Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 6:37:14 PM EDT
My girlfriend wants to change her water from 1" to 5/8" to save some $ on her bill.  She called the water co., and they told her to hire a plumber to come bring the correct part.  A friend of hers told her to just go to the hardware store and ask what to get.  She said the city water co. told her she would be charged if the wrong part is there when their guy arrives to do the installation.

So does she really have to hire a plumber and pay the city water guy, or can she just go get the part and let the city water guy do his thing?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Huh?

Is her water billed on the size of the supply line, rather than metered?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF? How is that going to save water?  A 5/8" what? Pipe? I doubt it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Huh?

Weird.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
DOn't waste your $$$, tell her to take shorter showers or double up.

Barring that, just put in low flow shower heads and turn the faucets down a bit and fix any leaks in them.

She's the weak link, not the size of the pipe.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#5]
This really doesn't make any sense.  Placing something on the line that's 5/8" diameter rather than 1" diameter will limit the volume of water that's able to be fed through the house, but it will just result in running the water longer to do the things you need to do.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
What the fuck!?!

Take her out to diner and her mind off of that.

not going to work out like she thinks it will.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Huh?

Thats got to be the case.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You're not going to save money by reducing the size of the water line. You save money by reducing the amount of water consumed.

That's like saying I'll reduce my gasoline bill in my truck if I replace the 26 gallon with a 10 gallon tank.

Tell her to take shorter showers.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Huh?

Well there is a huge surcharge for a 1" line.  So, she is actually billed for both metered and the fact that she has a 1" line.  I have seen her bill and compared it to mine.  It is a $20 per month premium.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You're not going to save money by reducing the size of the water line. You save money by reducing the amount of water consumed.

That's like saying I'll reduce my gasoline bill in my truck if I replace the 26 gallon with a 10 gallon tank.

Tell her to take shorter showers.

I posted this because I know that it will make a difference.  They charge a premium here for a 1" line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top