Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2001 10:31:10 PM EDT
Hey guys,
  I have a couple questions about some BDU's I plan to purchase, from the Army Surplus Store. I have a few questions.  First off, Can I put my name on them? Someone told me this is illegal, like I would be inpersonating a Gov't official. In reality, I just wanna play wannabe. :-) No big deal.  Also got some sniper, and Airborne Ranger Patches, Where do they go, on the BDU, anyone got pics? Thanks!

-Jared
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:57:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't know where they belong you don't deserve the RIGHT to wear them. It can take SEVERAL years for a soldier to EARN them. Don't discrase their meaning by wearing them in public.

The Airborne 'wings' are worn above the left pocket, just like my Air Assault wings. Ranger tabs are worn above YOUR division's/Ranger Bat's crest on the left arm. If you serve that divsion in COMBAT it is also worn on your right arm.

It is unlawfull to wear the US ARMY, USMC, US NAVY, or AIR FORCE patches while not on DUTY.

If I seen someone wearing RANGER, AIRBORNE, or a SNIPER tabs in public, and they didn't earn any of them, I would RIP them right off their shirt. There would be at least one LEO arriving at the scene that would agree 100% with me(another veteran).

If you wanna wear the 'tabs' call your area recruiter. [b]Do the time.[/b]  

IT IS A 'BIG DEAL' FOR THOSE THAT SERVED.

SCOUTS OUT!
AIR ASSAULT!
CAVALRY!

I'll meet all you former troopers at the 'tavern' between Heave & Hell. Fiddler's Green.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You've got to be kidding.  Why don't you just buy a funny looking hat and tell everyone that you are Napolean.  Better yet, get a job as a security guard.  You'll look neato....
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
dont even think about it pvt joker.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:21:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Kevin, as long as they got Root Beer on the Green, I'll see ya there. FIRST TEAM!
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Private Joker,

Apparently you asked the wrong question.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:52:50 AM EDT
[#6]
ask your DI after swear in
Originally Posted By Private Joker:
Hey guys,
  I have a couple questions about some BDU's I plan to purchase, from the Army Surplus Store. I have a few questions.  First off, Can I put my name on them? Someone told me this is illegal, like I would be inpersonating a Gov't official. In reality, I just wanna play wannabe. :-) No big deal.  Also got some sniper, and Airborne Ranger Patches, Where do they go, on the BDU, anyone got pics? Thanks!

-Jared
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:09:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:23:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey guys, anyone know where I can get a Medal of Honor so I can wear it around town and show it off? Golly gee, wouldn't I just look swell!

SSG, the hat comment was great!
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:25:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey Troy, my name tag will read L. Horiuchi.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:33:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#12]
This reminds me of a story I once heard a few years ago...the guy walks into a Las Vegas reunion for Vietnam vets, goes up to a booth manned by the owner of "behind the Lines" magazine (who was a recipient of many honors and medals) and touts himself as a war hero...he is wearing jungle BDU's, has to be at least 10 years younger than the youngest Nam vet there...is wearing his ribbons all wrong and out of place...(CIB has one of those star trek symbols on it...) and he claims he was sent on a "suicide mission" to kill Ho Chi MING...yes thats right, no I didn't spell it wrong He killed Ho Chi MING!!!  Yeah--he and three other "Black OPs" men were secretly dropped into a base camp in N. Vietnam --Uncle Ho had "hundreds" of armed gaurds and he popped the old fart...oh and did I mention that this mission was so "black" that the govt. never even issued him a DD214!!!!!!!!!!!
wooooo--boy....
Linderer almost cut his legs off when he asked the guy who he was with....the idiot says "Special forces"....they ask were you with the group or SOG?  He looks at them with a scowl, annoyed and says.."neither, I was special forces..."  Then he says, oh I was with 2nd Batttalion.....they just laughed at this wanna be.....

OMFG...there are no words for this kind disgusting person.

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Someone told me this is illegal, like I would be inpersonating a Gov't official.
View Quote

I suspect legal concerns would be the least of your worries.  Be certain your health insurance is up-to-date.

