BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/27/2011 8:25:32 AM EDT
Police Confront Broward Judge

By Jeff Burnside
advertisement

Broward Circuit Court Judge Ilona Holmes, her sister and her sister’s family says they were ordered at gun point by several Broward Sheriffs Deputies on Easter Sunday to come out of her sister’s home with their hands up.

It was no evening of peace for the Deerfield Beach family, who’d just finished dinner with friends and family, and sent extra Easter dinner to a needy family connected with their church. Then, at 8:20 p.m., police got a call about a possible burglary next door. But a bad address caused police to go to the wrong home.

How much of a mark will that leave in teh officers evals?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Isolated incident.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]
That is not going to buff out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems like these events are posted on a weekly basis. How much more frequently must they actually occur?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I bet their cheif is STILL fucking screaming lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay... so...

I can't fault the cops here too much...

They get a call about a burglary in progress.  They find out the address they were sent to didn't exist.  So they made an educated guess about which house.  They happened to guess wrong.  Of course, there was no right answer.  

Bad luck for the officers, and maybe they could've been a little gentler or something, but what are they supposed to do?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
LOL

who wants to be they will be punished for this, vs doing it to joe citizen
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The call to police said there might be a burglar inside 235 Southwest 4th Street. But there is no 235. Only 236 and 230.

Arriving police outside spotted someone inside 230 – Neville Scarlett was in the kitchen cleaning up the Easter dinner plates - and thought he might be the burglar.
He was not.

Moments earlier, the same person who called police also called the Scarlett’s to warn them about a possible burglar outside. Fearful, Carmita lowered the kitchen window shade. That’s when she heard someone hit the window with something metallic. She says she saw a gun pointed directly at her.

Sounds relatively reasonable to me.  I am by no means a cop defender or a holster sniffer, but this one doesn't sound all that bad.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#8]
The dispatcher could have made the error on the address.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#9]
they did the right thing..... honest mistake.... move along
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Guess who's working graveyard and holidays for the next 6 years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOL

who wants to be they will be punished for this, vs doing it to joe citizen

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Okay... so...

They get a call about a burglary in progress. They find out the address they were sent to didn't exist. So they made an educated guess about which house. They happened to guess wrong. Of course, there was no right answer.

Bad luck for the officers, and maybe they could've been a little gentler or something, but what are they supposed to do?

How about, perhaps, using their eyes in conjunction with their brains, for a few seconds BEFORE going to guns?

I mean, if you're looking for a burglary in progress, and you don't see somebody carrying the television or other valuables away and putting them in a vehicle, or otherwise BURGLARIZING, for fuck's sake, maybe there IS NO BURGLARY!

Burglars don't generally tidy up after Easter dinner.

Morons.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh look, a whole family inside a home on Easter Sunday.  They must be the crack head we are looking for!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#18]
How much longer until a SWAT team no knocks a State Senator's house or Federal judge's home, that would be awesome and epic. Probably the beginning of the end for the no knock warrants.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Okay... so...

They get a call about a burglary in progress. They find out the address they were sent to didn't exist. So they made an educated guess about which house. They happened to guess wrong. Of course, there was no right answer.

How about, perhaps, using their eyes in conjunction with their brains, for a few seconds BEFORE going to guns?

I mean, if you're looking for a burglary in progress, and you don't see somebody carrying the television or other valuables away and putting them in a vehicle, or otherwise BURGLARIZING, for fuck's sake, maybe there IS NO BURGLARY!

Morons.

ETA:  "So what did you see upon arriving at the residence in question Officer Smith."  "Well, as I entered the yard, and approached the window over the kitchen sink, I saw the suspect make a furtive movement with a bottle of dawn, a plate, and a dish scrubber.  At that point I determined that the suspect was an immediate threat, so I drew down, and bladed at 45 degrees to deal with the situation sir.  Can I has heroic award now please?"
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How much longer until a SWAT team no knocks a State Senator's house or Federal judge's home, that would be awesome and epic. Probably the beginning of the end for the no knock warrants.

I can only hope
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Did I get this right???

The cop said he felt threatened by a woman washing dishes in her pajamas!

Time for that cop to find a new job that involves a mop and bucket of soapy water.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I am interested in the impact this will have on the Judge's rulings
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I bet their chief is STILL getting screamed at fucking screaming lol

FIFY

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay... so...

Morons.

Yeah, I guess maybe I'm too accustomed to "cops raid wrong house with SWAT team and hold family in their PJs in the snow at 6am for 30 minutes" and "cop chases roofer inside and shoots him", and this, by comparison, just doesn't do much to get my meter jumping.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It wasn't a no knock. If you are going to whine, whine about the right thing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#26]
"Moments earlier, the same person who called police also called the Scarlett’s to warn them about a possible burglar outside. Fearful, Carmita lowered the kitchen window shade. That’s when she heard someone hit the window with something metallic. She says she saw a gun pointed directly at her."

