Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 10:08:06 AM EDT
Does height of the scope over the barrel line effect targeting? Ex. at 100 yrds, 200 yrds, 300 yrds....

I'm thinking of buying a flattop upper so the scope will be closer to the barrel. I've always been told that you should have the scope as close as you can get it to the barrel. HOWEVER, if it really doesn't make that much of a difference, I may just keep using the scope mount on the handle and save time and money.

Oops, this probably should be in the sights forum.
Opinions?
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The lower the better. You will still have to mount the scope higher than on a bolt action due to the design of the AR. I would recomend the DPMS Hi-rider upper. Puts the scope at the correct height. No FA or dust cover to buy either.
Scott
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 4:16:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You can use a A.R.M.S. sleeve, low mount rings and you will be at the same point as the fixed sights would be, then use standard fixed sight, "zeroing methods!"
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

Actually, I was thinking of using the DPMS High rider.  However, I have some 'quick release' scope rings that are about a half an inch high.  I'm thinking the regular height flattop, with those rings, would make it just about the right height.  Plus, I could get one of those detachable rear sights or carry handle.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

Actually, I was thinking of using the DPMS High rider.  However, I have some 'quick release' scope rings that are about a half an inch high.  I'm thinking the regular height flattop, with those rings, would make it just about the right height.  Plus, I could get one of those detachable rear sights or carry handle.  What do you think?
View Quote

Half inch isn't that much. Go with th DPMS.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
If you mount your scope 2 to 4 inches high you get an arc of that hieght for your bullet trajectory.  If your target zone can accomodate that, it makes range estimation less critical.  The bad part is stock weld (face to stock placement).

A couple of out fits make a thingy that goes on the stock to improve your stock/cheek weld.

Another point to consider is that with a high scope mount, the affect of not keeping your firearm level will introduce more error.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My understanding is something like what Halfcocked said. With a higher line of sight, the barrel must be angled upward and the bullet spends the first part of its travel climbing upward toward that line. If you only had to come within 4 inches of your aiming point, mount your scope 4 inches above the bore center. Then sight it in so the peak of the trajectory is 4 inches above the line of sight. This would give you a very long zone where the bullet was within the size of a realistic (8 inch) combat or hunting target. I think Norma has a website with a ballistic computer where you can play around with this stuff.

In practice, actually having a scope mounted on the carry handle of an AR-15 is less than ideal in some respects.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Update:

I have sent off for a DPMS Lo Pro Flat Top and an Armalite Free Float Tube.  I hope to have them put on soon, and perhaps will take pictures to show you all.  It should be a nice looking sni......I mean varmint AR.  [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top