Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 3:19:41 PM EDT
Here are a few pics of my upside down gaeden.  The plants need watering in these pics but they perked right up after they got a drink.

Cucumber

Tomatos

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon Pangea!!

How the heck did you do that?  I can't tell with the tops of the buckets cut off in the pictures.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon Pangea!!

How the heck did you do that?  I can't tell with the tops of the buckets cut off in the pictures.

I cut a hole in the bottoms and stuffed the young plants through, then filled them with dirt.  They need frequent watering in this heat.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
More pictures!

I'd like to see the supports that the buckets hang on.  

What are the benefits of a hanging crop?  Less bugs?

I suppose you could make a drip system and save a lot of water.

Probably a whole lot less weeding.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yum. Fresh maters and cukes! All you need is a few red onions and yer good to go!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
What are the advantages of this system?  Save ground space?  Keep critters away?  More controlled application of fertilizer/plant vitamins?

It looks cool.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
No weeds. No staking plants to keep them off of the ground. Less chance of bugs. Easier to pick.  And heck, it's just a cool thing to do.

The apparatus is just some 4"X4" post with a 4"X4" across the top with some bolts to hang the buckets from.  I tried leaving the lids on to keep evaporation down but mold started growing so I took them off.

If the plants get too close to the ground to suit you, you can pinch the tops off to retard the growth.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't you lose the dirt out the hole you cut in the bottom?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No weeds. No staking plants to keep them off of the ground. Less chance of bugs. Easier to pick.  And heck, it's just a cool thing to do.

The apparatus is just some 4"X4" post with a 4"X4" across the top with some bolts to hang the buckets from.  I tried leaving the lids on to keep evaporation down but mold started growing so I took them off.

If the plants get too close to the ground to suit you, you can pinch the tops off to retard the growth.

Very cool.  We have been planning to start a garden and we have a chance to do it from scratch and set it up how we want it.  We might try something like this.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
A picture with me to put it in perspective. Look at that belly!  BTW, I'm trying to become the perfect aerodynamic shape.

And Isis, my daughters Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog. She weighs about #50 but this pic doesn't show it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you plant any water melons?.....just me being silly.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Did you plant any water melons?.....just me being silly.

No but I did try to raise some chickens.  No luck there.  I guess I planted the eggs too deep!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]
That is very interesting.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool idea.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#15]
That is one cur if you are a stranger that you do not want to cross. If I remember right those dogs bloodline go back as Spanish war dogs. I would love to get one but I bet all those cattle ranchers where I live at will not like the idea of the dog always herding their cattle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That is very interesting.  

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top