Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2001 10:43:06 AM EDT
I have an early SA Garand, range 430XXX and it is short stroking on me.

I think I am correct in thinking that the gas cylinder is worn out and therefore is not allowing enough gas pressure on the bolt so it can extract the spent rd and rechamber the next rd.

In my case it extracts but does not rechamber the next rd.

Where is the best place to get a GI replacement for my M1?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The Fulton Armory is the place, no doubt about it!  I had my M-1 "overhauled" by them in 1991.  When I gave them my rifle, it was a basket case.  When I got it back 2 weeks later it was(still is)beautiful, and shoots better then it looks!  Off the bench, at 100yds, 3 rounds of American Eagle M2 ball completely covered by a nickel.  Your problem could also be a worn operating rod.  As far as I'm concerned, NOBODY can make a M-1 sing like Fulton Armory!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You might want to try the For Sale section of www.jouster.com . They have a lot of M1 parts for sale and have a great M1/M1A forum also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
X-KILL please don't take this as a flame or anything like. But not knowing how long or how familiar you are to the M1, let me add this.

The M1 runs on grease not oil. An M1 will short stroke if you use oil. You need to add grease to the bottom of the barrel where the op. rod rides. Also to the bolt rails, the top back of the bolt and the op.rod rail on the exterior of the reciever. Lubriplate was designed just for this purpose. However any of the modern, super lube type gun greases work too, probably better even.

That said maybe you're using grease but since it's winter the grease is getting too thick to let the  parts move. Then use a newer super lube.

If this rifle has recently been refinished or has been acquired through the CMP then the new parkerizing may need to wear off the moving parts first. This is a some what common occurance.

Now if you knew all that then I typed it all for naught. [;)]

Your piston and/or cylinder could very well be worn out.

[url]www.jouster.com[/url] does have an execellent M1 board and you can get a lot of help there.

Foulton Armoury [url]www.fultonarmoury.com[/url] is a well respected M1 (and AR) 'smith. You would have to look but they have a tech inspection service that is reasonably priced if you want someone to give your rifle and good once over.

I hope this helps you on your quest.

edited because I really shouldn't try typing when I'm this tired.   [sleep]
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.

Actually JonnieG, you are not that far off the mark.  I probably do not have my M1 greased up enough.

I am not unfamliar with the Garand but am by no means expereinced enough to know many of its excentricities.

Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top