Eddie

P.S.  Get a "Budweiser" and start bar hopping around Coronado.  Those guys will love you.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Troy:

LMAO @ your idea for a costume... I actually DID that about 12 years ago at a Hallowe'en party. I used white medical adhesive tape to form the letters "ATF" on the back of my black BDU's, and I had the black LBE and bloused trousers and a black balaclava to complete the look. When I arrived at the party, it was already dark out, and I shined my Maglite in the kitchen window where they had all gathered. They all froze, and I walked in and shined the flashlight in each one of their faces. You are RIGHT... it IS a scary costume. No one moved until I finally laughed, and they recognized my laugh. I actually felt bad about scaring my friends.
Boys and girls: don't try this at home! It could have easily gone wrong, but I did know everyone there, otherwise I wouldn't have tried it. It would have been tough trying to explain it if I had been pulled over on the way there.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#16]
In high school, one of my friends, whose dad had died in Vietnam, wore his Marine cap. It had no insignia except for the Marine emblem. After he was threatened by ex-Marines twice for wearing it, he locked it up with the rest of his Dad's stuff.
Don't do it!
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Private Joker:
Hey guys,
  I have a couple questions about some BDU's I plan to purchase, from the Army Surplus Store. I have a few questions.  First off, Can I put my name on them? Someone told me this is illegal, like I would be inpersonating a Gov't official.
View Quote

Yea, write them inside the collar and the waistband.

In reality, I just wanna play wannabe. :-) No big deal.
View Quote

To those of us who served, yes, it is.

Also got some sniper, and Airborne Ranger Patches, Where do they go, on the BDU, anyone got pics? Thanks!
View Quote

Try a frame on the wall - they make a nice display.

[b]Semper Fi[/b]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#18]
friday i was in the local surplus store.as i'm going through the pile of used jackets i noticed they all had airborne insignias.i didn't serve,i didn't earn those patches and for me to wear them would be a dishonor to those who had.mmk
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#19]
This reminds me a few monthes ago i was at a gunshow, " I where BDUs a lot  and get them at the surplus store."  And this guy behind one of the buthes asked me if i was with the Enginers of some sort. Well i sead what do you mean, he
pointed to the patch on my arm, and sead that was the unit he served with. I never gave it mutch thought until i saw how you guys reacket to this thred.
There was no prblem with me wearing his patch after i told him i was a vet my self. He told me his army storys and i told some of mine.

Made a frend i hope.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#20]
the bdus and the patches on them are like a badge of honor among soldiers. ny suggestion, if you really want to wear them join the military, its is a very good decision, and one that you wouldn't regret..........  i promise [;D]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I wear BDUs during paintball in the woods, but the first thing I do after purchasing them at the surplus store is removing the insignia with a seam cutter. I dont want to offend any that served by wearing something I havent earned.  Of course, ATF patches might be interesting...

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Woow Guys,
   I didn't mean to stir up the crowd! I fear I came off with bad intentions. This was not my motivation. I don't know what came over me, I honestly don't. All I wanted them for was hunting, and maybe some paintball. No way would I try to pretend I am something that I am not. But I guess it pretty much answers my question. This is a serious question, Don't take it as the wrong way. Don't you guys use any BDU's for hunting? ie, Early season Bow, When its hot, and you want something light?

Once again, Sorry guys, I didn't mean to get you all riled up, but I understand why you are.

-Jared
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#23]
PJ i don't think anybody would have a problem with just BDU's, but wearing patches you didn't earn is another story.if you buy used BDU's with patches on them,remove the patches.mmk
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I did a stint with the TEXAS STATE GUARD years back & know how these guy's feel.

We were ridiculed by the National Guardsmen as I'm sure they get ridiculed by "Regulars".

My point.  Respect those that did the Time.

Private Joker,

I know you meant well.

P.S. State Guard was a wannabe service time for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Some of you people are [b]over reacting[/b]
Get a life.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Get a life.
View Quote

Civie
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I just wanted to say I am sorry again. I admit, I WAS out of line. I am sorry if I offended anyone. Please do remember, I didn't do anything, Just asked a question. Don't want it to be held against me. I trully am sorry.  If I get BDU's I will sure to remove anything, so they are plain. I hope you understand. Thanks

-Jared

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Get a life.
View Quote

No kidding. I especially like the clown who said he'd rip the patches off any non-vet he caught wearing them. If he tried that with ME (a vet but how the hell is HE going to know that?), I'd do everything in my power to make sure the LEO buddy he called would have to put me in cuffs for beating the crap out of his friend. People, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong or illegal about a civilian wearing BDUs with unit patches, crests, special skill identifiers, etc on them - UNLESS it's done with intent to deceive or impersonate. Same thing with wearing a police uniform - it's only illegal if you impersonate an LEO. Maybe you ought to redirect your ire at the few veterans who give the rest of us bad names by their actions, rather than jumping on someone who merely wants to put patches on BDUs.

Private Joker - look for a copy of AR (Army Regulation) 670-1 and it tells you exactly what is placed where and why.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I too say over reacting.

Maybe you can purchase some preban BDU's.  Since these should be ok with the Bureau of BDU's.

