Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2001 6:58:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Remember that ANCOC is to help you to lead soldiers in war so that all of you can accomplish the mission and return home. All the other crap is just that-crap. I have seen too many senior NCO's approach ANCOC as a spring board for promotion and return to their home post/unit and continue to f*ck their soldiers. Remember that NCO's are the backbone of the ARMY and that means doing the right thing (not always the same as what is in the regs) and cultivating,training, and leading soldiers!
Good luck and remember that even a monkey went into space, so there is no reason you won't make it here on earth as long as you try your hardest!
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought 2LT.'s were the backbone of the military. [:D]

Sorry,could'nt help myself.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Sensitivity training is for the soft skill pogues.  Combat arms is not the place for sensitivity.  I've seen too many NCOs go to ANCOC and not use anything they learned to help "joe".  They need that in these days.  BT doesn't train them for nothing anymore.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#7]
better watch it there garand shooter.As far as I know NCO's still are out ranked by LT's [:D].

ah,now that we are talking about it I can't wait to get my 'butter bars' after college!
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Quoted:
better watch it there garand shooter.As far as I know NCO's still are out ranked by LT's [:D].

ah,now that we are talking about it I can't wait to get my 'butter bars' after college!
View Quote

Yeah, in theory they are.... but in the real world the best thing a 2LT can do is sit back, do what his platoon sgt tells him, and learn.
2LT= Educated Private
View Quote

True,I usually do hear them called comissioned privates. Oh,well when I get my comission I hope I have a sergeant like you to learn from [:)]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought 2LT.'s were the backbone of the military. [:D]

Sorry,could'nt help myself.
View Quote

Hrmmm the # most dangerous things in the Army..

#1     A 2nd Lt. who says "From my past experiance"

#2     A Sargent Major who says "I don't know"

#3     A W01 who says "Watch This!"

Aviator
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Sigman,
you have it all wrong.

2LT's are the skid marks on the drawers of the Army.

[;)]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:

Yeah, in theory they are.... but in the real world the best thing a 2LT can do is sit back, do what his platoon sgt tells him, and learn.
2LT= Educated Private
View Quote

Unfortunately, that may work in some of the combat arms, but if a 2LT goes into his first unit with that kind of faith in his (her) NCOs, ugly shit can happen. Look around at you fellow "NCOs" at ANCOC. Now picture yourself getting an automatic commission and them being your PSG. Get my drift?

NCOs are like lawyers. The good ones are worth their weight in gold. The bad ones will really screw you over. Unfortunately, too many good NCOs refuse to admit their own kind has problems, and spread this kind of advise. This ends up breeding soem pretty cynical / burned LTs.

I spent two years as a PL. I only had a PSG worth a shit for maybe five months of that. The other two could have often just stayed home and been more useful to the platoon in many cases.

Some first Sergeants think that way about Company Commanders, but it don't take a GED to know what "commander" means and implies.

If you want the responsibility, step up to the plate and earn a commission, back seat drivers impress no one.

Adam
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#14]
GarandShooter: You need to go active - we could use NCOs like you. As in the kind who understand that caring for soldiers is teaching them the skills to survive - not babying them and letting them off work early while tools rust away and equipment needs some serious TLC. Amen, brother.

Incidentally, I have run into too many NCOs who don't understand that. I was running an M16 Qual Range in order to "check the block" for a bunch of non-qualified soldiers getting ready to deploy for Operation Desert Fox. Still just a 2LT, I jumped on a soldier (PFC) for resting his chin on the muzzle of his rifle during my brief. The response from the NCOs in the area? Well, I was told I was being ridiculous, and that "the weapon isn't loaded." And overheard another NCO tell the soldier to ignore me, that the"damn 2LT doesn't know what he's talking about". This was an active duty Air Defense (combat arms!, albeit Patriot - which kind of pushes that concept a bit[:)]) unit.

Unfortunately, our service schools are full of some really sharp NCOs who have always been the types to teach officers. They enter the schoolhouse land with the attitude that the officers will thus learn from their NCOs. But what if the NCOs don't know what they are talking about? Especially these days with NCO switching MOSs like they are going out of style, it can get ugly.

I went to my first unit as an Lt, having been prior service and KNOWING I didn't know shit, fully expecting my NCOs to carry the weight and show me the ropes. Instead, my NCOs proved to be piles of shit who couldnt get a vehicle dispatched without specific instructions. Live and learn.

Adam
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah head out Decker Blvd and get a Rushs ChiliCheeseburger.  Makes Cola town a little more tolerable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top