It sounds like a setup, trying to cause someone to get killed. Possibly an attack against the police, or the judge.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Either that judge is going to be the darling of the FOP by showing grace and restraint, or she's going to have a cops head mounted on a pike in her chambers.  It's her choice as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I FUCKING LOVE IT.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#30]
maybe the burglers watched the family leave for easter service, took what they wanted, felt remorse and called black market merry maids
to tidy the kitchen
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't a no knock. If you are going to whine, whine about the right thing.

Are you going to file a workers comp claim for being butthurt?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#32]
"And, you know, the cop that had his gun on me, he said ‘well, I was fearing for my life.’ I said ‘really! You were fearing for your life? Really?’ He said ‘forget it - I'm out of here."
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#33]
snortle'
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Perhaps I am ignorant and naive, but I don't see why every single no knock raid isn't staked out by officers on the scene to make damn sure they've got the right address.

Don't trust what your dispatcher tells you or what you see on some piece of paper.  Don't make a move until you've confirmed with your own eyes that what you're doing is right.

If this means staking out a location for hours to see if Johnny Crackhead goes into or out of the house then so be it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Perhaps I am ignorant and naive, but I don't see why every single no knock raid isn't staked out by officers on the scene to make damn sure they've got the right address.

Don't trust what your dispatcher tells you or what you see on some piece of paper.  Don't make a move until you've confirmed with your own eyes that what you're doing is right.

If this means staking out a location for hours to see if Johnny Crackhead goes into or out of the house then so be it.

Why bother when you're immune?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Injecting  intelligence and forethought into one of these threads is uncalled for.  

This should be a CoC violation.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"Moments earlier, the same person who called police also called the Scarlett’s to warn them about a possible burglar outside. Fearful, Carmita lowered the kitchen window shade. That’s when she heard someone hit the window with something metallic. She says she saw a gun pointed directly at her."

It sounds like a setup, trying to cause someone to get killed. Possibly an attack against the police, or the judge.

uh-huh.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#38]
What happens when they bust into the wrong home and a law abiding citizen mows them down with an AK because he didn't know if they were thugs or cops?

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Who called the cops?  THis sounds like SWATing...
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Injecting  intelligence and forethought into one of these threads is uncalled for.  

This should be a CoC violation.

LMAO too lazy to pull up an animated gif, so I hope this makes up for it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Well according to some in the drug CEO thread yesterday the chief needs to be put in jail for his officers actions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The call to police said there might be a burglar inside 235 Southwest 4th Street. But there is no 235. Only 236 and 230.

Arriving police outside spotted someone inside 230 – Neville Scarlett was in the kitchen cleaning up the Easter dinner plates - and thought he might be the burglar.
He was not.

Moments earlier, the same person who called police also called the Scarlett’s to warn them about a possible burglar outside. Fearful, Carmita lowered the kitchen window shade. That’s when she heard someone hit the window with something metallic. She says she saw a gun pointed directly at her.

Sounds relatively reasonable to me.  I am by no means a cop defender or a holster sniffer, but this one doesn't sound all that bad.

Exactly where in there was there any reason for the officer to draw a gun? Or do anything but knock on the door and politely ask the residents if they've seen anything suspicious?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Heh, if the cops did that to Judge Couch-Commando's dad, and it was a no knock, the results would NOT buff out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

What happens when they bust into the wrong home and a law abiding citizen mows them down with an AK because he didn't know if they were thugs or cops?  

They kill the law abiding citizen and then we read news articles about how the family members "never thought he would do something like that" and how he must have went crazy.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#45]
About 10 years ago I was back in the woods deer hunting behind the house. Other then my house and the landlords, the nearest house is about a half mile away. After a few hours I casually make my way back to the house with my rifle and my brother in law came by asked where I had been. I told him and he asked "you didn't hear all the commotion?" I said no. He said he just happened to be driving by a little while ago and the house was surrounded by cops. Cop cars everywhere. So he pulls in to see whats going on. He said they were looking for a bad guy. They wouldn't go in the house but had my BIL go in and look for me.

A little while later dispatch calls and says they have the wrong address.

BIL said they all jumped in their cars and went tearing down the road.

I'm glad I came home when I did instead of suddenly appearing out of the woods with a gun in my hands.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why bother when you're immune?

this why bother when nothing will happen

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#47]
[JFB] Don't live next door to a potential burglary [/JFB]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Broward County has GIS/CAD, how could this happen?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I bet their cheif is STILL fucking screaming lol

LOL

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top