Their civilian counterparts go around looking for people wearing Baseball hats, Hockey sweaters, basketball shirts etc.  You name it.
They will beat you up, rip off the emblem and make you wish you never wore them.  If you haven't played professional on those teams... don't wear them.  (least thats what I've heard)

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Kevin N:

Get a life.
View Quote

Civie
View Quote

Dreamer

BTW
I am active duty. [b]How bout you!!![/b]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

BTW
View Quote

What difference would it make? I did my time Active Duty. Your just a later entry. Is the military dfferent now compared to 10 years ago? Kinder, gentler, maybe.

I remember being in a club called Huricanes in Heinsville, GA. Some jack-ass was wearing a Stetson and crossed-sabres. One of my fellow scouts chewed him a new ass and removed it from his mellon. A long-haired civilian has no right discrasing our heritage. The Stetson/sabres are EARNED. DO THE TIME. Get SPURRED, get hat.

Don't make people think you're something your not. Jump out of a C-130 5 times and get your Airborne tab. Attend the Ft. Benning Sniper school and receive the Sniper badge. Attend the 4-stage Ranger training and get the Ranger tab. That was the only point I was trying to make.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#32]
My point was that because I had a different view from you, You thought I was a Civie.

BTW what makes you think I am a late entry?

The only thing that is earned is stripes and respect. Not no stinking badges <---parity(lol)

Originally Posted By Kevin N:
Quoted:

BTW
View Quote

What difference would it make? I did my time Active Duty. Your just a later entry. Is the military dfferent now compared to 10 years ago? Kinder, gentler, maybe.

I remember being in a club called Huricanes in Heinsville, GA. Some jack-ass was wearing a Stetson and crossed-sabres. One of my fellow scouts chewed him a new ass and removed it from his mellon. A long-haired civilian has no right discrasing our heritage. The Stetson/sabres are EARNED. DO THE TIME. Get SPURRED, get hat.

Don't make people think you're something your not. Jump out of a C-130 5 times and get your Airborne tab. Attend the Ft. Benning Sniper school and receive the Sniper badge. Attend the 4-stage Ranger training and get the Ranger tab. That was the only point I was trying to make.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#34]
The only part of the BDU that I wear is my field jacket.  It still has every insignia that was on it when I was discharged.  I have never gave wearing this jacket a second thought until now.  

OSA
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Joker, I have to ask why.....I do everything in my power to stay out of them [:)]

Send me the postage and I'll send you a top with all sorts of hooah shit sewn on it. M/R will have to do it though.
Retirement looms!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SSgt D:
You've got to be kidding.  Why don't you just buy a funny looking hat and tell everyone that you are Napolean.  Better yet, get a job as a security guard.  You'll look neato....
View Quote

HEY! lay off the security comments.
You would be suprised.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#37]
My FFL was in Force Recon and has the tattoos. He is having them removed to be more "profesional".
Thinking of all those who tried and failed, and those who lied, who would have loved to wear that honor.
I just think is is sad that they are just ink to him now to be removed, but I guess he still knows what he earned even if he no longer shows everyone.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Over-reaction?

Some people have earned various patches & other insignia.

Others have not only done that, but also been wounded, some maimed or disabled.  Still others held their buddies while they died horrible deaths.

And you don't understand how they could react so strongly?

Check this out: [url]http://www.cyberseals.org/fakers_form.htm[/url]

I did my time and earned some stuff, but have absolutely no desire to pretend to something i'm not.  And I can't understand someone who does.

If you earned it, I'd say you should be able to wear it, even after you're out.

I am a bit surprised that the 2 marines did not respect the price paid by SS109's friend & his father.

Stripped BDU's shouldn't be a problem.  Stick with that.

You'd understand why walking around in blue wools with a PD badge on would get people upset.

It appears that Private Joker has been educated now, and has his eyes fully open.  Just glad he discovered his mistake before it was too late.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#39]
some of you guys are so full of shit, first of all the sniper tab is much like the sappers tab no such thing in the armed forces at least not an authorized tab or accuterment for the uniform.

so joker be my guestwear your sniper tab and wear what ever you want.  and to the individual that stated he would rip the tabs off and have some le back him up.  im sorry man but you and your shit bag friend would be charged with assault.  i dont care who you are and what youve done.  you dont lay your hands on anyone for wearing something they shoudnt.  thats for the courts to decide his punishment.  

im still doing my time, and ive earned some "stuff"  and im a firm beliver that if somebody who didnt want to serve or coudnt serve wants to dress up on the weekends and go out and play paintball, and support or armed forces go right ahead.  jost dont go to meetings and claim your something your not if you a supporter just tell them that.  god knows at times we need all we can get.  thank you

oh and as far as i know its not illegal to wear the u.s. army name tabs af usn ect.  they do it for movies all the time.  so joker go out and have your fun put anything you want on your bdus just dont claim your something your not.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Guys!
  I didn't mean to get cause such a ruckuss.It was 2:30am when I posted it, I was not at my best judgement. I am sorry, I had a lapse of Judgement, Everyones guilty of that once and awhile, even the people who have served! Which I give my utmost respect to. The good thing is you set me straight. Now that I thought about it, It would be disrespect, if I put on patches or insignia that I hadn't earned.  It was mostly for the "Sniper" Tab, if I get into paintball. Just for a game. Thats what paintball is about, "Fake Combat"
Tatoo: Sorry about the bad wording, By playing wannabee, I meant paintball, Hence, The fake combat.

