Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2002 7:26:15 PM EDT
To any American Indians living out there on the reservations or any gun law experts I was wondering if by being an Indian on the reservation made exceptions to certain gun laws by treaties giving them exceptions? For example would Indians have to pay the $200 dollar NFA ATF transfer tax? Does living on tribal lands give you any exemptions/benefits that us non-indians don't have regarding firearm laws/taxes/licenses? After what our government has done to you indians I can understand why you want to be armed to the teeth. Thanks.

Edited to add: I like visiting the Qualla Boundary here in North Carolina and I think Native Americans should be exempted from firearms laws as each tribe is it's own nation.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Congress has plenary power (U.S. Const art1 sec8)over the Indian Tribes.  The types of firearms owned are restricted. They have their own hunting laws and etc., but according to what I've read on tribal websights, they seem uninterested in having that kind of firepower.  Other research has given me the impression that they are in better shape than one might think and are finally gaining a great deal of political strength; to start forming militant wings of native americans would probably not be in their better interest anyway.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If they can't have liquor or beer, how the hell they gonna get firearms? I wouldn't think after the last "standoff" the indians had with the government (Leonard Peltier), they'd be to eager to give them anything deadly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top