunction count / pattern as the M4, so now I'm happy.

They are both enroute to my location here overseas, and as of right now there's no chance for me to shoot them.  I do think though that our unit is going to start running M16 ranges, and I've volunteered to go through range certification.  This means that if we do run the range then I'll be able to shoot my AR's on Uncle Sam [:p].  

If not, then it will be mid-2003 before I can shoot them, which is when I get back to the states.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The only failures I have experienced with my Colt MT6731 has been mag related otherwise its like a Timex.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 4:56:37 AM EDT
[#10]
[size=3]There was a post on the old board where a guy had run [b][red]7,000 rounds w/out cleaning![/b][/red]  Just some lube now and then.  No failures.

I've personally run 1,400 rounds in an afternoon w/out a hiccup.[/size=3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I think we all have had the dreaded "black follower" syndrome at one time or another.  My R6721 has been flawless firing except for 2 different USGI mags with black followers.  On both it would bolt over last 2 rounds and on one of them it also would pop the last round out and at the same time the bolt would lock back.  I would remove the mag and find the fresh round sitting in the chamber.  I dont use that mag anymore. (it is a Department range mag anyway)  Green followers are the ticket for USGI mags.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#12]
They have a rep for jamming. That is not disputed. You can make them run almost as reliable as an AK, but it takes more care and just has more parts to go plinck.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:52:11 AM EDT
[#13]
had trouble with triple k mags. never a problem with usgi mags in my bushy. the only problem i have is a tired trigger finger[:D]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:06:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I feel like sh!t now. Cause I haven't fired 50 rounds total, and of those about 50 rounds, 25 jammed (doublefeed).

Yes, I took it back (twice) to be fixed. Once was a burr in the ejector spring, then I blew a gasket ring (I think thats what it's called).

Haven't gotten it back since the gasket blew (today), so I can't say it's fired well ever since.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:51:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I took in my colt R6601 and R6700 h-bar back in 93. I have most likely being very conservative put 20k a piece through those guns.  Ill be lucky if ive had a hand full of jams between them. [red]They were do to bad reloads on my part I dont shoot factory ammo[/red] .

I agree with the timex anology they take a likin and keep on tikin [chainsawkill]

Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I Have a Colt SP 1 that I have had over 30 years. I have shoot about 20,000 rounds in it and the only thing that I have replaced is the gas rings on the bolt.

red man
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top