Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 12:41:08 AM EDT
Picked up my first new PC since 2008. Back then I played COD4 and lately all I can run is minecraft, and with my ps4 I haven't been following PC gaming.

This is what I got. I suck at interpreting PC specs, so given the specs, what are some good games to try? Will it run Arma? Any good flight sims out? I loved playing all the janes games back in the day.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-desktop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black/8447995.p?id=1219334566969&skuId=8447995
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Picked up my first new PC since 2008. Back then I played COD4 and lately all I can run is minecraft, and with my ps4 I haven't been following PC gaming.

This is what I got. I suck at interpreting PC specs, so given the specs, what are some good games to try? Will it run Arma? Any good flight sims out? I loved playing all the janes games back in the day.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-desktop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black/8447995.p?id=1219334566969&skuId=8447995
View Quote

That's a nice rig. You're pretty well golden to run anything out there right now on high-ultra. I recommend Arma of course, and Skyrim to waste lots of time. Assassin's Creed Black Flag is really good too. I wish I could recommend a Battlefield game, but 4 blows hard.

Prepare your wallet to be raped by Steam sales as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Skyrim with mods is pretty great.

The witcher 2.

Far Cry 3/4

Insurgency

Wolfenstein: the new order

There's a ton of great PC games out there,  and even multiplats will look better than on console.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I've already played skyrim, batrlefield, far cry and all those on PS3/4. Looking for PC exclusive games more or less. Flight sims, are there no more great flight sims
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've already played skyrim, batrlefield, far cry and all those on PS3/4. Looking for PC exclusive games more or less. Flight sims, are there no more great flight sims
View Quote
look up the dcs flight sims

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have friends with computers or tablets I highly recommend the Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator.

You can not play it solo unless you have a high end tablet, and one that could ideally display on your TV.  Then you'd set the tablet as the server and pilot the ship from your PC.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
ARMA 3!!!

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ah.  Then DCS as others mentioned.  Also, 2 space flight games - Star Citizen (has it's own massive thread here) and Elite Dangerous.

Do you like strategy games?  If so, there are a ton of PC only games out there (total war series, etc.)

Insurgency is PC only, and is a good FPS, like a mix of battlefield and counterstrike.

I would still recommend you start modding Skyrim.  It's basically a whole new game when you start modding.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't really need to convince myself hard to play skyrim again

How is war thunder or world of tanks?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If you like WW1 flight sims Rise of Flight is fantastic.

I was just posting about in GD
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Gunz 2

Robocraft

Payday 2

Defiance

Chivalry

Orcs Must Die 2

Aliens Vs Predators
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

I thought War Thunder was terrible the graphics are decent but the menus and the in game systems were so much of a nightmare I immediately lost interest.

As far as of World of Tanks goes I don't think there is an "Inbetween" for most people, as far as I'm concerned its a pay to win with graphics that weren't good 2 years ago, the game play is slow, boring, and favors people who like to wait. I know a few guys who swear by it so once every 2 years I'll let them convince me to reinstall it, I'll play it for a few days and get so bored I delete it. Did I mention that shit is like 27 gigs after the updates?

I'm really not a fan of pay to wins that categorize themselves as "free to play" I'm more then happy to pay for someones hard work but I don't like being lied to and trying to play a "free" game that you cant win unless you spend x dollars. Just charge that much for the game and be done with it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I thought War Thunder was terrible the graphics are decent but the menus and the in game systems were so much of a nightmare I immediately lost interest.

As far as of World of Tanks goes I don't think there is an "Inbetween" for most people, as far as I'm concerned its a pay to win with graphics that weren't good 2 years ago, the game play is slow, boring, and favors people who like to wait. I know a few guys who swear by it so once every 2 years I'll let them convince me to reinstall it, I'll play it for a few days and get so bored I delete it. Did I mention that shit is like 27 gigs after the updates?

I'm really not a fan of pay to wins that categorize themselves as "free to play" I'm more then happy to pay for someones hard work but I don't like being lied to and trying to play a "free" game that you cant win unless you spend x dollars. Just charge that much for the game and be done with it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol it is only 9 gigs. World of tanks can be fun but seems like it is more frustration then fun anymore. I have been playing since 2012 and it seems the game has only gotten worse. If you do play hit up some arfcomers in the world of tanks thread for a platoon it will make the game more fun. World of tanks Arfcom thread
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Played some war thunder, it's enjoyable for me just being able to look at the different planes. Hell, compared to my old computer this shit looks amazing. My wife was stunned.

