Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2015 12:01:28 AM EDT
My old man once told me that when he saw Apoc Now in theaters, he remembered Willard calling in an airstrike on the Kurtz compound

Do any of you dudes recall why the vhs/DVD/blu Ray versions have the ending they do instead?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm an old dude lol.  Was in high school in 79 when I think it came out.  I remember the very end, credits scrolling for a while, and the whole time the audio is the base calling the boat "PBR Streetgang" and then there is a huge explosion/air strike at the very very end.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Charlie don't surf! Never get out of the fuckin boat man!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My old man once told me that when he saw Apoc Now in theaters, he remembered Willard calling in an airstrike on the Kurtz compound

Do any of you dudes recall why the vhs/DVD/blu Ray versions have the ending they do instead?
View Quote

I saw it as a kid when it hit the theaters in '79.

Your old man is correct, Willard called in the airstrike.

Isn't there like six different endings plus Redux out there now?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know he's right, but I want to know why Francis Ford changed it up
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation, nor would I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in fact exist, sir.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The 1979 end credits are on the tube.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Compressed Version
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:35:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Freaking outstanding. Thank you
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#10]
It was originally interpreted as a Finnegan's Wake ending.

As the song says in the beginning, "This is the end." It literally really was the ending. Gave the impression of a daily cyclical hell.

Was that FFC's intention? I don't know.

The Redux and multitude other versions seem to indicate he didn't quite get it, and seriously jeopardized one of the most interesting readings of the film out of ignorance, incompetence, or apathy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm an old dude lol.  Was in high school in 79 when I think it came out.  I remember the very end, credits scrolling for a while, and the whole time the audio is the base calling the boat "PBR Streetgang" and then there is a huge explosion/air strike at the very very end.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:51:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And just think no CG
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It was originally interpreted as a Finnegan's Wake ending.

As the song says in the beginning, "This is the end." It literally really was the ending. Gave the impression of a daily cyclical hell.

Was that FFC's intention? I don't know.

The Redux and multitude other versions seem to indicate he didn't quite get it, and seriously jeopardized one of the most interesting readings of the film out of ignorance, incompetence, or apathy.
View Quote

I just finished watching the Hearts of Darkness documentary hoping FFC would clarify his decision to change the ending(s)

No answer
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And just think no CG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And just think no CG
I was unaware of this, and that's the first time I've seen it. I can't imagine why they took that out... IMO much better than fading to black while Brando whispers "the...horror..."

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:43:06 AM EDT
[#15]
That was during the drive-in theater days.  and once the windows fogged out   the movie watching was over   tell the end of the movie.    I missed out on some of the best movies
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:48:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because like the man who told you about this, everyone assumed it was an airstrike on the Kurtz compound.

They had a lot of left over fire/explosion footage, and Coppola thought it would be cool to play that behind the credits. Unfortunately everyone that saw it assumed it portraying an airstrike, which was never intended to be part of the story - so when it got released on VHS he opted to have that part removed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw it when it was released in '79.

Didn't remember that ending over the credits.
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#18]
best word in the movie

nabob!

LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top