Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 3:28:58 AM EDT
Okay, here's my situation.  I've got a Benchmade 9053 for sale in the EE.  A member wants to buy it for his brother who is deployed to the sandbox.  However, federal law says I can't ship it to him as he's not active duty military or LE.  Could the member send me the money for it and I ship it to his brother directly via his APO?  I've never shipped anything international before, is there anything I need to know so this knife won't get confiscated?  Thanks for the help.  MJD
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I would think if he's in Iraq or Afghanistan he's active duty so you should be safe. Plus it's only a problem if you get caught.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Well....marking it on the customs form you have to use to ship to or from an APO  might not be so good. Throw some beef jerky in there and maybe a paperback, and list that stuff...*whistles*
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:26:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, I think I see a pattern forming.  It sounds like I could ship it, but I'd probably be breaking some kind of regulation and could possibly have it confiscated.  I don't like the idea of that.  Is there any way to do it completely above board and not have to worry about it?  MJD
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#4]
You could ship it, however postal people do weird things no matter what you send.
Personally, I would ship it to him, put  a couple puzzle books, some hard candy, etc. whatever you have you want to donate to some troops overseas to make life easier.  List on the receipt

candy, books, pocket knife, etc.

list as a gift since you are giving lots of stuff and most of it is a gift, and with minimal values...most of this stuff is priceless to the guys over there as anything is great to have.

tell the buyer, you are not responsible if lost or taken and if he agrees, everyone is happy.

No lock please.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Just send it as part of a CARE package as suggested above.
The only stuff I hear about getting dicked with around here is the stuff in boxes
marked proudly by a company like "BLACKHAWK" or "US CAVALRY".  It's easy
for the dirtbags to pick those out and pilfer.  Just keep it low key, pick up
a random box at the supermarket,  and you should be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top