She made me take a trip to Walmart at 2am to buy farming simulator 2015, and spent 3 hours harvesting a wheat field going 5mph on the harvester, giddy like a school girl.

Arma finished downloading and I only got a couple obj's thru boot camp before I need to go to sleep. But hory shet, I don't think I'll be playing playstation for awhile

I also downloaded WoT and DCS but haven't played them yet. Silent hunter 5 is downloading now.

Thanks for input guys. I finally feel "in the club" playing arma on ultra settings

Oh, can I play any game on steam? Or will the older games not work? How can I find out what will run on my PC, given the older age of some games? Like silent hunter, the pacific one (can't remember which one it was)
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Played some war thunder, it's enjoyable for me just being able to look at the different planes. Hell, compared to my old computer this shit looks amazing. My wife was stunned.

She made me take a trip to Walmart at 2am to buy farming simulator 2015, and spent 3 hours harvesting a wheat field going 5mph on the harvester, giddy like a school girl.

Arma finished downloading and I only got a couple obj's thru boot camp before I need to go to sleep. But hory shet, I don't think I'll be playing playstation for awhile

I also downloaded WoT and DCS but haven't played them yet. Silent hunter 5 is downloading now.

Thanks for input guys. I finally feel "in the club" playing arma on ultra settings

Oh, can I play any game on steam? Or will the older games not work? How can I find out what will run on my PC, given the older age of some games? Like silent hunter, the pacific one (can't remember which one it was)
View Quote
You should be able to play most any game on steam if it's a windows game. If it doesn't work you should be able to try compatibility mode to mimic windows 98 or whichever by doing properties on the exe file.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You should be able to play most any game on steam if it's a windows game. If it doesn't work you should be able to try compatibility mode to mimic windows 98 or whichever by doing properties on the exe file.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Though not all games are on Steam's client, you can manually link pretty much any game to steam if you want.

For older games, it often depends on the specific title.  If you run into problems, google them; it's likely you aren't the only one having issues.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

How complicated do you want your flight sim to be? Combat?  Commercial airlines?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How complicated do you want your flight sim to be? Combat?  Commercial airlines?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to LOVE the janes combat sims. Commercial doesn't interest me, but I don't mind being complicated. The janes longbow one you had to do a 200 item list to takeoff
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:14:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

You didnt have to leave your house to get that, its on steam. It would have been cheaper through steam as well.

edit: Just so you know, you don't have to leave your house to get games ever. If you leave your house to get a game you are doing something wrong. I literally don't even have a disc drive in my gaming PC. Discs have been obsolete for a few years now.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:05:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Get on steam and add me Rise of Flight and DCS World are good flight sims.

Edit: +1 to the guy above me, although i still have a disk drive for the older games that I own but almost any new game you can just buy on steam. Also I'd suggest not buying much right away and wait until the next steam sale to buy, the discounts are huge when the summer and winter sales roll around. For instance i think i got farming sim 2015 for around 5-10 dollars or something like that, somewhat close to it's release so it definitely pays to wait a little.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:41:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You didnt have to leave your house to get that, its on steam. It would have been cheaper through steam as well.

edit: Just so you know, you don't have to leave your house to get games ever. If you leave your house to get a game you are doing something wrong. I literally don't even have a disc drive in my gaming PC. Discs have been obsolete for a few years now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was downloading arma 3 at the time, and she wanted to play something right then and there. Was a good compromise for me because she got to play and when she got off arma was waiting for me
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:42:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Edit: +1 to the guy above me, although i still have a disk drive for the older games that I own but almost any new game you can just buy on steam. Also I'd suggest not buying much right away and wait until the next steam sale to buy, the discounts are huge when the summer and winter sales roll around. For instance i think i got farming sim 2015 for around 5-10 dollars or something like that, somewhat close to it's release so it definitely pays to wait a little.
View Quote

CG! I'll look you up tomorrow when I get on!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look up the username thread that's tacked here you'll find a bunch of us on Steam too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#23]
World of Tanks isnt really pay to win.  Premium time (increased EXP and credit income) is real $, but you don't need it, cause you can unlock the tier 10's without it.  And you earn gold in game if you get into the Clan Wars or Tournys.  Graphics are improving with new HD graphics updates.  Its a lot of fun, and pretty easy to pick up.  

BF4 has mostly been fixed, and its a lot of fun.  Far Cry 4 is awesome.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top