Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2001 8:03:11 AM EDT
Apparently, this skier lost control while going down a run, then ran into a lift operator and killed him. He was charged with murder! The sentencing was yesterday. Anyone hear anything about it?
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Skier sentenced to jail for fatal collision January 31, 2001

DENVER (AP) -- A 21-year-old man was sentenced to 90 days in jail Wednesday for a deadly collision at Vail four years ago that prompted a crackdown on reckless skiing.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/01/31/skier.death.ap/index.html
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#2]
good, I hate skiiers anyway...

Ride to Live, Live to Ride!!!

grass riding on 10/11/00!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=201188&a=1478926&p=32717746
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#3]
woohoo! i love snowboarding :d
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#4]
My shooting sports are not recognized by the US gov. Skiing is.
I dont think anyone has ever died at an ipsc match.
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#5]
RICH314,
Yet which one is illegal? Or which one are they trying to ban?
Lynn
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Another example of when "sorry" just doesn't cut it.  People should be held accountable for their actions.  I imagine that in 90 days the victim will just be able to step out of the grave and play a game of baseball with his kids (If he didn't have any yet then that is even worse).
"Accidents" don't "just happen."
The max of six years would not have been enough - 90 days(plus funeral expenses! woohoo, you're too kind - like a fee for not replacing your divets) is just insulting.  Too bad the guy won't be out in time to catch the last of this ski season - he'll just barely miss it, what an inconvenience.
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Lawndart, what if your kid came home and told you he had a car crash, his fault, and killed another driver becuase he was speeding?

It would suck to be both parties involved.

I snowboard about 75-80 days a year.  In fact, Im heading out right now.  Not one day goes by when I felt the mountain was a safe place.  At 40mph, you don't have much reaction time.  Sometimes the party you hit is at fault.  I have hit some big jump and gone about 15 feet in the air, spotted my landing to find a kid hanging out on the landing ramp.  Am I to blame...nope.  Theres just people who are stupid, and people with brains.  Im guessing both are the later.

So where do you call the line? I agree that the dead person will alway pay more than the person commiting the impact, but its a very grey area.
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Lawndart, what if your kid came home and told you he had a car crash, his fault, and killed another driver becuase he was speeding?
View Quote

Well, I would first be thankful (that he wasn't killed) then I would be angry and then I would be ashamed.  After that I'm sure that I would be among the first to say that it was a "terrible accident".  
Of course this doesn't mean that he should not be held accountable - just that he's family and that is all that would matter to me.
The other family should call for his head and would understandably have a stronger case.

I think that a jury trial is still good enough to determine where the fault lies. After that then the punishment should be in some proportion to the offense and the damage that was caused.  One man is dead and the man found responsible for his death spends 90 days (or less?) in jail - I knew life was getting cheaper nowadays, but wow.  Why even bother having the trial at all if this is what happens when you're convicted of killing someone?  
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Nah
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Nightline did a story on this and interviewed the jurors, what a pack of morons. Of anything the kid was guilty of inv-manslaughter and having a bad lawyer. Skiing is inherently dangerous just read the back of a ski ticket. As for snowboarders there should be a bounty, I don't even bother trying to avoid them anymore and never give ground.
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I've skied a few times.  It was the hardest thing sport wise I think I've ever done.  Ever time I went down hill it was a exersize in uncontrolled to semi controlled plumeting down the slope.  And over half the people I saw on slopes where in the same boat I was in.  You could kill someone on a slope without going wrecklessly fast.  All you'd have to do is hit them wrong.  The article didn't say what the victim was doing at the time of the impact.  He could have stationary in the middle of the skiing area.  I've seen it and anyone that's skied before has also.  Maybe the victim skied infront of this guy, I don't know.  

I was a awful accident to be sure but I don't believe the guy should have been brought to trial for it.  The sport itself is frocked with danger and this should be realized when you hit the slopes.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#12]
glad I own an assortment of Pre-Ban Snowboards.  I even have a powder hider on mine.  Makes it hard for Ski Patrol to find me when I tucking ropes! [spank]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Skiing is as dangereous as any sport, as a few have found out i.e Sonny Bono

I dropped over a ridge that i hadn't checked out beforehand and the Damn slope was a sheet of ICE! Gave me new respect for the words [b]"TERMINAL VELOCITY"[/b]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Ka-BAM!!!@@#%%#&^#$%
[IMG]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=201188&a=1478926&p=39848492[/IMG]

[IMG]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=201188&a=1478926&p=39848491[/IMG]
LOOK OUT SKIERS!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top