And BTW, I am almost 19, still learning the game of life, There is no way I am going to go to some bar, or something and claim I served. I just wanted the BDU's for Paintball, and Hunting.  I am not saying this as an excuse, but, just to show you that I am young, and fucked up, and I admit it. Sorry!

Also, My dad did serve in Vietnam as well, I think it would disrespect him as well, if someone were trying to impersonaite a vet. I DO NOT, and repeat DO NOT want to impersonaite anyone. I most likely wouldn't even where them in Public, Except while hunting, Or playing paintball.

-Jared

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#42]
[b]PO mode ON[/b]

This shit really irratates me:

Quoted:
In high school, one of my friends, whose dad had died in Vietnam, wore his Marine cap. It had no insignia except for the Marine emblem. After he was threatened by ex-Marines twice for wearing it, he locked it up with the rest of his Dad's stuff.
Don't do it!
View Quote

That boy paid a higher price to wear that cap then many who say they earned it. If he chose to honor his Father's memory in this way, it's no one's business but his. For Christ sake's, his FATHER died for his son to have the freedom a few jackass's say he shouldn't have! [:(!]

To bad a few of his Father's friends from Nam, weren't there to hear that garbage, so they could have straightend these morons out.

[b]PO mode OFF[/b]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:22:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a life.
View Quote

RipMeyer,

What? You don't want to thank our veterans for serving our beloved country? You don't think our armed forces and veterans deserve respect? You don't think our hero died for our freedom and soveriegn?

Think twice before you tell them to get a life. They have already given their lives so we could get a life.

-ChaZ
View Quote

Trying to put words in my mouth huh?
I thank them and myself for serving
everyday I wake up. Do you or have you served.
I do this stuff everyday and I can tell you that NO patch makes a MAN and if you think
that a patch makes you a MAN, More power to you.

Get a Life.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#44]
i suppose that a few of us ar a little proud to be soldiers. it comes with the territory, i am only a reservist (for now) but i am proud of the uniform i wear. i dont mind wearing it for hunting or paintball, or something like that. but when i see some punk with long hair and a nose ring wearing that uniform (ar any part of it) around town it just pisses me right off.

i mean whare does a punk like that earn the right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Private Joker:  Stop saying your sorry.  You already said it once, and for any of these people that won't accept it, F&*k 'em.

Guys, he was asking a question.  He obviously meant no disrespect, and as you can see, he has been set straight.  Lighten up, and maybe your message would have been better delivered in a more civil manner.  And as for someone trying to rip any thing off of my person...I fucking dare you...[pissed][-!-]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You'd understand why walking around in blue wools with a PD badge on would get people upset.
View Quote

PD badge or a badge on a T-shirt?   Just like walking around with a FBI insignia on a pair of sweats or T-shirt.  They *do* sell these at the FBI HQ in DC.   As long as you don't try to represent something you are not.  ie...  say FBI open up.  Or say you are an off-duty police officer.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Get a life.
View Quote

Rip, I don't know your story, but to someone who has EARNED a CIB, Ranger Tab, or whatever, this strikes a personal note.

Bill Schram
CIB, and damn proud of it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#48]
edited to remove swears....[-!-]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#49]
get the bdus, wear em anytime you want just leave the insignia off (including branch)  your name on ther is ok-would be better if you have some sort of nickname you got playing paintball.  Patches are for those who earned them.  Trust me, i did the same when i was a kid-used to go play "ranger patrol" in the woods.  When I was old enough - I joined and earned them.  

Don't worry about the camo wearing-half the fat fucks at gun shows never spent a minute in the military.

Earning the patches is tough, but probably more rewarding than most thing you will do in life.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#50]
In Pennsylvania if you aren't a active, retired, or war veteran of the u.s. military you would be arrested for wearing B.D.U.'s with full insignia! You can have name tapes put on them but if you put unit patches you are impersonating military personel. BTW,I personally think what the police and courts would do to you is merciful compared to what the veterans would do to you! Pa. has a very strong military tradition!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top