Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2002 5:55:53 PM EDT
I have looked everywhere. I was issued a pen gun flare launcher in 1988 while I was in Ranger Battalion. I still have the launcher, but I can't find any flares.
The nomenclature for the flares is M-185, M-186, and M-187(dif # for dif color flares). They are 2.29" high .5" in Dia.
One end is threaded.
I could really use some help finding some.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Ranger, no go on those specific flares.  I found some surplus German flares that are basically thick pens.  They come in a white plastic tube with a sliding red and yellow plastic trigger inside.  They were 5 for $15 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
We are no  longer using the older flares. Sorry guy...

This is what the new ones look like.

[img]www.milpubs.com/images/flair1.jpg[/img]

[img]www.milpubs.com/images/flair2.jpg[/img]

Had to open them to take the pic. Hope I don't need em`  [;)]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I just so happen to have a friend who has a bunch of these and didn't know anything about them. I posted a question about them a year ago looking for information but never got any reply. The flare end is a small anodized blue cup about 1/2"-3/4"s, with a narrow treaded opposite end. The threaded end has a .22 blank used to launch it. The flare end is sealed with a green compound. I got one to fire by threading it onto a writing pen with the guts emptied out and smacking a nail that I filed down with hammer. It went about 20 or 30 yards and seemed to be a white flare as far as I can tell. Might have been colored but I was very bright out.

If this sounds like what you are looking for I know the guy needs a launcher and would trade you plenty of flares for one. Email me off line and we can figure something out.

Mark
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a launcher in my hot little hand!   I have NEVER seen these types of flairs offered for sale at gunshows, etc. The launchers came in the package of flairs, and were considered disposable.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Aviator or anybody know where one of the new style pen flare launchers can be obtained let everyone here know I could use something likt that in my bag.

Mark
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 3 unfired flares, I bought because I had 2 of the launchers, but now I can't the launchers!![:(!] These three are aluminum, threaded on one end. I can email a pic if you wan't to check them out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I have never seen the military ones for sale. I can get you the NSN if you know anyone who can order them. The NSN is 1370-00-490-7362 L119.

Also try
[url]http://fishhotline.com/Sunburst/index.htm[/url]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top